Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As funny as it sounds it is possible that you may spend most of your time in France, who am i to question what you say
I dont think i could live with that Answer though Andy, but would be happy to ask for official guidance if i was told that, but past experience tells me it may not wash, but I would still ask
We are told to give the benefit of any doubt to the presenter, and if i can present a reasonable answer to VOSA when they ask, I will bend with the wind were I can and make notes
they will see my notes and query them. during inspections

Having never had an import, Were you not made to covert lamps, speedo, and other bits in order to register it ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No the original owner had to do nothing in 2008. The only issue arose at first MOT with rear fog light on wrong side.
I have since fitted a speedo overlay but that was not a requirement.
Clearly my tester had no issue with passing it last month

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Any way giving her a bit of a face lift to say think I will start another thread
Bill

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
It would be interesting to know what reason for rejection was used to fail your vehicle @Willdbill. There is no rfr specific to beam deflectors fitted. Should only fail if beam image is incorrect. Providing the image is flat and correctly aligned it should pass

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Masks or converter kits may befitted to right hand dip headlamps to
temporarily alter the lamp for use in
the UK
by removing the beam ‘kick-up’to the right.
A headlamp altered in this way is not a
reason for rejection, if:
a.the headlamp aim is not rejected for
the reasons listed under diagram 1(except that the top of the beam
image will be a straight line)

b.the light output is not unduly
reduced - not usually a problem
with commercially produced kits

c.the mask or converter is securely
attached.

Rightly or wrongly, I interpret the inclusion of the word "temporarily"
to mean that UK registered vehicle with right hand headlamp corrected with masks are a failure because their use is permanent and therefore unacceptable
As I read it I also think it is retrospective, if that was not the intention, then cut of dates would have been included

Therefore they can never be "Temporary" on a UK registered vehicle.The fact that it is UK registered means that if it has Right hand dip ( Left hand drive ) headlights then it must always fail with masks on ?

Mine are temporary i.e. for the lesser part of my annual mileage :LOL:

No yours are right hand DRIVE headlights ( Left hand dip ) with masks on for use abroad. which are acceptable under the above rules.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No yours are right hand DRIVE headlights ( Left hand dip ) with masks on for use abroad. which are acceptable under the above rules.
No Gus my headlights are left hand drive (for driving on the right) on a UK registered left hand drive van. The beam deflectors are for use in UK AND it passed the MOT
I think I have said this repeatedly

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I got confused.:LOL:
So are VOSA apparently. I'm still not happy that they stole two weeks of my MOT by not maintaining the anniversary .
MOT station say nowt they can do.

So my van has been roadworthy for 8 yrs and now they're saying I might have to replace the headlights. That makes them complicit in me driving an apparently unsafe vehicle for years

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If a tester wishes to fail a vehicle on an MOT there has to be a relevant reason for rejection (rfr) listed on the computer for him to click on. If there is not one you can't just write one in if you feel the vehicle ought to fail for some reason. If you can't find a rfr you must pass it. You can write in advisories. There are some reasons to refuse to test but headlight masks ain't one of them. Bill please tell what was listed on your VT30 as reason for rejection.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If a tester wishes to fail a vehicle on an MOT there has to be a relevant reason for rejection (rfr) listed on the computer for him to click on. If there is not one you can't just write one in if you feel the vehicle ought to fail for some reason. If you can't find a rfr you must pass it. You can write in advisories. There are some reasons to refuse to test but headlight masks ain't one of them. Bill please tell what was listed on your VT30 as reason for rejection.
The paper work is at my sons when I get it I will post it my car is with my son it's in it
Bill

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So are VOSA apparently. I'm still not happy that they stole two weeks of my MOT by not maintaining the anniversary .
MOT station say nowt they can do.

So my van has been roadworthy for 8 yrs and now they're saying I might have to replace the headlights. That makes them complicit in me driving an apparently unsafe vehicle for years[/QUOTE

Your vehicle is not unsafe and should pass MOT under the new rules providing the beam image and alignment is good. The new rules are in fact more lenient because DVSA were concerned about the high number of failures regarding headlamp testing. Your MOT should have been foreword dated automatically providing you presented the vehicle no more than 1 month before expiry. The tester or MOT station cannot alter this. You may dispute this with DVSA but I haven't known the dates to ever be wrong. There's always a first time though.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes the dates were wrong and they only say its out of their control as the computer does it.
It happened to me many years back too.
Expiry was May 1st and I presented on April 15th. Now valid until next April 14th

So what do you make of Geo's post about masks then?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
GEO said
to mean that UK registered vehicle with right hand headlamp corrected with masks are a failure because their use is permanent and therefore unacceptable

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Expand above quote for reply. Not very good at this!!
Yes the dates were wrong and they only say its out of their control as the computer does it.
It happened to me many years back too.
Expiry was May 1st and I presented on April 15th. Now valid until next April 14th

So what do you make of Geo's post about masks then?
GEO said
Dont want to get into an argument with anyone. Whether you think the masks are temporary or not, there is no reason for rejection listed to cover that. So you cannot fail the vehicle. you can only pass with an advisory that masks were fitted when tested

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It passed anyway, I'll not take it to Geo :LOL: AND they haven't made it advisory for all four tests they've done.

Previous owner had advisory but probably because they masked them as though they were right hand drive but they still passed with "A product has been applied to the headlamp"

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just checked history and the first of my four tests was done at a different station and they are crooks.Station 6659BQ
They put both front lower wishbone back bushes as deteriorated and offered to replace the arms at intergalactic cost.
Three more tests at my current station and not a mention of them and they are HOT at pointing stuff out if it needs attention

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So if I went with no masks on would it pass as long as thay are set up
Bill
If they are left hand drive headlights probably not. They would have a beam kick up to the right, which is a fail. If with the masks on the kick up is not there and you have a flat, correctly aligned beam image it should pass. This is also providing the masks do not alter the efficiency of the light output.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If they are left hand drive headlights probably not. They would have a beam kick up to the right, which is a fail. If with the masks on the kick up is not there and you have a flat, correctly aligned beam image it should pass. This is also providing the masks do not alter the efficiency of the light output.
That makes complete sense. Spoke with SIL who is also an MOT tester, asked him the question about beam deflectors and he said the same. My first MH had on LH headlight and one RH (thanks Fiat!!), the MOT tester failed it, fitted the provided beam deflector and passed with an advisory. However, that was over six years ago

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I had some work done on my previous Frankia at a main dealer which had its MOT work done at a nearby truck dealership. When I was given the pass certificate the mechanic had a quiet word: "you've got right hand dip headlamps - he's passed it anyway but they need sorting"!

They're actually adjustable and I'd forgotten to put them back after the last trip abroad. Obviously, not all testers are scrupulous, or pedantic, according to your point of view. (y)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i had no problems with my Belgian spec A class a few weeks ago ,i was concerned about the headlight allignment and i followed the first class instructions on this forum , i told the mot inspector that i had concerns and he looked around at me and said " well done mate they are spot on" .I dont know if the same process is involved with coach built vans, it only involves a few screws
Whar is the link is it on this forum and if it is I can't find it
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back