Beam benders (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH has those little round headlights, as did my last one. With the French authorities getting stricter about these (btw have you ever seen a French vehicle use them in the UK?) has anyone any bright ideas about fitting them.

An ordinary beam deflector as sold at the ports is bigger than the actual headlight.

What I've done in the past is just to use the load adjustment knob on the dash board to lower the beams to the lowest position so that they are unlikely to dazzle anyone, but of course they still dip to the wrong side

Attachments

• small23082008251.jpg
    small23082008251.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 133

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi
If you take the triangle off the normal beam deflector is it still too big? If so you could always gut it in to shape. Hold a bit of card board 10 inchs or so from the lights to see which way the beam goes and then mess with the circle untill the beam does not shoot in the wrong direction and then apply. If required just cut to shape.
In my experience with the French police they are more likely to let you go if you just get it wrong but have tried as opposed to have nothing at all.
happy touring nearly retired , from too bloody long untill retirement.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
My MH has those little round headlights, as did my last one. With the French authorities getting stricter about these (btw have you ever seen a French vehicle use them in the UK?) has anyone any bright ideas about fitting them.
Yes.......don't bother! I bought some and after a trip of little more than 30 miles they had both dropped off. Total waste of money.

Use black insulation tape. The amount you need will cost less than one pence per headlight and it will stay stuck on until you pull it off! Might not look pretty but it does the job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
I have just gone through this exercise with my RV, small headlamps but they dipped to the right (left hand drive) I had them on the beam machine & tried allways to get them in compliance for MOT as I would be using rv in europe 6 months of the year.
I eventually had to fit new headlights!!!!!!!!!!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have just gone through this exercise with my RV, small headlamps but they dipped to the right (left hand drive) I had them on the beam machine & tried allways to get them in compliance for MOT as I would be using rv in europe 6 months of the year.
I eventually had to fit new headlights!!!!!!!!!!

Something I had to do too:Doh:

Set of 4.Had a right job sourcing replacements.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes.......don't bother! I bought some and after a trip of little more than 30 miles they had both dropped off. Total waste of money.

Use black insulation tape. The amount you need will cost less than one pence per headlight and it will stay stuck on until you pull it off! Might not look pretty but it does the job.

If your headlights have the triangular marks which indicates the parts to blank off it's fairly easy. Some headlights I believe aren't obvious though. My Merc 410d Hymer headlamps are the orginals fitted from new in Germany. I fitted black Gaffa/Duct tape for its first UK MOT and it passed with an advisory note. Shall be doing the same again this year. Gaffa/Duct tape doesn't like the sun though and usually needs re-doing every 3 months. Haven't as yet found a better or more permanent alternative.

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi don't know if this is any help but my hymer 564 had L+R on the back with a slotted mount this adjusted from R to L dip, much easier but a pain to get at till you know where they are.When I'd done it a couple of times 5 mins while sat on the dock.
Hope this helps

Pete:thumb:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
I second the advice about using some form of black tape - gaffa, duct or insulating. It's easy to reapply when it wears out, a roll costs next to nothing compared with the "real thing", and will stay in place better. Also dead easy to "make it fit".

The Gendarmes will be pleased you've made the effort; if it's "not quite right" but you've tried, they'll ask you to re-do it, end-of-story. If you don't do it (and get caught), it'll be an on-the-spot fine (can't remember if it's 60 or 90 euros, but either way, an unwelcome hole in holiday money!).

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I have always been lead to believe, rightly or wrongly that the reason you NEVER see a foreign registered car in the UK with any headlight 'benders' fitted is they simply don't require them as the modern foreign cars head lights dip up and down and NOT to the left or right.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
AFAIK you are right. That is also why on the RV we do not need to bother with them as they are not bent in the first place.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

Ive been following this thread because I also need to fit some. The deflectors came with a good enough set of instructions but always made a reference to the glass patterns on the headlamps.

My headlamps dont match any of the glass patterns shown in the instructons and so I got a head ache and put them away. :Doh: They will have to be on by Sunday.:Eeek:

When you say that you apply duct tape or insulation tape are you saying that you apply this directley on to the head lamp to stop the beam from shining to the left.:Blush:

If this is what your doing doesn't this severley reduce the effeciencey of the headlamps.:whatthe:

Cheers

Jim :cry:

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
As I posted earlier, we have the small headlamps with no markings. I put in on the beam machine to try & find out where to fit the benders/gaffer tape or whatever to be MOT compliant, I was actually there with the guy & he tried all ways to no avail so had to change lamps. I now have to worry about fitting them for France/Spain etc. but it will be just taped on for the effort really & use the fog lights when driving instead.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
As I posted earlier, we have the small headlamps with no markings. I put in on the beam machine to try & find out where to fit the benders/gaffer tape or whatever to be MOT compliant, I was actually there with the guy & he tried all ways to no avail so had to change lamps. I now have to worry about fitting them for France/Spain etc. but it will be just taped on for the effort really & use the fog lights when driving instead.

Thats a problem for me because I only have a rear fog lamp. If I mask off any of the head lamp I will have a problem with a decent beam through the headlamp.

