Becks Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
So disappointed. My thoughts are for the staff who have lost their jobs this close to Christmas. The workshop manager Steve was excellent, as was the salesman who sold me my Hymer, Mark. Hope they get new jobs quickly.

As I understand it the MD, John Maitland, was the son in law of the original owner. Again he was very good and fair. I suspect that the selling of all the stock this year with little in p/x got them re-evaluating their future. The salesman told me when I was there that the cost of buying new vans was too high and he thought they would come down next year, so not worth going looking for second hand stock at the moment. Maybe they got out at a good time, who knows. As others have said, it is prime house building land.

I suspect I now have the dubious honour of being probably the last customer to have their motorhome worked on by Becks. I was there on the eve of the latest lockdown for some repairs, an MOT and the last of my "compulsory" damp checks. We will miss our yearly trips into darkest Norfolk.

So now need to find somewhere else to work on the motorhome when needed. Probably Johns Cross, who are close. But really want a Hymer dealer for one last damp check next November before the 6 year water penetration warranty runs out, just in case. If any damp is found Hymer are more likely to act upon it if it is found by one of their dealers.

Apr 1, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo
Exp
Anyone know where I stand with Becks ceasing trading as they have my motorhome at their dealership it was there for warranty work and they’ve not even contacted me to collect it. Don’t know how they can just finish and keep our Motorhome have tried many ways to contact them but everything leads to a dead end😡

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Have you tried this number 07768086291

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Nice One!
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Just googled becks and there is a company announcement saying they ceased trading from the 1st of December. All staff have been made redundant. Anyone needing help, contact their motorhome suppliers such as Adria, Hymer etc.
We are very sad to hear this. We bought our first and only van from Becks, 12 years ago and found them to be honest, helpful and friendly. We live about 20 miles away.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It’s a shame. We bought our first van from them and they were always nice people to deal with.

As has been said above their latest filed accounts looked pretty healthy but there was quite a lot of debt becoming repayable within one year ( over £3M) and maybe lockdown really caused them problems in servicing that debt.

Edit - I should add though that the company remains active and there is no mention of insolvency so hopefully this was done out of choice.

Last edited:
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
How quickly things change
1606930289913.png

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
So how many Hymer dealers have we left in the U.K. Tyne Valley no longer sell them but will cover existing customers for warranty and services, Kimberley no longer sell them we are fast approaching a monopoly to the detriment of Hymer
This was on the cards in a post that I did in October 2019 and I thought then that we (Hymer owners)would all end up at T.W. Stafford!!
We will just have to wait and see how it pans out.🤔🤔

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If Mr Beck passed away his estate will no doubt take control of the land asset.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
So disappointed. My thoughts are for the staff who have lost their jobs this close to Christmas. The workshop manager Steve was excellent, as was the salesman who sold me my Hymer, Mark. Hope they get new jobs quickly.

As I understand it the MD, John Maitland, was the son in law of the original owner. Again he was very good and fair. I suspect that the selling of all the stock this year with little in p/x got them re-evaluating their future. The salesman told me when I was there that the cost of buying new vans was too high and he thought they would come down next year, so not worth going looking for second hand stock at the moment. Maybe they got out at a good time, who knows. As others have said, it is prime house building land.

I suspect I now have the dubious honour of being probably the last customer to have their motorhome worked on by Becks. I was there on the eve of the latest lockdown for some repairs, an MOT and the last of my "compulsory" damp checks. We will miss our yearly trips into darkest Norfolk.

So now need to find somewhere else to work on the motorhome when needed. Probably Johns Cross, who are close. But really want a Hymer dealer for one last damp check next November before the 6 year water penetration warranty runs out, just in case. If any damp is found Hymer are more likely to act upon it if it is found by one of their dealers.

I'd be very interested to know where you go.
I have a Hymer on a Mercedes.

I'm getting the Mercedes bit dealt with by the main Mercedes dealer in Dartford next week, but I've drawn a blank with a "local" Hymer dealer

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
I have emailed Burstner in Germany asking that question as I still have some warranty work that was agreed to be done & had been delayed a couple of times at Becks.
I’ll update you when I get a reply

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'd be very interested to know where you go.
I have a Hymer on a Mercedes.

I'm getting the Mercedes bit dealt with by the main Mercedes dealer in Dartford next week, but I've drawn a blank with a "local" Hymer dealer
Hymer's have a pan European warranty so you can take it to any dealer in Europe.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hymer's have a pan European warranty so you can take it to any dealer in Europe.
I know you say that Lenny but not sure that you can get N+B warranty work done anywhere other that TW and possibly Reliance, also I am sure I have read before that Hymer dealers won't do warranty work on vehicles imported from over the water, OK some might but not all by any means.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Just took Mum to Portsmouth for her hospital appointment and went in to Southdowns on the way back to pick up something from their shop.
Strange that they do not have a single van on the forecourt!!
Cannot see them selling every trade in they have.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just took Mum to Portsmouth for her hospital appointment and went in to Southdowns on the way back to pick up something from their shop.
May be locking them away somewhere else and inspection by appointment? They had a brand new motorhome stolen off their forecourt recently.

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Needless to say anybody with an order for a new Adria, Bayley, Bürstner, Hymer or Wildax will have lost their deposit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There have been rumors about them being in trouble.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Needless to say anybody with an order for a new Adria, Bayley, Bürstner, Hymer or Wildax will have lost their deposit.
Not necessarily so. From the latest accounts it looks like they may be solvent. Which means it will be a members voluntary winding up. The easiest way is to use the phone number Brian, icantremember posted and ask John Maitland, the MD, what is happening.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
There have been rumors about them being in trouble.
It would not surprise me, went down a few years back and enquired about a new Charisma.
No phone call or email even sent an email in and had a reply saying it was being sorted but had nothing from them.

they did have some 2121 Hymers in the showroom but no new Concorde, last one they had this year was a 2019 Model and they wanted too price for that.

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
For people close to Camper U.K. they just posted this on the Burstner FB page
Hi All,
My name is Joe and I work for Camper UK. After hearing the sad news of our good friends Becks Motorhomes ceasing trade, we are here to offer a helping hand to those who had parts on order or had outstanding warranty work with them.
If you have any concerns, or need to get parts on order, please contact us and we'll happily undertake any work which you may have previously agreed. We're here to help you and Merry Christmas to everyone.
Thanks,
Joe and the team at Camper UK

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
May be locking them away somewhere else and inspection by appointment? They had a brand new motorhome stolen off their forecourt recently.
Spot on it could be they are upgrading security once a van is nicked others could quickly follow so a sensible thing would be to get the MoHo's to a safe haven, upgrade security and bring them back......mind you they could all be eddievanbitz for alarms and security ;)

Having a look at there site they do seem to have a stockist

Nov 13, 2020
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 690SC
Exp
Hi has anyone heard the becks motorhomes gt Yarmouth have ceased trading
On their website today there is a “Company notice by Mark - December 2, 2020” which reads; “Becks Motorhomes has ceased trading as of 01/12/2020. All the staff have been made redundant and all parts on order cancelled.”
Seems to answer any questions!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back