LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I've just discovered I don't understand newtons. The struts on our drop down bed are 2400n, when we've looked for replacements it says 1700n for a Hymer. We bought the van second hand so don't know if 2400n are the originals or have been changed before. The bed has been difficult to lift since we first got it so we are wondering if it has the wrong struts on. Does a greater pressure make it easier to lift or more difficult? Has anyone any idea what struts should be on a Hymer B524 please?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would think it would be even harder with weaker struts - assuming they work in tension. A Newton is just a measure of force. The more Newtons, the greater the force. There are approximately ten Newtons to a kilogram on Planet Earth.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Has anyone any idea what struts should be on a Hymer B524 please?

Greater pressure will make it easier to lift.. but too high and it will make it harder to pull down and it may not stay down.. so getting it correct is important,,

will have a look at mine.. and report back.. AFAIK ..it's the same bed..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
sorry, I can't see the rating only the number

but I would go with the ones advised by SGS, which are Direct Hymer OEM replacements..

this is mine.. does it look the same ..
IMG_0087.jpg

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for going to the trouble Scotjimland. No they don't look the same. Ours have retainer star washers and the only way we can access them is from the windscreen end of the bed. Don't know if you can make sense of this.
bed strut.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No trouble whatsoever.. curtain needed a wash and it's great day for doing it..

yes.. it does look a different form mine.. and I thought they were all the same.. learning every day..

I would talk to SGS and ask their advice.. they have supplied many so should know what is correct for your year of Hymer

a better picture ..

IMG_0089.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
From Jim's photo the strut works in compression, which is the opposite to what I guessed. Therefore the weaker 1700n strut should make the bed easier to pull down. But the OP's mechanism may be different. To check just look and see if the strut is shorter when the bed is pulled down.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
As you've probably guessed we are fairly new to all this. Scotjimland can you tell me how to get the curtain off. Ours looks well stuck on and has press stud thingys down the side.

Meki

Free Member
May 18, 2016
The Earth
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We've had the struts replaced - this week - on our B640 after looking at the price of Hymer replacements, I opted for SGS - excellent service from them - the old struts were the originals put on in 1997 - the date was on them - the difference in the amount of effort needed to lift the bed is much, much better than I expected

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back