Becoming less EHU reliant? (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Regarding Humax boxes. our later version is actually running on 12v via a main transformer so could be connected to 12v van supply via a supply regulator. Also depending on your MacBook if the power is usbc then you can plug-in to 12v via suitably powerful usb cigarette lighter adapter. Alternatively this size of inverter also works for us. Amazon product ASIN B076P9PGX3
I have this inverter for charging items that need a mains supply, it works fine so far.
Thank you but mine also needs USB-C.
You can get USB B to USB C leads on Amazon, a phone charges as quickly as it does from it's own adaptor.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I fitted this for charging while off grid 2xUSB + 12V socket (also Amazon)
16314588469817030873984868344421.jpg

The box is an adapted electrical waterproof box.

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
I have this inverter for charging items that need a mains supply, it works fine so far.
You can get USB B to USB C leads on Amazon, a phone charges as quickly as it does from it's own adaptor.
The OP is charging a Mac. I’ve been down every rabbit hole that exists (it feels like it anyway) and the only solution that was reliable was this one I posted, some USB C (so say high power) sockets can’t even charge the iPad either, both charge on this device - albeit slower than normal which is only to be expected given the reduced supply capacity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
The OP is charging a Mac. I’ve been down every rabbit hole that exists (it feels like it anyway) and the only solution that was reliable was this one I posted, some USB C (so say high power) sockets can’t even charge the iPad either, both charge on this device - albeit slower than normal which is only to be expected given the reduced supply capacity.
Thank you sitesurfer, I have received the charger you recommended and it works well with the MBP, much appreciated.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Regarding Humax boxes. our later version is actually running on 12v via a main transformer so could be connected to 12v van supply via a supply regulator. Also depending on your MacBook if the power is usbc then you can plug-in to 12v via suitably powerful usb cigarette lighter adapter. Alternatively this size of inverter also works for us. Amazon product ASIN B076P9PGX3
Thank you. Could you explain or give a link to a suitable “supply regulator” please? Would that be easier and less power hungry than the inverter which you recommend?

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Many thanks for all the replies. Can anyone help with the query above regarding the correct 12v power supply for a Humax 5000?

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Not to worry, I’ve found a solution that works!

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
We had two issues when looking to go ehu free. Hair dryer and laptop charging. A 300W inverter (cheap as chips) sorted the laptop. The hairdryer was harder but I found this and ordered one with some suspicion that it would be useless but it is actually very good, the navigating officer is most pleased.

Amazon product ASIN B097TTVBN5

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Siena 385
Exp
Hi, I have a similar problem and want to charge my MacBook 2020 over USB C on 12V while off grid but I don’t know how to get it charged as I only have USB ports in the vehicle that work on solar. My plugs are all wired to be used on hook up only.

Is there some form of adaptor I could use to draw energy from my 12v usb plugs to charge the laptop even if it takes longer.

Ps. I wanted to avoid putting in an inverter to be honest but so far I haven’t found any decent solution (only the ones posted earlier that seem to connect to the cigarette connection when the car is on which doesn’t solve my problem when parked). Setup: I have a 195W solar panel and a 115 living battery. It’s very sunny during the day where we are so battery is constantly charging.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
They are not cheap, but have a look at the Litionite range of battery banks on Amazon. You can get a pure sine wave one which you can charge via 12v and it has a pass through function which means you can charge it from 12v and charge your MacBook from it at the same time, using the USB-C port.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
USB-C is not a single type, it is a spectrum of different types with different power outputs. They all provide a basic power level to charge a phone, but there are some more powerful than others for charging laptops etc.

You need to find out what power level your laptop requires, and look for a 12V adapter that provides it. That will be a 'USB-C with PD'. PD = Power Delivery, and there's more than one level so you need one with enough power. The one recommended by sitesurfer looks OK. It's a bit hard to tell from the chaotic description exactly what the PD level is, but if it works for sitesurfer then it must be adequate. When I looked it was listed as 'currently unavailable', I don't know if that's just a temporary glitch.

As an alternative, you could consider a small inverter, maybe 150W Pure Sine Wave. The power is low enough to use a car cigarette-lighter socket, so no special wiring needed. They are popular with those who need to use a laptop in a car.

You will probably need to wire a cigarette-lighter socket to your leisure battery, via a fuse of course. But you would need to do that anyway to take a USB-C car adapter, so it's always useful to have.

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Siena 385
Exp
Thanks for the suggestions, still trying to figure out a way without adding additional equipment (inverter, battery pack, other devices..)

Maybe it’s nonsense but what about going even simpler for something like a usb A to usb c charger cable and trickle charge the MacBook through this?

I don’t need to have it charger quickly just enough when it’s off to recharge on a sunny day.

Using the concept this guy talks about in this video on charging a MacBook from regular usb eg on a plane. I’d guess the same would apply to 5/12v usb sockets on a motorhome fed by a living battery charged via solar?

Example: usb to usb c

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Maybe it’s nonsense but what about going even simpler for something like a usb A to usb c charger cable and trickle charge the MacBook through this?
Where is your USB A socket, and what is it powered by? Is it a built-in socket or a cigarette-lighter USB adapter?

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Siena 385
Exp
Where is your USB A socket, and what is it powered by? Is it a built-in socket or a cigarette-lighter USB adapter?
It’s a built in socket (not an adapter) those are part of the reading lamps which were installed as standard fit out of the motorhome. I have about 4 of those across the vehicle.

