Been fulltiming since Sept 2017 . (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Don't know if it helps but you should be insured to drive it to Calais yourself under the French owner's policy, the van is insured, not the driver ( I think) Once there use Safeguard who insure on chassis number. That's what I did when bringing a French van back from Beziers to UK.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You shoukd check out how you are going to insure it. I'm sure @BreweryDave Can bring you up to speed on that.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don't know if it helps but you should be insured to drive it to Calais yourself under the French owner's policy, the van is insured, not the driver ( I think) Once there use Safeguard who insure on chassis number. That's what I did when bringing a French van back from Beziers to UK.
Thanks for that info ,will look into it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Quick update,phoned AIB after reading Dave's post , gave them all they needed , no problem mr cridge we can do that for you. 1hr later, No sorry can only insure you once on English soil:mad:..Spoke to Mario the owner & he said he is happy to drive it to calais , but it will cost €1000.:eek::cry::(.Oh well.More phone calls to make...

Very strange, but as you will have noticed from my thread they seem to move the goalposts ! If it helps, the chap I dealt with at AIB was called Murray.

Reactions: kip
OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Very strange, but as you will have noticed from my thread they seem to move the goalposts ! If it helps, the chap I dealt with at AIB was called Murray.
Thanks Dave will keep that in mind. Something Adonisito said may be of some help. I've just got off the phone to the owner and he is going to speak to he's insurance, so fingers xed there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.Really stretching the budget but love the van & like they say there's no pockets in a shroud lol.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Yes, once he confirms you're covered phone Safeguard, pricier than Comfort, but you'll be covered under the chassis number from Dover and you have time to get the UK MOT and registration, in was straightforward when I did it. There is a form from DVLA to fill out but I found it quite simple. Although we are full time now, we had a UK address then.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Go online and order an import pack from DVLA so it’s there when you get back. And set up a government gateway account ready for your NOVA submission.
These are things you can put in place before you return.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Thanks for that info ,will look into it

But the catch 22 is that by then he won't be the owner any longer; you will.
His insurance contract for the vehicle will I assume only be valid whilst he remains the owner of the vehicle.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Out of interest how much is it and how do i contact the current owner and does he allow gazumping ? :D

Good luck it looks very nice if you can get over the hurdles.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
His insurance contract for the vehicle will I assume only be valid whilst he remains the owner of the vehicle.
Good point , so watch this space.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:frowny: :D:D
Seriously though , you sometimes have to trust people otherwise what's the point of it all !

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Doesn't matter as it is the vehicle that is/was insured & , same as here, anyone over a specific age can drive it without notifying the company.
The 'owner' was just the person insuring it. Many vehicles are bought/sold privately here with the remaining insurance left on them.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Doesn't matter as it is the vehicle that is/was insured & , same as here, anyone over a specific age can drive it without notifying the company.
The 'owner' was just the person insuring it. Many vehicles are bought/sold privately here with the remaining insurance left on them.

I had thought that was due to the most unusual quirk of Spanish contract law on insurance, ie that it is always a set, fixed, annual contract. Thus it cannot be terminated early by the customer.
In "consideration" (in exchange for) of that inability of the customer to cancel his policy part way through any such fixed term, Spanish law obliges the insurer to continue cover even if the vehicle changes hands during that year.

But I had thought that this quirk was not to do with the vehicle rather than person being insured, but it's down to the rigid 12 month insurance contract terms.

I'm unaware if any other countries, eg France, have the same rigid un-cancellable annual insurance contract laws that Spain does.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just got email from owner, he's insurer had said no . But thanks for your reply. (n)

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good point , so watch this space.
I had thought that was due to the most unusual quirk of Spanish contract law on insurance, ie that it is always a set, fixed, annual contract. Thus it cannot be terminated early by the customer.
In "consideration" (in exchange for) of that inability of the customer to cancel his policy part way through any such fixed term, Spanish law obliges the insurer to continue cover even if the vehicle changes hands during that year.

But I had thought that this quirk was not to do with the vehicle rather than person being insured, but it's down to the rigid 12 month insurance contract terms.

I'm unaware if any other countries, eg France, have the same rigid un-cancellable annual insurance contract laws that Spain does.
Thanks for your input lads, but whatever the reason , owners insurers are having none of it..Like brewery Dave has said, if I'm going to secure the motorhome i'll need to look nearer to home. .will try AIB again.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Pay a deposit and get him to drive it to Calais where you complete the sale??? Just an idea(y)

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi @BreweryDave,.... got of the phone last night ...looks like the dirty deeds done:)!!A guy from Devon has put a deposit on our van (even though his only seen pictures, but does seem a genuine guy,knows the bessacarr E760 inside out ,used to have the 765,recently bought a hymer 654 but hates it. )we've put a deposit on the levoyaguer & Murray came up with the insurance. Heading home a little earlier than planned to get things moving. We're stopping of at st cyprien (about 3 weeks time)so that I can check all the paperwork is in order & to get Mario to give me a detailed rundown of the van.Thanks again for the heads up on Murray. When were in Beni later this year i'll be buying you a large one.(y).Will be pm'ing you time to time if that's ok.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hi @BreweryDave,.... got of the phone last night ...looks like the dirty deeds done:)!!A guy from Devon has put a deposit on our van (even though his only seen pictures, but does seem a genuine guy,knows the bessacarr E760 inside out ,used to have the 765,recently bought a hymer 654 but hates it. )we've put a deposit on the levoyaguer & Murray came up with the insurance. Heading home a little earlier than planned to get things moving. We're stopping of at st cyprien (about 3 weeks time)so that I can check all the paperwork is in order & to get Mario to give me a detailed rundown of the van.Thanks again for the heads up on Murray. When were in Beni later this year i'll be buying you a large one.(y).Will be pm'ing you time to time if that's ok.

Glad to hear it, well done! Any questions re the importing, no probs. All in all we were done in 3 weeks, and heading back over tomorrow. If you bring her back on the Calais route, I can advise a good place for the mot and the garage letter required.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Glad to hear it, well done! Any questions re the importing, no probs. All in all we were done in 3 weeks, and heading back over tomorrow. If you bring her back on the Calais route, I can advise a good place for the mot and the garage letter required.
....I was gonna ask you about that, we will be coming back via the channel tunnel so that would be great,I've set up my gov gateway account & sent off for the import pack.I WAS wondering how they change the speedometer?.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
@kip re the speedo, your van is on a Merc same as mine. I did order a set of mph speedo overlays from Lockwood dials, cost £55 BUT.........
If you have the same dash display as me, with the digital trip computer in the centre, there is a speedo option on there which allows you to change it to MPH so the digital display is a MPH speedometer. I called the VCA and they said that was acceptable, so I didn’t have to change the dials. TBH that suited me, as I’m on the continent 11 months of the year, so didn’t fit the dial kit.

So, if you need and want a dial kit, I have one, half price;)

For your MoT I reccomended Tomsettkent who are just off the M20 halfway to London. They can deal with your size and weight (van lol) and are top johnny bananas (y)
I can send you their details if you need them, also the form of words for the letter they have to do for the VCA re compliance.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Must admit Dave, Would prefer the digital option as we intend to be in Europe for at least 8 months of the year, but will keep your offer in mind.If you could send the info that would be great.We are based in Essex 10 mins from the QE2 bridge so Tomsettkent would be ideal.Thanks.chris.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back