Be afraid, very afraid! (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
No you're al-right , I have today recieved my call up papers, "Dear HGV driver" ect ect, exciting driving opportunities ect ect, loads of wonga ect ect. and other drivel.Don't worry though, this former chauffeur of fizzy pop will not be turning up on road near you with a vast amount of highly flammable liquid in tow, many a bottle of tonic water is still trembling from the memory of a days ride out with Mike. Getting me re-trained just in time to retire beggars belief.
Mike.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
No you're al-right , I have today recieved my call up papers, "Dear HGV driver" ect ect, exciting driving opportunities ect ect, loads of wonga ect ect. and other drivel.Don't worry though, this former chauffeur of fizzy pop will not be turning up on road near you with a vast amount of highly flammable liquid in tow, many a bottle of tonic water is still trembling from the memory of a days ride out with Mike. Getting me re-trained just in time to retire beggars belief.
Mike.
Ive got one too. the interesting bit is it says

' even if your driver CPC has lapsed you can be supported in updating this through classroom or online courses'

It doesnt say whether this support is financial or not. Maybe its someone to wake you when you nod off from the pointlessness of it.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
He didn't know Dover was an important port so that report is probably true. Mind you he was actually voted for by people who went through our education system, who beleive anything.
'Now what should I choose? Do I need a full frontal lobotomy, or a full bottle in front of me?' :unsure: :rolleyes::LOL:

Steve

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I never thought i would say/print this. If i was still eligible enough to get a letter. ( think Over the Hill gang :ROFLMAO: .).........". NO way "... I, ( We,I am sure ) have memories of happy days behind the wheel. When it was a well paid game and hours were made to fit the job,not the other way around ?. Somewhere it says it is over regulated ?. Understatement,to many people feeding off the haulage industry,this has to be paid for by the hauliers and then the drivers. Whats that saying ? " You will never miss them till their gone ? " Just one example,parking overnight,£20...Times ten if you have ten vehicles £200 a night Times 5 nights.................. Game over.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BouncyBoatFolk
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Ive got one too. the interesting bit is it says

' even if your driver CPC has lapsed you can be supported in updating this through classroom or online courses'

It doesnt say whether this support is financial or not. Maybe its someone to wake you when you nod off from the pointlessness of it.
Yes,gone are the days of manual entry log books !! remember them? The only other course you needed in them days was one to steer by, oh and keep your feet off the dashboard whilst hurtling down the motorways at 45mph :rolleyes: flat out, except when you knocked her out of cog on any decent downhill bits.
Mike

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
your feet off the dashboard whilst hurtling down the motorways at 45mph :rolleyes: flat out, except when you knocked her out of cog on any decent downhill
Hi.
Technical Term. " Engage Aberdeen booster or,Silent Seventh. "... ( But you KNEW THAT....... YOU SINNER !! )...Death Valley M62/60 Junctions 15-16 Irwell valley, in an OLD.Atki,. Vibrations caused stuff to reappear in the cab that i thought were lost forever and i was checking both mirrors to see if the prop shaft was/had abandoned ship. On a hot summer day through there,if you were going east to west,looking to the left there were some Lagoons ( Ceramic Tiles factory ? ) and Peeps would be swimming. happy days.
Tea Bag . ( aka Two books ?. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:(y))

OP
OP
BouncyBoatFolk
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
"OLD.Atki,.", the lap of luxury you were in ;), Bedford TKs, and Leyland Boxers, we had, the back bone of British trucking.
We had the TKs "Chinese 6s" for round London, 2 axles at front, one at rear. These gave a better lock for all the back doubles round London boroughs, but NO power steering, a couple of months on them and your arms made "Popeye " look like the before picture in the Mr Muscle adverts, that and throwing cases of 3 dozen empty mixer bottles out of 14' deep cellars.
Mike

