Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks for all your input on my quander regarding a 5er and a truck :thumb:

I have been and ordered one of the (below) opted for a new one opposed to a second hand one.. :Smile:

Attachments

• P1050164.jpg
    P1050164.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 135
  • P1050154.jpg
    P1050154.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 116
  • P1050155.jpg
    P1050155.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 107
  • P1050152.jpg
    P1050152.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 112

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wow, what's the wait time for the new one? bet its too long, or it will seem that way anyway::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Exciting times:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
WOW:whatthe:that's fabulous:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Wow, what's the wait time for the new one? bet its too long, or it will seem that way anyway::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Exciting times:thumb:

Thanks all,, Should get it first week in December.. ::bigsmile:

They are even going to deliver from Suffolk to Dorset.

Took "Dazzer`s" and a few others advise and decided against a Navara,, and opted for the truck which is in the photo, which is a Ford F150,, 5.4 Triton,, and I am getting the guy to do an LPG conversion..

The only problem is How do I explain to the 4 grandkids that I have spent their inheritance,, :ROFLMAO:

Hope to see you in a field somewhere. :beer:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Thanks all,, Should get it first week in December.. ::bigsmile:

They are even going to deliver from Suffolk to Dorset.

Took "Dazzer`s" and a few others advise and decided against a Navara,, and opted for the truck which is in the photo, which is a Ford F150,, 5.4 Triton,, and I am getting the guy to do an LPG conversion..

The only problem is How do I explain to the 4 grandkids that I have spent their inheritance,, :ROFLMAO:

Hope to see you in a field somewhere. :beer:

Great 5er and an even better truck!!! :thumb:

Its superb, i hope you have a lot of fun in it :thumb:::bigsmile:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
me too !!!!

Well done Old-Mo.

I was in that very fifth wheel not one week ago. It is a beauty.

You said.....

I agree with that totally.......great fifth wheel and a very nice Ford too, here's to many many great times for you...................
I have with the assistance of the Gentleman at Suffolk, ordered my new fifth wheel from the US. A Rockwood 8280SS in cream, 6 to 8 weeks to build, 5 to 10 weeks to ship......the wait is going to kill me.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
You seem switched on "dazzer" regarding trucks !! Should I have gone for a different truck as "slickmouse" say`s ?

Any photo`s of your new one "robrobc" ? or is it a special build to your spec`s ? March/April it`s not that far away, just in time for spring/summer. ::bigsmile: Hope you took your shoe`s off before you walked on my carpet :ROFLMAO:

I have travelled about 2 thousand miles in the last few weeks looking at various makes and models,, and I must admit these guy`s seem to bend over backwards to help and explain the legalities regarding weight`s, etc. :thumb:

"jim" you can put me down on your 5th wheel recovery register,, from December.:Smile:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Old -mo.

I have got this URL

Link Removed

That will get you onto the floorplans and specifications and within there is a brochure which you can view with all the colour permutations in. We have gone for the 8280SS in Cream with Planked Linoleum and some other goodies :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

I guess it is not so much a special, as all the items are standard it is just how you put them all together I suppose.

I did indeed check my shoes very carefully and if I remember correctly there were carpet protectors down as well.

I agree with your views on their service, it is one of the things that made my mind up for me, that and the "can do" mentality which is such a refreshing change compared to some I have encountered.

Rob

H

huskieracer

Deleted User
Looks a lovely fifth wheel but it looks 8ft wide, is it?

If so then you cant tow it legally on a Ford F150, its not heavy enough to tow over 7.6ft wide or 27ft long!

Sure F150 is under 3500kg Gross Vehicle Weight.

See link below to NTTA trailer regulations.

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

If so then you cant tow it legally on a Ford F150, its not heavy enough to tow over 7.6ft wide or 27ft long!

Link Removed

The GCVW of my Lightning is over 6 tonnes :Eeek: and as far as I know the Lightning is the lightest duty F150 Ford make, Old Mos is a twincab which is a bigger vehicle and has I believe a greater capacity.

No-one makes em like the Yanks :winky::thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Old-Mo
AFAIK they are a good Co. to deal with. What is the length of your 5er?
Your truck looks like a short bed? if it is , it may pay to look into a slider hitch, they are a bit dearer but you only have to touch the cab once to pay for it!!!!
It looks like a REALLY practical outfit.
Nigel & Pamala

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
what a luxurious beast ! but how can you take it up to the western isles and turn it around on the tiny roads ? :cry:

I agree Steve, but the western isles are not exactly Southern Europe ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I am prepared to stand corrected but I would rather manoeuvre a 30ft 5'er with an American Pick Up then a 20ft Trailer with a small tow car.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
The GCVW of my Lightning is over 6 tonnes :Eeek: and as far as I know the Lightning is the lightest duty F150 Ford make, Old Mos is a twincab which is a bigger vehicle and has I believe a greater capacity.

