Be my Hymer (1 Viewer)

Lloyd Davies

Free Member
Jun 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Can you help find me a Hymer for a family of 4? Or perhaps recommend a model I can do some of my own research on?

It’ll be for a family of 4, budget is up to £25k.

4 forward facing seat belts is a must.

Thanks

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Have a look on Facebook at a couple of Hymer groups - Classic Hymers and Hymermarket.

CH main focus is on vans 15+ years old but anybody can join and there is a wealth of knowledge and information. Hymermarket is for selling / buying anything Hymer related and there is a steady trickle of vans come up on there for sale.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
4 belted seats
Hymer.

So you have started a list.. Now think about adding to that,,
A very important one, what license do you have ? Limited to 3500kg or do you have C1 ?
People could recommend 100 vans but no good if you then have a license restriction (y)
A class of overhead bed ?
Fixed rear bed or not ?

Good idea to visit as many showrooms and motorhome shows as you can, look inside and look for things you like and dont like.. Soon starts coming together then.
Good luck with the search.

ps.. Why not add your location to your profile, people can then see what are you are from and may recomend nearby dealers etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is a good chance my Hymer 754 will be up for sale shortly, but it only has 3 pilot seets, so you would have to leave one of the kids at home :D .

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Hymer do a few models with bunk beds at the rear with drop-down bed over the cab for adults. You're probably limited to a half-dinette lounge as opposed to an L-shaped lounge because of the seat belt requirement.

Travelling with 4 persons means your available payload is limited, especially on a 3500kg chassis. There was an option for a 3900kg maxi-chassis providing your driving licence allows this.

A £25k budget should be sufficient for a van built around 2005/2006. In 2006 the Fiat base was updated with a new engine. Some owners experienced juddering in reverse gear.

The only Hymer model (that I'm aware of circa 2005) with bunk beds is the B 524. Bunk beds are more popular on Italian vans, such as RollerTeam.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lloyd Davies

Free Member
Jun 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
4 belted seats
Hymer.

So you have started a list.. Now think about adding to that,,
A very important one, what license do you have ? Limited to 3500kg or do you have C1 ?
People could recommend 100 vans but no good if you then have a license restriction (y)
A class of overhead bed ?
Fixed rear bed or not ?

Good idea to visit as many showrooms and motorhome shows as you can, look inside and look for things you like and dont like.. Soon starts coming together then.
Good luck with the search.

ps.. Why not add your location to your profile, people can then see what are you are from and may recomend nearby dealers etc.

Thank you.

Yes, restricted. Passed in 98.

Overhead or fixed.

I’m based in Cardiff, will update my profile now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lloyd Davies

Free Member
Jun 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Have a look on Facebook at a couple of Hymer groups - Classic Hymers and Hymermarket.

CH main focus is on vans 15+ years old but anybody can join and there is a wealth of knowledge and information. Hymermarket is for selling / buying anything Hymer related and there is a steady trickle of vans come up on there for sale.
Thank you, I’ve just been accepted on Hypermarket.

What models have two seat behind the cab? Was hoping the might help narrow the search.

Upvote 0

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Hello there,

We've really enjoyed our Hymer Classic 644, (see profile pic) which has the over-cab king-sized bed and rear bunks. Happy to send you some pictures if you like, to show the layout. It has accommodated us really well, and this configuration, with fridge freezer, oven, full sink, bathroom and central heating is fantastic for our family of 4. I'm sure I've seen similar vans for sale on various sites, and would certainly recommend it! Ours is a 2005 model, 2.8 litre Ducato engine, 26k miles, 6 seat belts (5 x 3 point) and was purchased well within your suggested budget.

All the best!

Martin & Maeve

Upvote 0

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
In the FILES section on Classic Hymer there is a PDF of various models and layouts which might help.

We have a '93 B544 which only has one 3-point and one lap belt in the back but some of the larger ones will have more.

As you don't have a C1 rating on your licence you need to be really on the ball as regards weight limits and will have to be economical with what you put in the van I suspect to allow for 2 + 2 (particularly as they get older and heavier).

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can you help find me a Hymer for a family of 4? Or perhaps recommend a model I can do some of my own research on?

It’ll be for a family of 4, budget is up to £25k.

4 forward facing seat belts is a must.

Thanks

Nice little one for sale on FB group Motorhome for sale around the uk it for sale by a guy called Mark Edwards so should be easy to find the post. Looks just what your after.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lloyd Davies

Free Member
Jun 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Nice little one for sale on FB group Motorhome for sale around the uk it for sale by a guy called Mark Edwards so should be easy to find the post. Looks just what your after.
Don’t shoot me down here. It’s a legitimate question....what does this give you over a 4 berth VW T5/6 conversion?

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Don’t shoot me down here. It’s a legitimate question....what does this give you over a 4 berth VW T5/6 conversion?
Don't worry would never shoot someone down whos looking for help, I don't know this vehicle or the ones you quote very well so take my answer with a pinch of salt. The obvious answer to your question is self efficiency as the Hymer has a toilet and shower which I don't think the VW you mention has, so with this one you could easily wild camp or use the Aire system in France and similar in other countries. I would think with 2 young kids this layout would be far better than an over priced VW, I'm sure they're other benefits such as inbuilt waste and water tank, more room to move around and proper cooking facilities and heating, as I said I don't know either van so might be talking through a hole in my head :)

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi we have a hymer c546 2003 5 berth, 4 travelling seatbelts. Massive over cab. Drop down lounge table makes adult double, single side sofa, extends out , and kitchen at the back 20feet, fiat ducato, great mh..good luck

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
One for sale on Autotrader at the mo...

Broken Link Removed
1568755865421.png

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
That looks in very good condition and well looked after.

Looks like it has 2 rear bunk beds or the bottom bunk bed can be folded up to make more garage space. Guess it's LHD and on the 3500kg chassis (or maybe the 3900kg maxi chassis).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back