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
found on Facebook 😡

TRUCKERS ARE THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT GET FINED FOR WORKING . Doing a public service job to help the public .
So here are the new fines for lorrys drivers going to work what a joke
Took from another page !!!!
Just seen this list of fines Blimey!!.....enjoy
Drive vehicle for more than 4.5 hours but less than 5.5 hours without a 45 minute break – £60
Drive vehicle more than 5.5hrs less than 6.5hrs without a 45 minute break – £120
Drive vehicle more than 6.5 hours without a 45 minute break – £200
Drive more than 9 hours but less than 10 hours in a daily driving period – £60
Drive more than 10 hours but less than 11 hours in a daily driving period – £120
Drive more than 11hrs in a daily driving period – £200
Drive more than 10 hours but less than 11 hours in a daily driving period – £60
Drive more than 11 hours but less than 12 hours in a daily driving period – £120
Drive vehicle more than 12 hours daily driving – £200
Driver exceeds weekly drive time limit of 56 hours – drove less than 58 hours – £60
Driver exceeds weekly drive time limit of 56hrs – drove more than 58 hours but less than 59 hours – £120
Driver exceeds weekly drive time limit of 56 hours – drove more than 59 hours – £200
Driver exceeds fortnightly drive limit of 90 hours driving but drove less than 93 hours – £60
Driver exceeds fortnightly drive limit of 90 hours driving – drove more than 93 hrs less than 94 hrs – £120
Driver exceeds fortnightly drive limit of 90 hours – drove more than 94 hours – £200
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest – took less than 11 hours more than 10 hours – £60
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest – took less than 10 hours more than 9 hours – £120
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest – took less than 9 hours – £200
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest (reduced) – took less than 9 hours more than 8 hours – £60
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest (reduced) – took less than 8 hours more than 7 hours – £120
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest (reduced) – took less than 7 hours – £200
Vehicle – multiple drivers take insufficient rest in 30 hour period – < 9 hours but > 8 hours – £60
Vehicle – multiple drivers take insufficient rest in 30 hour period – < 8 hours but > 7 hours – £120
Vehicle – multiple drivers take insufficient rest in 30 hour period – < 7 hours - £200
Driver takes less than 45 hours but more than 43 consecutive hours weekly rest period – £60
Driver takes less than 43 hours but more than 42 consecutive hours weekly rest period – £120
Driver takes less than 42 consecutive hours weekly rest period – £200
Driver takes less than 24 hours but more than 22 consecutive hours reduced weekly rest – £60
Driver takes less than 22 hours but more than 21 consecutive hours reduced weekly rest – £120
Driver takes less than 21 consecutive hours reduced weekly rest – £200
Driver’s 1st daily rest period – take rest of less than 3 consecutive hours took more than 2 hours – £60
Driver’s 1st daily rest period – take rest of less than 3 consecutive hours took < 2 > 1 hour – £120
Driver’s 1st daily rest period – take rest of less than 3 consecutive hours took less than 1 hour – £200
Driver’s 2nd daily rest period – take rest of less than 9 consecutive hours took more than 8 hours – £60
Driver’s 2nd daily rest period – take rest of less than 8 consecutive hours took more than 7 hours – £120
Driver’s 2nd daily rest period – take rest of less than 9 consecutive hours took less than 7 hours – £200
Driver’s total daily rest period – took rest period of less than 12 hours but took more than 11hours – £60
Driver’s total daily rest period of 12 hours – took less than 11 hours but more than 10 hours – £120
Driver’s total daily rest period of 12 hours took less than 10 – £200
Failure to take up to 3 hrs comp rest than required before end of 3rd week where reduced weekly rest taken – £60
Failure to take up to 3 hrs but less than 4 hrs comp rest than required before end 3rd week – reduced weekly rest taken – £120
Failure to take 4 hours or more compensatory rest than required before end of 3rd week – reduced weekly rest – £200

