Bed Frame Construction (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Looking for some advice on what material to build the bed frame out of. Below is a simple diagram (Not to Scale) of the bedframe I am going to build in the rear of the camper.
I am 6ft 5 and 22 stone, Question is do I build the frame out of rectangle steel box or wood 4x2?
Any advice on the strength of the wood frame versus the steel would be great thank you.

Attachments

• Bed Frame.JPG
    Bed Frame.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 61

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Ah a well sized man like myself (6ft 7" and 21 stone)

I am lucky enough to have a massive bed already, It's 7ft long and 6ft6" wide. Bed base is a duvan.

It's got a foam topper, then thin piece of ply, then slats, then uprights to make it sit taller. I'm just going to chop it down to make it lower profile. Then stick the two togethe... IIf that makes sense. It saves starting from scratch as it's already a made bedframe.

Might be worth looking into?

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Ah a well sized man like myself (6ft 7" and 21 stone)

I am lucky enough to have a massive bed already, It's 7ft long and 6ft6" wide. Bed base is a duvan.

It's got a foam topper, then thin piece of ply, then slats, then uprights to make it sit taller. I'm just going to chop it down to make it lower profile. Then stick the two togethe... IIf that makes sense. It saves starting from scratch as it's already a made bedframe.

Might be worth looking into?
Hi Mango,
My Bed will sit on top of this frame. The internal of this frame will form a storage/garage compartment accessible from outside via lockers on each side. In the middle will be a water tank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I wouldn't use steel box for a bed frame, I'd use steel flat on it's edge and tie it in crossways with a few T sections. but wood will definitely be lighter. The flat base of the bed I would hang proper stressed (read bowed) bed slats onto the sides of the steel flat.
Maybe ikea bed base even..

In fact, looking at that frame I would probably just countersink some thread into the steel flat on it's edge so that I could bolt the entire Ikea bed base inside of my steel frame, with all the bolts on the inside and the thread in the actual steel flat, I could have a "nut free" look

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
My choice would be laminated wood strips. If you got a table saw and few clamps, you could get something lighter and stronger than 4”x2”.

I used ikea slats as well just in a different way.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
I wouldn't use steel box for a bed frame, I'd use steel flat on it's edge and tie it in crossways with a few T sections. but wood will definitely be lighter. The flat base of the bed I would hang proper stressed (read bowed) bed slats onto the sides of the steel flat.
Maybe ikea bed base even..

In fact, looking at that frame I would probably just countersink some thread into the steel flat on it's edge so that I could bolt the entire Ikea bed base inside of my steel frame, with all the bolts on the inside and the thread in the actual steel flat, I could have a "nut free" look
I think ill make the frame out ot 4x2 wood with a 12mm ply sheet on top then fit this Ikea slatted base to the ply. This will also assist with the air flow around the mattress limiting damp and mould.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
My choice would be laminated wood strips. If you got a table saw and few clamps, you could get something lighter and stronger than 4”x2”.

I used ikea slats as well just in a different way.
Hi Raul, Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a laminated wood strip? Ill try google it now. Thanks

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Similar to ply concept. With ply you get laminated veneer together to make a super strong board.
Laminated beams uses the same concept, strips of wood glued together to for a laminated beam. The advantage is you can discard knots, use prime material and end up with a supper strong beam.
Alternatively, C24 graded, or even C16 4”x2” in short spans will suffice.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Similar to ply concept. With ply you get laminated veneer together to make a super strong board.
Laminated beams uses the same concept, strips of wood glued together to for a laminated beam. The advantage is you can discard knots, use prime material and end up with a supper strong beam.
Alternatively, C24 graded, or even C16 4”x2” in short spans will suffice.
Great thanks, Ill ask at my local timber yard if they have this.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I've just removed my wooden bed slats (quite heavy) and replaced with the Froli system. Haven't really given them a good test yet but others say they are very comfortable.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.