Becks Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Not necessarily so. From the latest accounts it looks like they may be solvent. Which means it will be a members voluntary winding up. The easiest way is to use the phone number Brian, icantremember posted and ask John Maitland, the MD, what is happening.
Let's hope they are and have the decency of paying off any creditors.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Campirama would be nearest to you then.
Hymer Servicing in SE England area:

You mean this company in Belgium ? https://campirama.be/
They certainly look worth a visit, (about 150 miles from home)
What is annoying is I cycled from home to within about 1 mile of the place last year.

I also found a company called Cranham in Essex off the M25 https://www.cranham.co.uk/
Anyone used them for Hymer servicing ?
(They do look a bit caravan based, but only an hour away)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hymer Servicing in SE England area:

You mean this company in Belgium ? https://campirama.be/
They certainly look worth a visit, (about 150 miles from home)
What is annoying is I cycled from home to within about 1 mile of the place last year.

I also found a company called Cranham in Essex off the M25 https://www.cranham.co.uk/
Anyone used them for Hymer servicing ?
(They do look a bit caravan based, but only an hour away)
Yes, we use them every year. Bought our current van from them and all warranty work carried out without quibble, and to a high standard. Their workforce appears to be experienced and long-standing, so they know what they're doing.
They speak good English - even the technicians - but you do have to be careful to tie them down to exactly what work they will be doing. Best to email them and then confirm by phone.
They're about an hour and a half from the Tunnel, conveniently located if you're heading for Germany, and have overnight parking spaces with EHU. We arrive the night before our appointment and the technician comes to find us the following morning. Damp checks take about 45 mins and cost 70 Euros, which I believe is their hourly rate for other work- so quite a bit lower than British dealers.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Never used them, but do Simpson's at Gt Yarmouth do repairs and servicing.

Really surprised to hear about Becks. Whilst we never brought from them (came very close to it about 3 years ago). We put a down deposit on a 3 year old immaculate Bessacarr only to find it was to long by 4" to fit safely on the drive. Phoned Becks straightaway and the money was back in my account within 3 days.

Went back a few times, before buying the Adria privately.
I suspect the prime building land on which the premises sits may well of formed part the strategic decision making process. Every competent business owner will have an exit strategy of some sort or another. At least the way the family have closed the business (ceased trading) suggest all creditors should be safe.

It s just a shame for the Motorhome fraternity that they have served over the years.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Damp checks take about 45 mins and cost 70 Euros, which I believe is their hourly rate for other work- so quite a bit lower than British dealers.
€70 for damp check but that is an agreed price when you buy the van. Normal labour rates are now €90/hour used to be about €60 before they moved to the new posh premises.
Yes their technicians are fairly good, their best one left a few years ago. What a change to the old place I've never seen such a big Motorhome service bay they can get at least 12 vans that's if they weren't part of it as the stores.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Never used them, but do Simpson's at Gt Yarmouth do repairs and servicing.

Really surprised to hear about Becks. Whilst we never brought from them (came very close to it about 3 years ago). We put a down deposit on a 3 year old immaculate Bessacarr only to find it was to long by 4" to fit safely on the drive. Phoned Becks straightaway and the money was back in my account within 3 days.

Went back a few times, before buying the Adria privately.
I suspect the prime building land on which the premises sits may well of formed part the strategic decision making process. Every competent business owner will have an exit strategy of some sort or another. At least the way the family have closed the business (ceased trading) suggest all creditors should be safe.

It s just a shame for the Motorhome fraternity that they have served over the years.
My BIL has had two Autotrails from Simpsons at GtY and has always had them maintained by them.
Simpsons will be my first port of call for servicing my Hymer as fairly close by.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just took Mum to Portsmouth for her hospital appointment and went in to Southdowns on the way back to pick up something from their shop.
Strange that they do not have a single van on the forecourt!!
Cannot see them selling every trade in they have.
As peterc10 said.. they are locking them all away out of site after having a brand new van stolen mid November..
I had an e-mail saying that is what they are doing about 2 weeks ago

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
This is the reply I got from Burstner
Thank you very much for your email.

We have well received your message.

Unfortunately, our dealership Becks Motorhome has closed business.

We would therefore help you to get the warranty work done.

First of all, it is your free choice to pick one of our other UK dealers that would be nearer.

You can have a look on our homepage.

https://www.buerstner.com/uk/contact/find-a-dealer/

But we would like to direct you to Camper UK in Lincoln, if you do not mind.

If you agree, we can forward your contact details and they will get in contact with you to make further arrangements.

