Bear With Me - Another Awning Thread! (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Yet again another awning thread! I have read a large number of threads on the forum and gleaned much information but now I find I am in danger of not being able to see the wood for the trees! Hopefully the wise and informed can help!

Having just returned from a bit of a soggy 2 day trip to the Scottish borders we started to think that some form of tent like ‘shelter’ would be useful to removing cycling shoes etc. before getting in the motorhome. We don’t have and don’t really want a fixed awning and I am not minded to start sticking bits of ‘stuff’ to the motorhome. When travelling we tend to stay in locations for 4 to 7 days, using the bike for transport, so putting something up is not an issue.

Given the above, I think I am left with 2 options and without seeing these things, we don’t want to spend large sums and then find they don't really work!

The first option would be some form of awning like a ‘Sunncamp Tourer Motor 335 Plus’ or ‘Outdoor Revolution Movelite Cayman XL’ which I think we would need to use straps over the top of the van (It’s an A class). I would welcome comments on the viability and suitability of that method of attachment. (Read lots of comments of flapping bits in the wind etc.!)

The other option would be to just go for a standalone shelter such as the decathlon Air Seconds Base XL Camping Shelter and make it work !

<Broken link removed>

Any other options gratefully received!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I too would go for the quest pop up. So simple and quick to put up by 1 person.(y) Handy to quickly dismantle if the weather turns foul. Great at withstanding the wind too, worst usually is a side pops in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
For us without a doubt it's the Quest pop up 4 or 6 sided they are so much easier and user friendly than anything we have had in the past, a walk around any fun rally would confirm this for you.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you are thinking of something attached then these are a popular accessory & Kampa is a good brand but not tried them ourselves https://www.kampa.co.uk/awning-accessories/limpet™-fix-system

AC0320%20Limpet%20Fix%20System%20Steail.jpg

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We ended up in the same field as a small rally recently. A fair few of them used pop up stuff. Our Kampa air awning was up. In a few hours of stormy weather several of theirs had collapsed in and stayed down as they filled with water ... (most of them were out for the day).
In nice weather they looked great but I got pretty wet helping them protect their gear.
Ours.. which we use for storage and dog crates .. was solid as a rock.

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The Quest Looks good. Do Funsters find the smaller one big enough? Has anyone used it with the optional side walls and does that make it waterproof?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
The Quest Looks good. Do Funsters find the smaller one big enough? Has anyone used it with the optional side walls and does that make it waterproof?

I bought the bigger one , but felt it was too heavy to cart about in the van, we have a restricted payload, so we will use that as a garden gazebo at home, I then bought the smaller one which is a bit lighter, but still very useable, not had it up in heavy rain yet though.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have a 4 sided one and it comfortably fits 6 people. We also have the side walls - stops the drafts and rain and gives you more privacy. They come in sets of two but we bought an extra set so we could have them on 3 sides (can't put a side wall up on the front) This really is the best accessory we have ever bought and it has never collapsed on us despite being out in all weathers - because it's dome shaped the water runs off it.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We use the small one very sturdy and a lot of room inside. Robert Dyas has them on sale at the moment :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I don't want to camp in the rain,,,,If it is forcast to last longer than a day we move,,,BUSBY,,

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
Have just purchased the smaller Quest from Robert Dyas - they are the cheapest currently and if you register with them and subscribe to their email offers they give a 10% discount on your first order. You have to pay for delivery (£15) but it is next day delivery.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Well seems that the Quest is winning the recommendation stakes hands down!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

For the two of us the four sided is adaquate, but for more or if you have a dog I would think about the 6 sided, and sides are a must, you can roll them half down put one on to suit the weather, but at night I always put the sides on. We have had ours out in all weathers and only took it down once on Shell Island when the tail end of a hurricane blew in from America and wiped out most of the tents. A quest put up properly will stay put in most wind.
The do a really good demonstration of them going up and down on you tube.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for the Quest pop-up. I was (as my mate pronounces) a 'septic' :D2 but there were three reasons why I didn't go for a Rally Air or the like. Firstly, the cost! Secondly, Mrs W didn't like the perceived agg' and thirdly the weight issue.
On a whim and funsters recommendations, I bought the pop-up from Robert Dyas. I'm using it at the moment for the first time and it's fab! Also bought a pair of side panels for privacy/weather for (I think) an extra £19.
It's a breeze to set up. It really does just take a minute or so, with pegging another few mins. I did have staff training and anti-prat familiarisation in the garden before I used it in anger, but there was no need. Easy-peezy!

Attachments

• IMG_3644.JPG
    IMG_3644.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 47

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread