Beauty Terrorist needs a ride... (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The Beauty Terrorist has an aversion to cycling on anywhere that is not flat....

So I want to get her an electric bike. I would welcome any suggestions. Max budget £2750.

Thanks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Carrefour in France had a nice one for €599 good price I think.

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Put an exercise bike in the moho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Raleigh Motus - I've have had one about 6 month's now and absolutely love it. Can get derailleur or hub gear versions, and it comes in a couple of different sizes and colours (y) Plus there are plenty of stockists around the country if you want a test ride and for after-sales support (if needed).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
with your budget you can afford the best.. Kalkhoff... German engineering..

we bought two, can't fault them.. other than being quite heavy which all e-bikes are so not ideal for a bike rack..

but didn't enjoy them as much as normal cycling, so sold and bought nice road bikes.. no regrets

bought our's from 50s Cycles http://www.50cycles.com

do some research on the Pedalec forum before deciding Pedalec forum

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I agree with Scotjimland... Kalkhoff are really nice bikes - we too bought ours from 50cycles.

I have the Sahel small wheeled one - which isn't too heavy. Both ours went on the bike rack fine (minus the batteries).
http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/kalkhoff-bikes/sahel_compact_i8.html

I've been up long drags of hills towing our 22kg Collie in his Tail Wagon (total of 33kg) with no problem at all.

It looks to be reduced at the moment!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just about to get the wife a Freego, British built in Southampton. (y)

csx355

Free Member
Mar 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 1999
I don't know if you are sorted yet - but check out the Giant / Liv range - And it's here that I am going to declare an interest as we have been selling Giant bikes for 22years and their eBikes for 17 years at least. Top quality and currently running Yamaha Motors and Panasonic batteries. Apologies if this is not allowed.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure of your location but I would definitely recommend you pay a visit to On-Bike in Worcester. They have plenty you can test ride and their knowledge and expertise is second to none.

We elected for Riese & Muller.

Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
After 2 months waiting just had delivery of his and hers Cube Touring Hybrid 500. New model for 2018, expect to pay up to £2k.
Absolutely great: Design, Looks, Mudguards, luggage rack, lights, range, removable display. Bosch crank motor. Disc brakes. Ease of controls, although bell is pathetic!

Senior management is also delighted........

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Nick and I bought Gepida reptila 900 bikes from Nationwide bikes last year and we're pleased with them. They have hub gears as Nick thought that would be better putting them on and off the bike rack. We are pleased with them. Nick's had a faulty brake cable and Darryl( or Darren) at the Taunton branch has been very helpful getting a new one. I am a real wimp on a bike. I like the more upright position. @eddievanbitz and Lyn have the previous years model and were certainly pleased with them last year when Nick and I were looking. They are about 2 grand

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
two wheels too many!

av02.jpg

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Whilst your doing tour research on Pedalec's read my post on Kalkoff's & 50 cycles. Then get a Cube do a deal and get some extras, mudguard's, decent pedal's, rack. We have 2 and have yet to be defeated by any hill.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We've had our Kalkhoffs for almost 6 years now, they still amaze me the way you can effortlessly zip up hills, but I wouldn't recommend you to get one. The battery on mine failed just within the 2 year warranty, it took me a couple of months, emails and phone calls to 50 cycles to get a replacement.
We also had the well documented but officially denied, ratchet pawl failure in the drive motor (IMO down to poor lubrication) just out of warranty. I'd already stripped the motor apart, 50 wanted to sell me a complete motor assembly but in the end, sent me replacement pawls foc, I stripped down the other bike and the pawls in that were starting to fail too as the grease had dried out.
On both bikes I've had to replace both sets of pedals and the Magura HS 11 hydraulic rim brakes on both bikes have now run their course, the handlebar clamp/hyd cylinder assembly is a plastic injection moulding that the lever operates the piston in, these have both worn quite badly and now leak oil to the point that they constantly need re- bleeding. I contacted Magura who have discontinued this model, but said HS 33 cylinders were a direct replacement at €50 a pair (just for the cylinders, not a complete handlebar set) and guess what, they're injection moulded plastic too. I'm looking to replace them with Shimano cable brakes.
We have one original battery that now indicates it can only hold two fifths of it's full charge, but at over 5 years old we are ok with this. I certainly won't be buying a replacement from the UK though and I'm tempted to open it up to see if I can replace the lithium cells with individual Sony cells.
The dynamo powered LED lights have been great, as have the mudguards and rear carrier.
So, we've had our gripes with our particular bikes, but they have been a Godsend to my mobility and have been an absolute boon used in conjunction with the motorhome. I'll persevere with these for the time being but we've been impressed by the recent KTM's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back