You can send us a list of warranty repair and photos that would document it.

Wish you a nice day and stay safe and healthy.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Cordialement / Best regards

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Anyone know where I stand with Becks ceasing trading as they have my motorhome at their dealership it was there for warranty work and they’ve not even contacted me to collect it. Don’t know how they can just finish and keep our Motorhome have tried many ways to contact them but everything leads to a dead end😡
a personal visit and a call to the administrators, plus find details of directors on Companies house and write to them, also take all proof of ownership with you,
Quite a trip but would be well worth it.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Didn't his Daughter and Son in law take over?
Tried to Deal with them in 2007, Son in law, had a go at me for getting a quote from another Dealer , Daughter though was very nice , I should say I was dealing with her when he barged in, I saw red and told him he had an attitude problem and felt sorry for her , we promptly walked out and spent £ 70K with Caravans Rapido from Wokingham ( now Wokingham Motorhomes) where we got great service . I can only speak from my experience and feel sorry for the Daughter in law if she was still in the business and the employees who have lost out as for the said son in law I think he got his just deserves.
There you go I tried to deal localish, but !!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Tried to Deal with them in 2007, Son in law, had a go at me for getting a quote from another Dealer , Daughter though was very nice , I should say I was dealing with her when he barged in, I saw red and told him he had an attitude problem and felt sorry for her , we promptly walked out and spent £ 70K with Caravans Rapido from Wokingham ( now Wokingham Motorhomes) where we got great service . I can only speak from my experience and feel sorry for the Daughter in law if she was still in the business and the employees who have lost out as for the said son in law I think he got his just deserves.
There you go I tried to deal localish, but !!
Very different to my experience in 2015 and right up until they closed.

John was always polite and very helpful whenever I spoke to him. Went well over and beyond the call on a couple of occasions and refused to charge me for things and stuff that I was quite willing to pay for.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

John was always polite and very helpful whenever I spoke to him. Went well over and beyond the call on a couple of occasions and refused to charge me for things and stuff that I was quite willing to pay for.
Same here Peter. I always thought John was a gent and very fair in our dealings.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Same here Peter. I always thought John was a gent and very fair in our dealings.
I can only tell the truth as I saw it , my wife and I ran a Garage for years , we treated everyone with respect and realized one bad comment from a customer would have a adverse effect on our business, we tried hard to give good service and value for money ,if we were at fault we did not argue but put it right at our cost. we never lost a Customer through disagreement. I think looking back it was the other quote we got that upset him or he had had a bad day !. Whatever you/I think you can dislike some one when you are in business but, you can still take his or her or her money respectfully, he did not speak with respect ,that's way I gave him a mouthful which I may add I take a lot of upsetting .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Never had a problem with John or his staff at Becks, always an excellent service, such a pity I now have to go elsewhere.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can only tell the truth as I saw it , my wife and I ran a Garage for years , we treated everyone with respect and realized one bad comment from a customer would have a adverse effect on our business, we tried hard to give good service and value for money ,if we were at fault we did not argue but put it right at our cost. we never lost a Customer through disagreement. I think looking back it was the other quote we got that upset him or he had had a bad day !. Whatever you/I think you can dislike some one when you are in business but, you can still take his or her or her money respectfully, he did not speak with respect ,that's way I gave him a mouthful which I may add I take a lot of upsetting .
I have never suggested that you were not telling the truth.

Are you sure it was John Maitland, the SiL? I understand the Father, Donald Beck, could be a bit abrupt and he and his wife Eileen were still Directors at that time. He lived in the House on the left as you drive in until he died in 2019. If it was John, he certainly seems to have improved his people skills by the time I was dealing with them.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I have never suggested that you were not telling the truth.

Are you sure it was John Maitland, the SiL? I understand the Father, Donald Beck, could be a bit abrupt and he and his wife Eileen were still Directors at that time. He lived in the House on the left as you drive in until he died in 2019. If it was John, he certainly seems to have improved his people skills by the time I was dealing with them.
About the truth I did not imply you thought or anyone else I was not telling the truth, I just said I was.
I was the Daughter and her Husband she was very nice and had good Customer fronting skills , to be honest before I went into business I was trained in Management / Customer skills, , even when I was a Garage Forman in the 1980's if I see a old employees and there were (17 of them, that's why I'm bald ) and without exception we still have a laugh and talk about old times , the only time at this Garage I got a bollicking was from the garage Manager , because some Customers popped into the garage to talk to me and I in turn always told them to go to Reception first .

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years

I found Mark and John very helpful when we bought our Starspirit from them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back