Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
IMG_0749.JPG
Got home yesterday to find a swarm of bees I am not sure what kind they are i.e. Sting or not they have made a home is an old set of bellows in the garden. I am just not sure weather to leave well alone or get someone to come and rehome or remove them?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think they are the ones that were being discussed recently in another thread, so long as they aren't in a place that will cause them, or you, issues then leave them to just get on with arranging the furniture in their new home!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've seen a few of that type around our garden recently and even had a couple in the house. They don't seem at all aggressive, more curious than anything. We've been able to guide the ones in the house out really easily, not handling them exactly but as good as.

@DBK ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Bee's are having a really hard time with pesticides at the moment & we simply cannot survive without them. So I'd leave them alone. We have bee's in our garage & we both love sitting down & watching them come & go, its a very restful thing to do, We're not "tree huggers" but wildlife needs a break. If I was you I'd just leave them to get on with life.
Hope all go's well with them ...Robert & Hazel

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We asked a similar question last year as the bees moved under the decking at our caravan advice we received from a few on here was leave them alone & watch them. @DBK

Brilliant advice after a day or so the bee's found another route thereby avoiding us even Charlie would ignore them as they buzzed past.

Hope they come back this year :D

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
They are Bumble Bees. They start as a single queen bee that has over wintered. She starts a colony which builds up during the summer has she produces worker bees. In the autumn the colony produce a batch of queen bees that fly off and attempt to hibernate over winter as individuals. The colony dies out.
As has been said if there aren't too much of a problem leave them to it. They will die out all too soon. Try to stay out of their flight path as they forage away pollenating plants as they go.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They look like the ones discussed here recently, Bombus hypnorum or the Tree Bumblebee. https://www.opalexplorenature.org/treebumblebee
They can sting if they think you are threatening their nest but the colony will die out this winter.
If the bellows are moveable you could move the nest - but you would have to do it in the dark (or during heavy rain!) With honey bees you can only move the hive two or three feet every day. Any more than that and they won't find the repositioned nest. :) However, I believe with bumblebees you can move them some distance - but these particular bees may not have read that! If the bees return to where the old nest was then you will have to put it back and try again in stages.
Another option would be to add a pipe, say 2" waste pipe, to the entrance so it can be raised up into the air or through a hole in a fence or hedge. Alternatively, erect some sort of screen so the nest is not visible from where humans are likely to pass by.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
A Bee will only sting as a last-resort as they invariably die afterwards!
Leave the Bees to get on with their lives unless they're on an intolerable place then get them moved not killed!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I bought this at Stratford .. it can be a coaster or used in the garden .. it is made from stone.

20170619_190331.jpg

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
If the nest continues to get bigger it could be a new queen with workers
following her , if in doubt most areas have bee keepers who offer to pop around and remove the queen and her swarm to a new hive where they can can thrive . This is what I did . My big worry was grandkids disturbing them and getting badly stung .

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
I keep bees and agree they look like Tree Bumblebees. If you get a lot of them dancing about it will be males trying to mate, and they can't sting. As someone has said, try to stay out of their flightpath and they will leave you alone. They will be gone in 3 months or so. My tips for not getting stung - don't wave your arms about, and if one gets stuck in your hair get someone to lift it out with a comb.

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
If the nest continues to get bigger it could be a new queen with workers
following her , if in doubt most areas have bee keepers who offer to pop around and remove the queen and her swarm to a new hive where they can can thrive . This is what I did . My big worry was grandkids disturbing them and getting badly stung .
Bumblebees don't swarm and your local beekeeper will not be interested in them. Only honeybees swarm.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just had one fly through the conservatory and into the lounge ... they are pretty little things ... he/she had a good nosy round then went out again.

Reactions: DBK

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There's a bees' nest been started in a hole in the ground next to my greenhouse this year. I'm not bothered - it's great sitting there watching somebody working harder than me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have a very old bird box attached to the house wall around 3 meters up.
Never seen any birds use it but this year a colony of bee's have taken residence.
High enough to not be a nuisance except its right next to my scaffold tower where I'm repairing the window.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sitting outside yesterday saw a leaf cutter bee bringing a circle of leaf between its legs into a bit of wall with the mortar missing, see why they say busy bees.

Joe

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Beekeeper here.
Clarifying they are bumbles.
Bumbles don't swarm
Beekeepers don't collect them
Bumbles can be quite vicious if they deem you to be attacking them or their house
Bumbles stings really hurt.
Remove sting asap as less poison gets in to you and remove it by scraping finger nail across the sting.
If left alone they are no danger to you at all. If possible put a screen in front (do this at dusk) so they have to fly upwards when they come out of their front door. They like to fly at an altitude of 30 fetish.
I agree with @DBK about moving them but just in case we are wrong, an old trick would be to move them at night and create a bit of an obstacle course with some grass or twigs when they get out as this will make them think they are in a different place. With honeybees you can only move them 3 feet or 3 miles.
For those of you who are interested Thornes bees do an economy beehive which includes a veil, smoker, hive tool gloves and a brush I think for £250 (or they did a couple of years ago.) Joining the BBKA and having insurance is about 30 quid a year. If you just kept this hive and didn't add anything to it and only took one yield a year that would be 40 pound of the finest honey (if you don't force sugar feed them) you are ever likely to taste. You can self teach yourself how to look after bees or catch swarms from youtube and beekeepers forum
If youre still reading then I can tell you I have 9 hives and would expect a very good 200 pound of honey this year (3 of the hives are round my daughters so I don't get their honey). I charge 8 pound a pound of my honey. I sell out each year. I also have manuka plants in my front garden, I make beeswax lip balms, candles, soap (badly) polish and make tinctures of propolis (google it and be amazed.
Bees are also a fascinating study. I thoroughly recommend getting them
I have 6 hives on a flat conservatory roof so probably 3-400,000 bees at the moment and our barbecue sitting area is about 8 feet away. I allergic to beestings. I have grandchildren aged 8 months and 3 as well as both daughters and the only person to have been stung in the past 7 years is me when I take their honey off them. I let them swarm a couple of weeks ago, probably 20,000 of them flying round me and I just had my shorts on. Honeybees are harmless.
Wasps, however, are B(*&S)*s !

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Bumble bees will only sting you as a last resort after negotiations with land owners have broken down. However if garden managers refuse to bring anything new to the table, and will not accept that conditions (especially for the workers) have deteriorated, and that nectar has failed to keep pace with inflation then they have no option but to strike (back).............................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back