Be Aware that if you let your MOT expire or SORN you may not be insured (2 Viewers)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I know a this may have been covered before but if it helps anyone its worth me posting it.

I called my insurer, NFU today to clarify things as my MOT was near to expiry. I thought I may leave it until I needed my van as my MOT garage is easy to book into when required. The person I spoke to contacted their underwriters so as to be 100% sure my answers were correct. I do have to keep my van road legal to be insured. So an MOT is a necessity for insurance with NFU. When asked about SORN the reply was they have specific policies they can issue but I have to keep my vehicle taxed to be insured on a regular policy. The good thing about NFU is they do not charge a service charge for changes on a policy, so I have reduced my mileage down for now as I dont know when we will be using the van this year. If I need to later I can increase the mileage again.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My insurers are Aegis (via Advance Insurance) and they have confirmed that my insurance is still valid despite the van being sorned and the mot has expired.
This is the sensible approach, my road track car is laid up fully insured no MOT or tax and Sornd it’s value is no less and no more than if it had an MOT and TAX. My insurance company are fine about this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If an insurance company tried to impose that on me, under present conditions I'd be straight to the Ombudsman shouting unfair contract terms

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Insurers require you to comply with the road traffic act, I.e. if the vehicle is used on a public highway it must be taxed and mot’d if required etc. If it is off the highway and sorted it is still complying with the road traffic act, do I cannot see how an insurance company can refuse cover?

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
An excerpt of the reply from our NFU Agency when I advised them of our RV going to storage ........

The cover could be reduced to Accidental Damage, Fire & Theft only if the vehicle has been declared SORN. This cover is based on the value of the vehicle......... High value vehicles, such as yours, quite often cost more to insure on this basis than they would left as Comprehensive.

(There is no mention of taxation being needed for comprehensive insurance cover.)

So our RV, when in storage, sits MoT'd, SORN'd and still insured Fully Comprehensive

The OP might want to seek an alternate NFU Agency ??

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
An excerpt of the reply from our NFU Agency when I advised them of our RV going to storage ........

The cover could be reduced to Accidental Damage, Fire & Theft only if the vehicle has been declared SORN. This cover is based on the value of the vehicle......... High value vehicles, such as yours, quite often cost more to insure on this basis than they would left as Comprehensive.

(There is no mention of taxation being needed for comprehensive insurance cover.)

So our RV, when in storage, sits MoT'd, SORN'd and still insured Fully Comprehensive

The NFU agent actually called the underwriter!!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
You can 'reduce' the policy as if you are not using it o the road you do not need the fully comprehensive to protect others in case of injury or accident . In simple terms your insuring an item not a motor vehicle as it is not in use. , You could in theory put in on your house insurance as a valuable item especially if it is on the drive , but I would not want to pay the premiums :rofl: getting really silly it may even be classed as a static caravan if it is stored in a famers field or camp site.
I am sure that I could come up with a few other daft insurance ideas given the time.
Mines on the drive, sorned, insured meeting all the requirements of the RTA. Fingers crossed I will not need the insurance 🤞

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

If the vehicle is SORNed and is off the road, what other cover would be required other than Accidental Damage, Fire and Theft.
(and, who the Hell steals a van that's on Fire!!!)

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If the vehicle is SORNed and is off the road, what other cover would be required other than Accidental Damage, Fire and Theft.
(and, who the Hell steals a van that's on Fire!!!)
I knew I was doing something wrong

1611923841927.png
1611923885771.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back