Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi
Has anyone any experience of replacing the gas struts on a overcab drop down bed, my van is a Carthago Chic I44, 2008 vintage, the question is how to remove them with no residual pressure in the strut. I think the only way for the strut to be 'relaxed' is when the bed is up, which makes access a tad difficult.
If anybody has any tips I would love to hear them
Thanks in advance
Andy

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Do it from the side, loosen the nuts first when the bed is down, support the bed before starting

OP
OP
C

Chablais

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi the frame they are on is bolted to the side of the van, so no access from the side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If you search on here... I'm sure there was a thread about changing them... along with the "knack" for doing so...

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hi the frame they are on is bolted to the side of the van, so no access from the side.

Yes tiz so, but! try it! I have posted on here 2 maybe 3 times on how to do it, Yes! you have to work blind some of the time, Yes it is awkward!, YES!! YOU CAN DO IT!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chablais

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Rangitara
Yes I reckon it is quite easy, just need a bit of thinking on the best approach. Will order the parts Monday and the job will be done next week, thanks for the encouragement. I have been busy all week on the van, all learn as you go!
Fitted extra USB charge points, fitted 4x100w solar panels, new leisure battery, Victron battery monitor, spare wheel carrier bolted to chassis, reversing camera, extra power points in outdoor lockers, fridge fans inside fridge and in flue thermostatically controlled. Removed belts from rear seats and superstructure that supported them, weighed 48kg!!
Thanks again for all the help

Andy

OP
OP
C

Chablais

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Strut removed, by propping the bed from below, effectively pushing it a little past where it normally sits, and pop the clevis pin out, a bit fiddly but should be easy to fit the new one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back