No-one makes em like the Yanks :winky::thumb:

I agree Dazzer............just goes to highlight yet again that we need to have a standardised weight explanation system, GCVW is not GVWR and so forth :Eeek:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We believe that we proved the wisdom of our choice to get a 4x4 truck at Billing last weekend, we really don't know how we would have got on with 4x2. With a 5er you don't have a massive amount of extra weight to help traction on rear wheels. I don't think you said whether yours is 2or 4wheel drive?? having said that' single rear wheels will be much better than duals
When you get it gassed up,I think you should go for the largest tanks that are practical in your truck, and it will probably be very handy to be able to fill up from either side.
We are really looking forward to meeting you and your 5er/truck set up.
Nigel & Pamala

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
as others have said wow!! it llooks great sure you will have great times, as for spending the grandkids inheritance. think of all the great holidays they can have, or as i told our daughter after you have paid the debts you can have whats left:ROFLMAO:
ruth

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Old-Mo
AFAIK they are a good Co. to deal with. What is the length of your 5er?
Your truck looks like a short bed? if it is , it may pay to look into a slider hitch, they are a bit dearer but you only have to touch the cab once to pay for it!!!!
It looks like a REALLY practical outfit.
Nigel & Pamala

28ft,, might go down the road with a slider later (all spent up now). I will try not to go round corners for the time being. :winky:

We believe that we proved the wisdom of our choice to get a 4x4 truck at Billing last weekend, we really don't know how we would have got on with 4x2. With a 5er you don't have a massive amount of extra weight to help traction on rear wheels. I don't think you said whether yours is 2or 4wheel drive?? having said that' single rear wheels will be much better than duals
When you get it gassed up,I think you should go for the largest tanks that are practical in your truck, and it will probably be very handy to be able to fill up from either side.
We are really looking forward to meeting you and your 5er/truck set up.
Nigel & Pamala

4 Wheel drive. single rear wheels.. uprated for/to a tow pack, which aquates to a 3620kilo.
so more or less comes out as a 3500,, I think that is what was explained to me. :RollEyes:

How big or what capacity are the LPG tanks normally ? and where do thay fit,, I will check to see if they can put 2 tanks on as you have suggested,, :thumb:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+

Link Removed

According to Edmunds, the US Oracle web site plus the Ford web site both the 2004 and 2005 F150's have a GVW of 8200 Lbs (3727 Kgs). The capacities increase from 2005 as all 3 US manufacturers enter in to a kind of "space race" with regard to towing and load capability. The 2009 F150 can tow nearly 1000 lbs more than the equivalent 2004 model.

So according to the NTTA fact sheet then the F150 meets the requirement.

H

huskieracer

Deleted User
If thats correct then the truck is fine, just never seen a f150 with that gvw before, believe me Ive looked at lots of them on ebay.com.

H

huskieracer

Deleted User
According to Edmunds, the US Oracle web site plus the Ford web site both the 2004 and 2005 F150's have a GVW of 8200 Lbs (3727 Kgs). The capacities increase from 2005 as all 3 US manufacturers enter in to a kind of "space race" with regard to towing and load capability. The 2009 F150 can tow nearly 1000 lbs more than the equivalent 2004 model.

So according to the NTTA fact sheet then the F150 meets the requirement.

robrobc take a look at the link from fords website look at page 17.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/09_TrailerGuide.pdf

It shows only one ford f150 in super cab that has a gvw over 3500kg. The 163" wheel base with the 5.4litre and 3.73 ratio gear box has gvw of 8200lbs / 3690kg the rest are under weight. It also says:

(2) While F-150 SuperCrew (145” WB) and SuperCab (132.5 WB) 5 ½’ box will accept
a fifth-wheel hitch, current fifth-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with​
these models.

So would be careful with which truck you choose.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
robrobc take a look at the link from fords website look at page 17.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/09_TrailerGuide.pdf

It shows only one ford f150 in super cab that has a gvw over 3500kg. The 163" wheel base with the 5.4litre and 3.73 ratio gear box has gvw of 8200lbs / 3690kg the rest are under weight. It also says:

(2) While F-150 SuperCrew (145” WB) and SuperCab (132.5 WB) 5 ½’ box will accept
a fifth-wheel hitch, current fifth-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with​
these models.

So would be careful with which truck you choose.

I agree with you.....however I was analysing the specifications for the 2004 and 2005 MY F150's, not the 2009 F150's to which your link refers.
Having spent some time communicating with both Reese and Pull Rite the issue regarding compatability in respect of 2004 and 2005 MY F150's towing hitch fitment issue really only presents itself with the Short Bed Flareside and Styleside, both of which can be overcome as we all know why there is an incompatibilty issue?..................don't we???::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

H

huskieracer

Deleted User
Link Removed

This is a link to the 2004 towing limits for the F150 from Fords website. GCWR is combined weight of truck and trailer, take off maximum trailer weight this should leave you with the GVW of the truck. Have a look and see if any of the 2004 models have a gvw of 3500kg or over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back