😂😂

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
found on Facebook 😡

TRUCKERS ARE THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT GET FINED FOR WORKING . Doing a public service job to help the public .
Drive vehicle for more than 4.5 hours but less than 5.5 hours without a 45 minute break – £60
Drive vehicle more than 5.5hrs less than 6.5hrs without a 45 minute break – £120
Drive more than 10 hours but less than 11 hours in a daily driving period – £120
Drive more than 11 hours but less than 12 hours in a daily driving period – £120
Driver exceeds weekly drive time limit of 56 hours – drove less than 58 hours – £60
Driver exceeds weekly drive time limit of 56hrs – drove more than 58 hours but less than 59 hours – £120
Driver exceeds weekly drive time limit of 56 hours – drove more than 59 hours – £200
Driver exceeds fortnightly drive limit of 90 hours driving but drove less than 93 hours – £60
Driver exceeds fortnightly drive limit of 90 hours driving – drove more than 93 hrs less than 94 hrs – £120
Driver exceeds fortnightly drive limit of 90 hours – drove more than 94 hours – £200
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest – took less than 11 hours more than 10 hours – £60
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest – took less than 10 hours more than 9 hours – £120
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest (reduced) – took less than 9 hours more than 8 hours – £60
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest (reduced) – took less than 8 hours more than 7 hours – £120
Driver fails to take sufficient daily rest (reduced) – took less than 7 hours – £200
Vehicle – multiple drivers take insufficient rest in 30 hour period – < 9 hours but > 8 hours – £60
Vehicle – multiple drivers take insufficient rest in 30 hour period – < 8 hours but > 7 hours – £120
Vehicle – multiple drivers take insufficient rest in 30 hour period – < 7 hours - £200
Driver takes less than 45 hours but more than 43 consecutive hours weekly rest period – £60
Driver takes less than 43 hours but more than 42 consecutive hours weekly rest period – £120
Driver takes less than 24 hours but more than 22 consecutive hours reduced weekly rest – £60
Driver takes less than 22 hours but more than 21 consecutive hours reduced weekly rest – £120
Driver’s 1st daily rest period – take rest of less than 3 consecutive hours took more than 2 hours – £60
Driver’s 1st daily rest period – take rest of less than 3 consecutive hours took < 2 > 1 hour – £120
Driver’s 1st daily rest period – take rest of less than 3 consecutive hours took less than 1 hour – £200
Driver’s 2nd daily rest period – take rest of less than 9 consecutive hours took more than 8 hours – £60
Driver’s 2nd daily rest period – take rest of less than 8 consecutive hours took more than 7 hours – £120
Driver’s 2nd daily rest period – take rest of less than 9 consecutive hours took less than 7 hours – £200
Driver’s total daily rest period – took rest period of less than 12 hours but took more than 11hours – £60
Driver’s total daily rest period of 12 hours – took less than 11 hours but more than 10 hours – £120
Failure to take up to 3 hrs comp rest than required before end of 3rd week where reduced weekly rest taken – £60
Failure to take up to 3 hrs but less than 4 hrs comp rest than required before end 3rd week – reduced weekly rest taken – £120
Failure to take 4 hours or more compensatory rest than required before end of 3rd week – reduced weekly rest – £200

😂😂
I’m going picking fruit……

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
found on Facebook 😡

😂😂
That is unless it suits the government to bend the rules for a couple of months because the failed to appreciate the obvious looming problem.

OP
OP
BouncyBoatFolk
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I think this was the clincher for me, my first drop of the day was along a tight twisty single track road, with passing places. After a mile or so I had picked up a convoy, as the road was also used as a bit of a rat run between two A roads. The road was lined with big country mansion piles either side set back behind their fortified gates and fences.
I then happened upon a Range Rover, in a headlong dash towards me flashing it's lights and playing "old Glory" on the hooter. I had to stop as there was no way round it. I got out of the truck to speak with the driver, the window was slid down on car, and the "yummy Mummy " at helm shrieked at me, " move that you imbecile, I have to get the children to school". I see, says' I , do you not think you could maybe reverse up the 25yds to that passing place just behind you, pointing it out over her shoulder. The look of derision was unfiltered, " get back in your [ expletive ] truck you sh"^TY little man and out of my way" she retorted. " well, I said,whilst I might be game for reversing the 150 yds back to the previous passing place behind me, the other half dozen cars stuck behind me may be less helpful. I do have my lunch with me, and enough drinks to last out a while so I'll just wait for you to see reason", and got back in the truck and retrieved my news paper whilst she carried on blasting on the hooter. She did get bored with this game after ten minutes, and the increasing demands from the other commuters stuck in the queue and seeing for themselves the reason for the hold up. Eventually, she saw common sense, and thus started the tortuous reversing back to the passing place, that took several attempts, of forwards and backwards, and lock to lock steering wheel manoeuvres. Having made the passing place, I moved forwards, and wound the window down to congratulate her on seeing sense, but with what can only be described as absolute venom she hissed at me " they should have passed that hanging bill for people like you that don't know their place in this world" I did ponder having a mechanical breakdown at that moment whilst she was totally trapped in the passing place, but felt the drivers behind me had already endured enough of a hold up. Agreed not a typical interaction with Joe public, but more or less captures the esteem that drivers of the time were held in.
Mike

