Be aware -Ouistreham aire (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 years
Stayed here about a week ago. Woke up to male voices about 5-30am, assumed it was someone going or coming home from work at the ferry pot which is right next door. Went out at about 7-30am to let the dog out and the only other Brit on the aire dashed across to tell me that our van and his has been targeted by people trying to board the ferry illegally. They'd been trying all the lockers and had been under the vans presumably to find somewhere to hang on. His wife had heard a noise and opened the blind to find a face looking in at her! The voices we'd heard was her husband talking to gendarmes who had appeared at just the right time. We should have known better really as we'd seen some suspicious looking characters hanging about , and gendarmes with rifles as well as handguns appeared periodically! It's the first time we've used aires so I suppose we are a bit naïve. I'm very glad we'd seen the posts about securing the doors from the inside though. Don't rely on the dog barking - ours didn't make a squeak!!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Don't be put off using aires, we were on the Ouistreham aire last year and there were several migrant youths hanging around. Its because of the proximity to the port. Just take the usual precautions especially near port areas. We has no incidents on our travels and we used may aires on our way thru france and spain

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
If you're travelling back to the UK on the early morning sailing the BF staff at the check in booths will allow you through the gates from 2300. To check in just head into the terminal building the following morning before you sail. There are loads of Securitas staff around plus the customs guys as they search all the HGV's before they pass the inner gate... done it hundreds of times.

Cherbourg is now seeing the same problem too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
As we drove through Ouistreham yesterday I was surprised at the amount of Gendarmes, literally a car or van on every corner until the Rond-Point de la Plaix. There were large groups of mostly men congregating under trees sheltering from the rain all along the D84, D514 & 515, almost as far as the peripherique.

My missus had me contact BF this morning to change our sailing from Ouistreham next Saturday morning ( as mentioned in a previous post we usually overnight at the ferry port) to the Le Havre Friday night sailing.

BERTMARGIT

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Funster No
Wife and I on that aire 2months ago just done the toilet the rinse has a long spout
Handy that gets well in to the cassette
Got back into m/home to see some chaps come along to fill plastic bottles from said spout
Not nice

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wife and I on that aire 2months ago just done the toilet the rinse has a long spout
Handy that gets well in to the cassette
Got back into m/home to see some chaps come along to fill plastic bottles from said spout
Not nice
do you mean it wasnt nice putting the hose in your cassete?

BERTMARGIT

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Funster No
Poor chaps could have got bit ill doing the that
Could spoil there chance get to Britain

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We found a France Passion site only 20 mins from the Tunnel but EUR25 per year would be too expensive for many.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Can't actually create a link to BBC t v news but tonight's evening news very disturbing item 're Ouistreham and the problem of illegals trying to reach Britain. Their efforts to board trucks quite unbelievable. Despite this it would not stop me using Aires but caution required .

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Many are economic migrants and many have modern cellphones and are quite well dressed. It's becoming quite bad at Ouistreham, contacts there say that shops are closing early and local residents are beginning to stay at home or driving to Caen.

We used to overnight at the port ready to return on the Saturday am sailing, now we travel back Friday night from Le Havre which, just like Cherbourg, St Malo & Roscoff has zero problems.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Again, don’t blame Aires, blame the area!
We never stay in an Aire very close to the Tunnel/Ferry as they are the ones that get targeted and we always go on the 'feeling' of an Aire as to wether we stop or not!

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Came through Ouistreham last month, first time in many years we didn't stop for a meal. Watched 2 lads try to get onto a lorry at the roundabout outside the Pommiers rive Bella site, The central car park only had police cars in and we just kept going. As we sat in the port, we saw the police remove people from lorries, it is the world we are in. The bars and restaurants around the port must be struggling.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Many are economic migrants and many have modern cellphones and are quite well dressed. It's becoming quite bad at Ouistreham, contacts there say that shops are closing early and local residents are beginning to stay at home or driving to Caen.

We used to overnight at the port ready to return on the Saturday am sailing, now we travel back Friday night from Le Havre which, just like Cherbourg, St Malo & Roscoff has zero problems.

Certainly Cherbourg had no problems a few weeks ago.

We have never seen problems at Dunkirk, but I put that down to only one ferry every 2 hours, so no queue fo check-in and therefore no traffic slow enough for migrants to board.

Geoff

Feb 11, 2018
North Devon
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
We were there last week. 60-70 immigrants gathered by the river at the end of the cycle trail each evening for organised handouts of water and food. The atmosphere was calm and non threatening. The authorities have got the situation in hand with the help of volunteers. No problems on the Aire but obviously vigilance important. Sad situation, but Ouistreham small enough to be more easily managed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back