• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

Be Careful (1 Viewer)

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Sorry to hear that you have fallen foul to a scamming piece of excreta but they do exist and have a total lack of feeling for their victims - no matter what they say in Court - should they get there. A lot of Courts take this sort of crime to be `white collar` and sentencing guidelines and powers are limited to them. That said, it is a horrible feeling for you at the moment and you are one of many that have been hurt in this way.
Someone tried to scam me a few years ago on an Autotrail motorhome. Lots of cash involved on my part so it (the cash), didn`t go anywhere until I had met the owner, seen the van and checked the V5.
My E-bay winning bid was followed up with e-mails by them asking for payment (via E-bay) but they would not text me nor give me their number to talk. I refused to pay via their preferred method and suggested a `meet` followed by a trip to a bank (together) to direct transfer the funds. The e-mails stopped when my insistence became apparent and when I got a `phone number for the E-bay account it was in Birmingham with the van allegedly in Leeds. I phoned the number and it was disconnected !
I did HPI the van (VRN was on photo`s), and it was a genuine with no history. So that doesn`t always work with ownership issues.
I reported an attempted fraud to the police who promised to info the registered owner and reported it to E-bay who barred the account. Not really an outcome for me as I wanted to confront the maggot personally. I do hope that the outcome is positive for you and that your funds are returned soon.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I bought mine private by contacting the seller after it did not sell on ebay, viewed twice, the HPI check told me there was 16k outstanding to black horse finance, I did not tell him I had this information but he volenteered it himself, I also did a background check on his business, on collection day he had arranged for me to pay black horse by debit card over the phone and as he had a small business I paid the remainder by debit card to him. It so sad that anyone looses a substantual sum through a heartless scam like this and without wishing to sound unkind I have difficulty understanding anyone paying for a motorhome unseen, unchecked and by an unknown payment method, the scammer is probably based abroad and all the victims will have little to no chance of getting any money back.
I spent a lot of time on this fun forum before I bought and had this buyer doen the same then she would have been aware of the scam.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Seems like a dubious strategy to agree purchase before viewing.... and sending funds in advance would seem naïve at best....

I wonder how many genuine sellers get messed around when ebayers who have committed to purchase turn up and decide they don't want the vehicle for whatever reason...

Whatever happened to taking a viewing, shaking on it and doing the deal ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Sorry to here this, been looking at mh as you say some seem to good to be true, but I guess we all live in hope of finding that bargain, best of luck for the future.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sharon I am really at a loss for words and have no idea how I could help. Thinking about it maybe I can offer you a free holiday in Devon. We have a 2 berth caravan that we intend selling this year however if you would like to come down some time in June for 2 weeks you are welcome to use it free of charge on site here in Ilfracombe.

OP
OP
Sharon Ebbs

Sharon Ebbs

Free Member
May 27, 2015
Thanet
Funster No
MH
hymer S700
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks everyone! We have reported to the online fraud team and also to the bank as we have the persons bank details it's just a case of waiting to see if we can get back any of money.
It's a big lesson learnt. We won't be buying any motorhome unless its cash and We're picking it up!!!!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Sharon I am really at a loss for words and have no idea how I could help. Thinking about it maybe I can offer you a free holiday in Devon. We have a 2 berth caravan that we intend selling this year however if you would like to come down some time in June for 2 weeks you are welcome to use it free of charge on site here in Ilfracombe.
What a nice gesture after a lowlife scam like this it helps to restore your faith in people.

OP
OP
Sharon Ebbs

Sharon Ebbs

Free Member
May 27, 2015
Thanet
Funster No
MH
hymer S700
Exp
im a newbie
Wildman thank you so much for that off. But we are both working right through to September now to make some of the money back as we have also just had two weeks away!!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
I was trawling through the CC ads site, saw a caravan that was way underpriced, Sussex it was a scam so thought I would wind him/her up !
Lo and behold,it was this cretin Ian Oliver who said he was on a course inside Dreghorn Barracks near Edinburgh. I offered to view, collect and pay cash on the nail. He then went through the rigmarole of Google wallet and said said he couldn't leave the barracks because of security. I said I was a

Captain in the armed forces and would have no problem in entering the site .
Guess what, it all went quiet ! I notified the CC and they took the ad down and barred him from further advertising!:swear2::swear2::swear2:
fantastic!!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lo and behold,it was this cretin Ian Oliver who said he was on a course inside Dreghorn Barracks near Edinburgh. I offered to view, collect and pay cash on the nail. He then went through the rigmarole of Google wallet and said said he couldn't leave the barracks because of security. I said I was a Captain in the armed forces and would have no problem in entering the site .
Guess what, it all went quiet ! I notified the CC and they took the ad down and barred him from further advertising!:swear2::swear2::swear2:

I have had the same and said I was General Gordon-Smythe's (no such person afaik) ADC and based at the barracks, was it the MH in compound 7A or 5B as I could go and have a look later that day !!! Yes, all goes silent. :)

What a wonderful offer.