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I think this was the clincher for me, my first drop of the day was along a tight twisty single track road, with passing places. After a mile or so I had picked up a convoy, as the road was also used as a bit of a rat run between two A roads. The road was lined with big country mansion piles either side set back behind their fortified gates and fences.
I then happened upon a Range Rover, in a headlong dash towards me flashing it's lights and playing "old Glory" on the hooter. I had to stop as there was no way round it. I got out of the truck to speak with the driver, the window was slid down on car, and the "yummy Mummy " at helm shrieked at me, " move that you imbecile, I have to get the children to school". I see, says' I , do you not think you could maybe reverse up the 25yds to that passing place just behind you, pointing it out over her shoulder. The look of derision was unfiltered, " get back in your [ expletive ] truck you sh"^TY little man and out of my way" she retorted. " well, I said,whilst I might be game for reversing the 150 yds back to the previous passing place behind me, the other half dozen cars stuck behind me may be less helpful. I do have my lunch with me, and enough drinks to last out a while so I'll just wait for you to see reason", and got back in the truck and retrieved my news paper whilst she carried on blasting on the hooter. She did get bored with this game after ten minutes, and the increasing demands from the other commuters stuck in the queue and seeing for themselves the reason for the hold up. Eventually, she saw common sense, and thus started the tortuous reversing back to the passing place, that took several attempts, of forwards and backwards, and lock to lock steering wheel manoeuvres. Having made the passing place, I moved forwards, and wound the window down to congratulate her on seeing sense, but with what can only be described as absolute venom she hissed at me " they should have passed that hanging bill for people like you that don't know their place in this world" I did ponder having a mechanical breakdown at that moment whilst she was totally trapped in the passing place, but felt the drivers behind me had already endured enough of a hold up. Agreed not a typical interaction with Joe public, but more or less captures the esteem that drivers of the time were held in.
Mike
When was that, 1765? You're lucky you weren't put in the stocks......

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
One of my mates sent me this, he said I can carry on driving even though I lost my sight in one eye. 😁. Bob

IMG-20210928-WA0005.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
"Chinese 6s" for round London, 2 axles at front, one at rear.
I hadn't seen one of those for years in the UK & had forgotten about tem, until the builders merchant here delivered to me using one!
found on Facebook 😡

😂😂
Yes absolutely ludicrous.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I hadn't seen one of those for years in the UK & had forgotten about tem, until the builders merchant here delivered to me using one!

Yes absolutely ludicrous.
I think the message is that people get punished for breaking the rules! Truckers might think that they are over-regulated but they could always do something else.

Should city traders be punished for illegal trading? Is it correct to criticise a medical professional for giving the wrong medication? If a train driver or an airline pilot exceeds their working hours should they just be ignored?

There have been numerous posts saying how responsible lorry drivers need to be: sticking to the rules is part of the responsibility.

