Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You won't LHD headlights don't dip to the right just up & down, therefore they do not dazzle when in the UK. whereas RHD lights dip to the left & dazzle when driven abroad.

It shouldn't do as I said above . Take the deflectors off & tell him to pass it.
I am taking it to the council test station on Monday
I sum times find thay don't fill you full of Bull sxxxx just test and have no commercial interests.
Or testing to fail to get the work
Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My van is a continental speck van and needs deflectors for UK driving but apparently all vehicles present for test must now have UK head lights
Bill

That puts a completely different take on it Bill, (y) my comment was based only on the UK drivers converting to use abroad and then not bothering to remove o_O

reading other comments it looks like it is going to be a problem for quite a few :( something to seriously consider for the imports, although from above maybe getting MOT while on holiday on the continent makes some sense (y)

hope you get sorted

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
X250 LHD headlight will look like this , smack in the face of oncoming drivers in UK and why I have beam benders. At MOT I have a level pattern.
Interestingly the first owner put beam benders on for RHD headlights which achieved nothing
DSCN9722.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
X250 LHD headlight will look like this , smack in the face of oncoming drivers in UK and why I have beam benders. At MOT I have a level pattern.
Interestingly the first owner put beam benders on for RHD headlights which achieved nothing
DSCN9722.jpg

LHD & RHD Beam benders are exactly the same it is only the instructions on where to fit them that is different. Mind you I used to make quite a premium selling the LHD ones.:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Correct but try doing it without instructions :LOL: I've seen plenty very badly fitted of both varieties.
I meant they fitted beam benders as though the headlights were RHD. This occurred due to using those headlight protectors and putting the vinyl tape where marked on them

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
something to seriously consider for the imports,
No change for imports since April 2012 you have not been able to register a vehicle with LHD headlights unless they have inbuilt adjustment to adjust them to flat dipping like the Hella units used in most A Class vans, vans with standard headlamps you have to change the lights.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have been told that if you are even slightly off with the beem deflectetors you might as well not bother with them
Bill

Apr 30, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Wildbill

I think your van will now be registered on the DVLA computer as a fail on the headlights and if you take it somewhere else that's what will come up when they log it in.

Dochie

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i had no problems with my Belgian spec A class a few weeks ago ,i was concerned about the headlight allignment and i followed the first class instructions on this forum , i told the mot inspector that i had concerns and he looked around at me and said " well done mate they are spot on" .I dont know if the same process is involved with coach built vans, it only involves a few screws

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
i had no problems with my Belgian spec A class a few weeks ago ,i was concerned about the headlight allignment and i followed the first class instructions on this forum , i told the mot inspector that i had concerns and he looked around at me and said " well done mate they are spot on" .I dont know if the same process is involved with coach built vans, it only involves a few screws
No

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
From what Geo said I think Bill should go back and argue that the tester has not read his facts correctly and to consider they are LHD headlights

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Don't know if any one has suggested this @Willdbill but can't you find UK spec lights... there should be some on ebay

(y)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
if you need to take them off bill, you could use a plastic ice scraper
they are a *ugger to remove

I had to scrape and use ... i think meths, but test an area first!!

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Then they will fail due to dazzle
yep good point(y)

the manufacturer informed me that they should only be stuck on for a few weeks, else they stick really well, hence the scraper, it took me hours:(

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Don't know if any one has suggested this @Willdbill but can't you find UK spec lights... there should be some on ebay

(y)
If Bill is not going abroad that would be the thing to do BUT if like me you spend more miles there than here there is no point as you'll still need beam benders. I have no intention of replacing mine unless they are damaged as there is nothing to gain.
Mine passed a recent MOT because my tester knows his job
headlight masks are permitted for right hand headlamps in use in the UK

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if you need to take them off bill, you could use a plastic ice scraper
they are a *ugger to remove

I had to scrape and use ... i think meths, but test an area first!!
It's a very old Van thay are glass lenses a bit of net wind screen washer remove the rest only thing is I can't remember Ware to fit them back on :crying:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
O
Thay are left hand drive from costal motor homes I have just bought one off of them thay even come with beem deflectetors

Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi Wildbill

I think your van will now be registered on the DVLA computer as a fail on the headlights and if you take it somewhere else that's what will come up when they log it in.

Dochie
I know that and if the mot tester is not a moron and interprets the written word correctly it should be OK those are the words of a VOSA inspector who lives across the road from me
Bill

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I know that and if the mot tester is not a moron and interprets the written word correctly it should be OK those are the words of a VOSA inspector who lives across the road from me
Bill
So why not go back to the moron who failed it and educate him?

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Our old hymer (1985 and lhd) passed mot tests until 2 years ago,then the mot centre decided that I had to have UK headlights.They were quite hard to find,but eventually I got new looking units,and they passed it.
When we got to Cherbourg that year I fitted beam deflectors ,
And they have remained in place ever since.
Frankly I do not understand why they made me do it,but since I
Avoid night driving after a horror trip through Madrid it makes little difference to me personally,but I still wonder at the bureaucratic madness.
I do not profess to know the correctness of it,but it has always seemed to me that the original German lights with beam deflectors were probably a better solution .?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back