Beam deflectors (2 Viewers)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Is there anything special about beam deflectors for the X244 chassis? Will the standard (e.g Eurolites) deflectors be ok?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A question, has anyone seen a foreign car/ MH/ truck/ bus over here with beam deflectors on? I know I haven't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
A question, has anyone seen a foreign car/ MH/ truck/ bus over here with beam deflectors on? I know I haven't.

As far as I'm aware, European vehicles don't have asymmetrical dipped headlamps which are a legal requirement in the in the UK.
Theirs dip vertically, so won't create a dazzle hazard.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
As far as I'm aware, European vehicles don't have asymmetrical dipped Headlamps which are a legal requirement in the UK.
Our Inca (2004) has vertically dipping Headlamps with no 'beam pattern' as such. So I have no deflectors.

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Our Inca (2004) has vertically dipping Headlamps with no 'beam pattern' as such. So I have no deflectors.

So how does it pass an MOT?
Doesn't the beam need to illuminate the correct area of the beam testing machine?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
So how does it pass an MOT?
Doesn't the beam need to illuminate the correct area of the beam testing machine?
I've no Idea regarding the technicalities, but it has always passed the MOT.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As far as I'm aware, European vehicles don't have asymmetrical dipped headlamps which are a legal requirement in the in the UK.
Incorrect, yes the do, LHD vehicles the dip beam kicks up to the right. That is why when you import a LHD vehicle you have to change the headlamps or some such as the Hella Projector lamps fitted to most A Class vans you can adjust them for flat dipping which is acceptable to the VCA.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On my Rapido my garage fit beam deflectors to give the right pattern for the mot. Seems to do the trick, it's always passed.
On my day trips to France for booze in the car I just stick a couple of bits of black tape on to show willing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On my Rapido my garage fit beam deflectors to give the right pattern for the mot. Seems to do the trick, it's always passed.
On my day trips to France for booze in the car I just stick a couple of bits of black tape on to show willing.
Beam deflectors are OK for an MOT but not aceptable to the VCA when importing a vehicle.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
According to the supplying dealer for my 2017 Seat Leon, the headlamps on my car are flat and do not require Beam Deflectors. I can't notice any discernible kick up to the left so I guess it must be true. Anyway, I drove for 2 weeks in France last year with no problems.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Rarely use headlights in France never drive in the dark had to use main beam last year as was foggy some days but dipped kept blowing fuses

D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Due to the difficulty of testing the latest types of headlamps during MOT tests with the fairly basic beam testers that MOT garages have it seems VOSA have pretty much given up on headlamp aim, as long as they light up,point forward and aren't ridiculously out of line things seem to pass these days.
(or so the testers in my old garage tell me)
I have noticed when driving at night that there seem to be far more cars about with one headlamp dazzling oncoming vehicles.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Diving up through France yesterday it amazes me how many don’t turn their lights on.......:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back