I think I'm going to put them on as best I can and thats it. The only time that I would anticipate using them is when going through tunnels cos I wont be driving at night. Phewwww

Jim :Doh:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
If you definitely won't be driving at night, do the best you can with the "benders" and forget about it. :winky: Or, find where the beam "hits" the lens, and put a small amount of tape on that point.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
My headlamps dont match any of the glass patterns shown in the instructons and so I got a head ache and put them away. :Doh: They will have to be on by Sunday.:Eeek:

When you say that you apply duct tape or insulation tape are you saying that you apply this directley on to the head lamp to stop the beam from shining to the left.:Blush:

If this is what your doing doesn't this severley reduce the effeciencey of the headlamps.:whatthe:
I posted this link on an earlier thread re. the same subject. It may be of some help to you.
Link Removed

Hopefully it may also help persuade you that taping the lens is a far better and of course cheaper solution than fitting these 'beam benders'! To answer your two questions, 1) yes you apply the tape directly to the lens, and 2) no it doesn't reduce the efficiency. You can still see where you are going!!

Should you still be uncertain of exactly where your dip pattern is on the headlight lens, just drive into any Garage with MOT testing facilty who will show you exactly where it is.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
As we have now booked our next trip I thought I better look into fitting something on our headlights as we do expect to be driving at night. I have in the past used the black insulating tape method & it does reduce the light, I have read somewhere though that this shouldn't be used on the plastic headlamp as the heat that builds up can cause the plastic to craze. The other problem is if I get beam benders (not too dear off ebay) where do I fit them as there are no markings at all on the lights, my van is on the new Renault Master.
I was going to try to find out what is different between my van & a left hand drive model, the headlight is clear so is it just the bulb or is there some setting at the headlight that can be left or right hand. What do european vans do, dip to the right or do they just dip straight down?

bob

Free Member
Feb 10, 2008
ALDRIDGE WEST MIDS
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
SINCE 1992
Hi
Having just drove down through france into spain in a o8 hymer I had been warned before setting off a clampdown by french police on headlights ,I decided to contact hymer uk for advice, to be told there was a lever which reset the lights for use over the water I visited them and was shown how to do it. My point is driving a right handed hymer with no sign of black tae or a beam bender no police french or spanish have bothered to take a look at our vehicle. all th best Bob.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
As we have now booked our next trip I thought I better look into fitting something on our headlights as we do expect to be driving at night. I have in the past used the black insulating tape method & it does reduce the light, I have read somewhere though that this shouldn't be used on the plastic headlamp as the heat that builds up can cause the plastic to craze. The other problem is if I get beam benders (not too dear off ebay) where do I fit them as there are no markings at all on the lights, my van is on the new Renault Master.
I was going to try to find out what is different between my van & a left hand drive model, the headlight is clear so is it just the bulb or is there some setting at the headlight that can be left or right hand. What do european vans do, dip to the right or do they just dip straight down?

Hi Ed, its not the up or down thats the problem its the left or righ that matters. Currentley for uk driving your head light beam should be pointing (shining) left. When you drive on the right hand side of the road on the continent your head lamps may dazzle oncoming drivers and so you have to have them pointing (shining) to the right.

I think it was dazzer that said place a piece of carboard in front of one of your head lamps, it should be beaming toward the left. Mask part of the light beam so that your beam is pointing to the right, then stick you beam bender or duct tape over that part of your head light that is masked to turn the beam.

Hope this make sense. We took a guess and put them where it seemed that they should be and they were fine. I woudnt get to wound up about it.

Cheers Jim :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have always been lead to believe, rightly or wrongly that the reason you NEVER see a foreign registered car in the UK with any headlight 'benders' fitted is they simply don't require them as the modern foreign cars head lights dip up and down and NOT to the left or right.

while this may very well be true (i dunno) it should also apply to 'modern' UK registered cars visiting europe and it doesnt excuse the old rust buckets we see coming here from poland and eastern europe :Angry:

Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Thought I would contact Renault & ask if it was possible to adjust the headlights for continental use & the girl I spoke to didn't know but suggested I fit
Renault Headlamp Converters Ref. Code: 7701383655
To me it looks like a small bit of black plastic for almost a tenner :Eeek::Eeek:
I will go into the local Renault dealer to see what they are & maybe where to fit them. I was under the impression though that sticking something like this onto the perspex headlamp can cause it to craze due to the build up of heat.

Still don't see why the headlight can't be adjusted to suit, I would agree that for holidays & short trips then the benders or masks are the simplest option but we are going for 3 months.

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
My MH is a left hand drive. I still have the original head lights on. Okay, I do most of my driving in Europe which is normal for my head lights. Every year, when I go for an MOT, my garage puts on the plastic blenders and always passes the MOT. Once I cross over to Calais, off come the blenders and I am legal. When I return to the UK, I dont put the blenders back on. I never drive after dusk, so do not need my lights at all, hence, no blenders or problems.

badger1

Free Member
Jan 8, 2008
forest of dean glos
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
3 years and caravanning 25 years
bending beams?

Hi All, have a set of Pegeot polycarbonate head lamp protectors fitted to the Pug and they have a small rectangle etched in each, this rectangle is around 2"x1.5" and Supposedly one has to stick tape or some such like on this rectangle to deflect the beam?
I bought them secondhand without instructions and when I asked the Pugeot dealers for details ,yes you've guessed, they didn't have a clue!!
Anyone out there know if taping them works? Regards Badger1:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back