Those are powered by the living battery over solar when off Grid or by mains when plugged in.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think you need to install a cigarette-lighter socket powered from the leisure battery, with a suitable fuse. There are a number of options. if there's a convenient space where you can install a panel mounting socket, that look the best. Cut a suitable sized hole in the panel. The socket is held by a nut that screws onto the threaded body of the socket.You can get a rectangular plate that will cover any inaccuracies of the hole cutting.

An alternative is a surface mounting socket, that comes with a plastic box, so no need to cut a big hole. These come in single, double and triple sizes.
Look at somewhere like this to get some ideas
<Broken link removed>

For the wire, I'd use 2.5mm2 wire. That's 2.5 millimetres squared cross-sectional area, not the diameter. The connectors are spade terminals. You can crimp a blue insulated crimp terminal on the end using crimping pliers. Make sure you get the polarity correct - positive and negative.

When you've got the socket done, you'll need a USB-C with PD adapter, the highest power you can find.

The reason I prefer cigarette-lighter adapters is that they are easy to change when an updated version is required. However you can get USB sockets that fit into the same hole as one of those cigarette-lighter sockets, and they are also quite easy to change if necessary. Unlike the 4 built-in ones in your light fittings, that you're stuck with.

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Siena 385
Exp
Thanks for your help with this and for the detailed feedback (y)

that’s the kind of solution I was looking for without having to go into the cost of an inverter.

Do you think it should work (trickle) charging the laptop or could I still be left with this not generating enough power to trickle charge a 2020 MacBook?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don't know much about MacBooks but a quick google suggests the charger is USB-C with PD, 61W. That's much more than most USB-C sockets will provide. You need to get a high power one.

The cigarette-lighter socket can easily supply 61W - most can do 100W and some 120W.

I've seen for example a Lenovo 65W USB-C car charger that has a cigarette-lighter plug. HP also do a USB-C 65W car charger. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't work perfectly well. Apple would have to actively misapply the USB standard for it not to work, but if it didn't work I wouldn't be entirely surprised. Maybe other MacBook users have some experience of chargers like this. It looks very like the item in sitesurfer's post #27 which is a possibility if available.

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
i might be late to the party, but this reverse look at 12v sockets might help, all diy.
the charger i use for the macbook still going strong and super reliable.

D6B7AA0A-F02D-4476-AE27-56AFA6BBCA71.jpeg

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
My MacBook has the MagSafe connection and I sourced a 12V ciggy charger, that has 2 USB outlets as well, from the internet. No specific branding other than made in China.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I fitted this for charging while off grid 2xUSB + 12V socket (also Amazon)View attachment 535937
The box is an adapted electrical waterproof box.
That's my whole habitation setup on my self build along with a couple of battery lights!!!

Cheers James

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
A small inverter is not expensive. I have a 700watt pure sine wave one from TLC electrical factors (nationwide) it cost just over £100. Very simple to install, just two cables direct from the leisure battery. It has one 240v outlet. Perfect for charging stuff ...and hair straighteners 😉
Edit 600w not 700w
Quite agree,..ONLY use a 'Pure-Sign-Wave' for electronic equipment,..as I found out to my cost when i used a 'cheap' modified-sign-wave' invertor,...burnt out the oven clock, my new DAB radio and my Laptop (luckily an old one just for MH use)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You could build a system like the picture in sitesurfer's post 51. There's two cigarette-lighter sockets, powered from a fusebox (the grey box on the right). It looks like a 6-way box, so plenty of scope for future expansion.

Run a nice thick wire from the leisure battery positive terminal, with an inline fuse very near the battery. There's a single connection on the fusebox, that distributes power to all the fuses. Use a separate fuse for each cigarette-lighter socket or USB socket.

This fusebox has the advantage of a negative busbar, so it's easy to wire the negatives too. Run another thick wire to the incoming negative connection (no fuse required) and connect the socket negatives to points on the busbar.

A fusebox with a built-in negative busbar is good for wiring in motorhomes. In a car, you can just connect negatives straight to the metal bodywork, but in a motorhome it's usually all wood and fibreglass, so that doesn't work. A negative busbar makes it easier. This is the type I've used, but sitesurfer's fusebox looks a bit neater.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
All these items are 100W or less. You could buy a small 150W Pure Sine Wave inverter. The power is small enough to run from a cigarette-lighter socket if you want. Pure Sine Wave is the best type, with a wave just the same as a wall socket at home. Avoid Modified Sine Wave or Quasi Sine Wave types, which are a bit cheaper but can cause problems. If it doesn't actually say Pure Sine Wave on the box, it will be one of the other types.

Get an inverter that's just big enough to do the job. It's tempting to buy a bigger one just in case you want to use a higher power device, but higher power has a downside. Anything bigger than 150W needs connecting direct to the battery via a fuse. High power inverters need thick wires and a substantial fuse.

It's best to only connect an inverter when it's actually being used - it has a background drain which can be quite large for a high power inverter.
For a few years I have used a 300W modified sine wave Bestek inverter for charging my old MacBook and a couple of other bits that I only have mains chargers with. Works fine on all those but my wife has a newer MacBook Air laptop and the inverter struggles to charge it. It does charge very slowly but the inverter cuts on and off all the time. It shouldn’t be a problem as it is under 100W as you say but in use it is. I would go for a bit bigger inverter 4/500W maybe).
As an aside the overhead of running the small inverter was negligible, at one point I was running a 32” mains tv through the inverter with a total draw of 2.2 amps. That compares well to most 12v tv’s

May 29, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest CV2
Exp
We watch our TV via a tablet and bluetooth speaker despite having a satellite system and a fitted TV. I don't honestly don't think a TV will be fitted to any future motorhomes.
I don't have a tv as I prefer peace and quiet and my books. Or occasionally card games.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back