We have a spare room here but the weather won't be as good :)

Last edited:

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What a scum bag!!!..i`m a great believer in what goes around comes around so lets hope he gets his just deserts, i hope you have some good luck in getting some if not all your monies back.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I was trawling through the CC ads site, saw a caravan that was way underpriced, Sussex it was a scam so thought I would wind him/her up !
Lo and behold,it was this cretin Ian Oliver who said he was on a course inside Dreghorn Barracks near Edinburgh. I offered to view, collect and pay cash on the nail. He then went through the rigmarole of Google wallet and said said he couldn't leave the barracks because of security. I said I was a

Captain in the armed forces and would have no problem in entering the site .
I have my Dethleffs motorhome up for sale on this site and on ebay I had the following enquiry which asks for my PayPal account number 3 times, I sent it to spoof@paypal.com who are now tracing it It reads .==
Mary Hannah<maryhannah92@gmail.com>
(Thanks for the quick response, can you assure me it's in good condition ?? ,I need you to understand that I am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, I'm seriously interested in buying this and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule. Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Pick up Location?
4) Your PayPal Email ID to effect the payment
5) How much is your buy it now price

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal ID. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your PayPal ID and total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply!

Thanks and God bless)

YEAH RIGHT B******S
Be carefull out there"

Spoof@ebay.co.uk and spoof@paypal.com have come back within 15mins and said it is a scam. No prizes there then.
I have now had the same email from
Andrew Smith Tisha <ddggjjaa@gmail.com> and
Mary James<bramyjames@gmail.com>
Be carefull out there

Last edited:

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
for anyone who want to read up, scamwarners.com is a very interesting site, I came accross it when 2 Norweigens turned up at my door one day to purchase a £30000 JCB digger !! they had been given my detaies as the seller by some scammers who set up a fake website in my name, my vat number my address and even some of my photos of my stock (plant/machinery) from my ebay listings. took a long time to clear my name and hundreds of fake adverts accross Europe in my name. I put my phone number on scamwarners for people to call me if they were in the middle of being scammed, I had 2 calls from Eastern Europeans, one had sent "me" 10000 Euro for a tractor, the other had sent 7000 Euro !!

The way these scammers do it is advertise something for less than half its worth then buyers who are either silly or just dont relise its under value get duped by their story, usually that they are in the army and cannot accept viewings, they then offer to pay for delivery and offer full money back if its not as described including return delivery so buyers think, hey, what have I got to loose ! They then get you to send payment to dodgy bank accounts in the UK easily set up by all accounts or they will offer to let you pay by paypal for your security, they then send you a fake paypal invoice bringing you to a fake lookalike paypal website where you put it your password, they then have your money and control of your paypal account to use as they please buying and selling in your name.
Another trick is if they thing you are not gullable enough they ask for a deposit of say £500 or 1000 knowing that anything is better than nothing.
Google is your friend !! , google sellers names, phone number, addresses, postcodes etc you will be supprised what you can find out about a person just from googling their mobile number.

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Police are also not interested as its rife !! they have no means of takleing it as its on such a large scale millions of pounds,. Good luck to the OP but im sad to say you will never see your money again, and definatly dont fall for the follow up scam of so called detectives who will charge a small upront fee to get your money back, this will be the same scammers trying to get more out of you as you have already fallen for their lies before

good luck

Reactions: DBK

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Police are also not interested as its rife
Probably because it dosent contain a free meal, or means having to investigate something other then the price of frozen chips at Tesco.

knighthauler

Free Member
May 11, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2001
Hi folks - it is because of these sort of issues that we have deceided to put our Chausson up for sale with "Motorhome Depot" - at least with them, people know they are dealing with a genuine seller and not some scammer!! Its a lovely van by the way!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
How was the van paid for?
To set up a bank account, banks need to follow certain rules, and if they have not, they may be liable for your loss.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have my Dethleffs motorhome up for sale on this site and on ebay I had the following enquiry which asks for my PayPal account number 3 times, I sent it to spoof@paypal.com who are now tracing it It reads .==
Mary Hannah<maryhannah92@gmail.com>
(Thanks for the quick response, can you assure me it's in good condition ?? ,I need you to understand that I am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, I'm seriously interested in buying this and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule. Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Pick up Location?
4) Your PayPal Email ID to effect the payment
5) How much is your buy it now price

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal ID. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your PayPal ID and total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply!

Thanks and God bless)

YEAH RIGHT B******S
Be carefull out there"

Spoof@ebay.co.uk and spoof@paypal.com have come back within 15mins and said it is a scam. No prizes there then.
I have now had the same email from
Andrew Smith Tisha <ddggjjaa@gmail.com> and
Mary James<bramyjames@gmail.com>
Be carefull out there

She sounds a lovely busy girl?:D

Wandering Minstrel

Free Member
Nov 20, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale
Exp
5 years
we have just been scamed by the seller of the hymer we brought from him. We brought it using google wallet from a guy called Ian Oliver or that what he says he's name is! he claims to live in Scotland.
but it turns out he made the whole thing up including a fake web site. we got sucked in and have learnt the hard way and probably won't get our money back...........so back to the saving!!
just thought i would let every one know about this so you don't get caught out.

Wandering Minstrel

Free Member
Nov 20, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale
Exp
5 years
Hi so sorry to hear of that. I had a very similar experience buying a boat. It was a cloned ebay site including the ' buyer protection ' element. Fraud squad said the site was sadly impressive. Doesn't make you feel any less sick though. Interested to hear that a lady funster raised the question of Banks liability? Duty of care I think it is so I'll follow up on that. Hope you get some positive result and a happy M.Home.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi folks - it is because of these sort of issues that we have deceided to put our Chausson up for sale with "Motorhome Depot" - at least with them, people know they are dealing with a genuine seller and not some scammer!! Its a lovely van by the way!
I know this is an old thread. Did you sell your van through Motorhome depot? I ask because they have been in administration with a winding up order since March.

knighthauler

Free Member
May 11, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2001
Yes we did sell our motorhome via Motorhome Depot - they did all the work and we got what we wanted - worked out well for us!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back