Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I sure do believe this could happen. As the wife of a self-employed person my hubby is always saying to me about keeping the books in order for the Tax & VAT man.

They could come rocking up at our house at any time to inspect our books and let me tell you if they suspect any wrong doing they can seize all property whether it is related to the business or not.

For all the authorities know that MH could have been bought from the proceeds of selling the goods on.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I thought it was a helpful thread to be honest.

The story you conveyed had a ring of truth to it and I don't understand why some posters took it the way they did.

the anomaly in the story was the fact they he says he was allowed to keep the baccy, that just wouldn't happen .. if they seized the van then they would have also seized the baccy as proof of the crime.. .. this was already explained by Bob

This gentleman was then questioned for several hours, given all his tobacco back and a number of a local driver/van hire bloke to transfer it all back to his house. However, his motorhome and all in it was seized.

do you think if a bank robber were caught red handed that after sentencing and going to jail he is allowed to keep the money ?

to me the story is just that .. a story

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Geo, Nikki just informed me that I had this bit wrong, It was not his Baccy he got back but all the belongings from inside the van.

Perhaps you overlooked this little bit?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
why?

you were not there and I see little evidence for your statement, I really hope the guy gets his story published in mmm with all the facts he was able to demonstrate to me, or better still joins the forum with the card I left him. However i would think seeing the replies to trying to highlight to those that don't know the rules he will bother,
case closed your honour, in future I will not offer any information for this site on the basis it will all be bull shit. :thumb:

Just to add, I had no idea you can have your MH snatched for not declaring your baccy (I no longer smoked though) or until this moment that you could class your baccy as gifts. I now do thanks to someone sharing his facts, I thought it might be worth pointing out to others, but hey ho, you live and learn

Sorry I upset you Haggers, I wasn't questioning your veracity, only your source's. Any info you or anyone post's on here is open to question/discussion, otherwise it would be pretty boring on here.

Keep posting, and ignore old gits like me.::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Sorry I upset you Haggers, I wasn't questioning your veracity, only your source's. Any info you or anyone post's on here is open to question/discussion, otherwise it would be pretty boring on here.

Keep posting, and ignore old gits like me.::bigsmile:

Olley

no should be me who's sorry :Blush::Blush::Blush: unlike me to lose my rag so much in the space of a week, :cry:

Must be my time of the month :whatthe:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Knowing that VAT inspectors and Customs officers have far more power than police officers, I don't doubt the story or that they impounded the Motorhome. I think I have seen a TV News item showing all the hundreds of impounded vehicles by Customs .

My neice did 3 years for tobacco smuggling...they took everything she owned.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
no should be me who's sorry :Blush::Blush::Blush: unlike me to lose my rag so much in the space of a week, :cry:

Must be my time of the month :whatthe:

stress paul, you have a family and you are about to leave the known and step into the unknown.
Good luck at uni

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Knowing that VAT inspectors and Customs officers have far more power than police officers, I don't doubt the story or that they impounded the Motorhome. I think I have seen a TV News item showing all the hundreds of impounded vehicles by Customs .

My neice did 3 years for tobacco smuggling...they took everything she owned.

wow, dead interested in that,,, how? what happened? how much and often? Im not going to be doing it, just interested, love watching the show banged up abroad with similar smuggling stories (although drugs)... I will understand if you choose not to elaborate

stress paul, you have a family and you are about to leave the known and step into the unknown.
Good luck at uni

no deffinately time of Month.::bigsmile: you women don't know this as its a secret in mens world, (we suffer too) :Eeek:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
how much and often?

An awful lot and for a very long time. Nothing clever..... transit van job every fortnight.
I could never believe how long they got away with it for. Thought they watched for people like that.:Eeek:

-------------------------------

We were on a camp site in Spain early nineties and couple in caravan next to us were publicans from North East. Lovely Geordie couple. When they left to go home their caravan was stuffed to the gunnels with booze. Every cupboard was full of cartons of wine and bottles of local booze. God knows what weight it was carrying.:Doh:
They got home OK. Must of made a fortune selling all that lot in the pub but I bet his bum was twitching when went through customs. At that time only about 6 litres of wine and 1 litre of spirit per person.:whistle:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am well aware of the law regarding what you can bring into the UK from other member states,and I personaly think the allowances adequate.
What I dont understand is that twice in the last 6 months I have personaly been pulled over and had my vehicle searched in Dover...going OUT of the UK.
Can anybody enlighten me on thet one????:Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Am well aware of the law regarding what you can bring into the UK from other member states,and I personaly think the allowances adequate.
What I dont understand is that twice in the last 6 months I have personaly been pulled over and had my vehicle searched in Dover...going OUT of the UK.

They want to check if you've finished the last hundred-weight of baccy before letting you out for some more::bigsmile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp

Dave, you looked at yaself in the mirror lately our Kid?

No surprise to me :winky::winky:

dodgy as they come, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Oops...maybe your right there Hagers.
Did ask one of the bods what it was all about and he muttered somthing about was my user name JJ.....hadnt a clue what he meant by that.:Cool:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
had it by the french on the fench side

We have been turned over by the French customs (not the UK part at the tunnel) But it was French customs... looking for DVD's

Perhaps they thought you were smuggling illegals back to France:Sad: we do not want them, and I expect they do not.. but strange it happens here. They must have a intel tag on your registration number.

My son - to young to drive then (the rebel) a few years back was doing runs in and out with my brother in law (who was a publican near Stanstead Airport at the time - a jack the lad type..we call him... Fing Dave - yes every other word is an F word) so I later found out.. twice a week on different routes.. he got away with it.. I was not amuzed when I found out that he had him along for the ride. Both are idiots. I gather he just used to top up the optics with the spirits and sell the tobacco at bootfairs. - Beer he shifted at bootfairs, but it was the spirits and tobacco he went for to that place just over the Belgium boarder.

If the goverment puts a minimum cost on a unit we will see it all happening again.. smuggling will be big business again and you will see the hypermarkets in Calais re open. Bad news whichever way it goes. I am a very light drinker, so it does not cause me a problem, and do not smoke, but I like a can of cider now and then or a small beer or lager, or a whiskey .. but as I say light user... trouble ahead I feel.

Bob:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back