Gordon

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
NO power steering, a couple of months on them and your arms made "Popeye "
Hi.
No power steering ?........ Did you not think of having 2 EGGS FOR BREAKFAST ? .... Did you not put your thumb in your mouth and blow real hard ?..... THIS used to increase your Biceps.?.... Did your mother tell you NUFFIN'...?...Still.....You and i were there,when cabs were wood and men were STEEL..
:ROFLMAO: .
Tea Bag.🚛:beerchug:;)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
something else.
Hi.
Thats just what they are doing.... For at least the same,if not more money and being home at night.
Not wanting to start any trouble. Safety,win/lose.?.. Arrived at a site with concrete floor beams on,been doing it on and off for years.There were several blown up,trailer height about a metre wide rubber sections,you backed up and these were pulled around the trailer,i was forbidden to get on the trailer to " Sling " the units. When i was unloaded,i was not allowed onto the trailer and a chap swept it clean for me,when he had done so,he jumped off of the trailer onto the " Bladders? " These then shot him about 2 metres on/into the yard ?? Thats SAFE ?. Super safe. Unloading 60' steel at near London Wall . The lads had safety straps attached to the traile side guards,so if they fell a ratchet type device slowed their fall. The unloading was being done via a radio link from the next street and Tower crane. One of the lads had put a lifting strap BETWEEN himself and the Steel. OK'd the Craney. STOP...STOP...STOP. he was being pulled in two by the crane and his safety harness.
There is a danger in everything,just an observation,when with the best of intentions,things can go wrong,no matter how many safeguards are put in place..
Tea Bag

OP
OP
BouncyBoatFolk
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I think the message is that people get punished for breaking the rules! Truckers might think that they are over-regulated but they could always do something else.

Should city traders be punished for illegal trading? Is it correct to criticise a medical professional for giving the wrong medication? If a train driver or an airline pilot exceeds their working hours should they just be ignored?

There have been numerous posts saying how responsible lorry drivers need to be: sticking to the rules is part of the responsibility.

Gordon
The kicker was,when tacho's we're first introduced we were told, " they won't be used to check your speed retrospectively " they lied, and drivers were convicted on the evidence retrieved from the tacho disc.
We were told " tacho's won't be used to check you're taking you're breaks at the correct times and not on the back of the truck working" guess what, they lied again, and used the evidence forensically retrieved from old disc to prosecute drivers for driving hours offences.
Can you think of another profession that has to suffer this level of intrusion, would you suffer such a device on your private vehicle that could retrieve evidence that could be used to prosecute you at some future date??
"Should city traders be punished for illegal trading?" Any prosecutions for the LIBOR rate fixing scandal ?
Mike

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Yep mine have arrived, and I’m going to take them up on the offer, when I was on furlough you couldn‘t get a cpc or digital card but now I’m starting back with my normal job I’ve decided I’m dumping that and going to take up tramping again.

im Meant to be going a gig in Monaco next month, but who wants a 5 star hotel, room service, restaurant, expense account and £1400 a day when you could sleep in a lay-by with no toilet?

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
found on Facebook 😡

😂😂
Why is it wrong to fine people who break the law?

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
"Should city traders be punished for illegal trading?" Any prosecutions for the LIBOR rate fixing scandal ?
Mike
It looks like we agree that people who break the rules should be punished. But you seem to imply that potentially losing a lot of money is a serious problem but carrying out activities which could cause physical damage and possibly loss of life should be treated with a degree of leniency.

And if the evidence is clear, submitted (and presumably signed?) by the perpetrator why should it be ignored? Naivety is no excuse.

Gordon

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Why is it wrong to fine people who break the law?
It’s not, but the point trying to be made is this,

Assume your driving a car to a meeting and your running late, you may push your speed on a bit to get there in time, speeding is a crime and you shouldn’t do it, but we all do at times when we’re forced to.

Now if you boss is screaming at you not to be late, you could speed up to get there, but this doesn’t happen all the time so it’s an exception and breaking the rules every now and then is maybe ok.

But when your pulling 44 tonnes around, and you’ve got 4 deliveries (or more) booked in at specific times each day your be getting pushed to make the allotted times, your company may be fined if your late, you have to make up for the last drop taking too long to unload you, then you’ve got drivers hours, working time directive, traffic, boss chasing you up, weather, etc all to deal with and then there’s a spy in your cab reporting everything you do to the authorities, a count down clock telling you when you need to stop, a lack of lay-bys, a lack of facilities and a lack of common sense.

All coupled with desire to be home in time for dinner it tends to get more than a bit stressful, and unlike your meeting, this is everyday and every week and every month and every year, and when you get it wrong the old bill, the ministry, the boss and the spy in the cab ALL just blame you, that’s you on low wages, sleeping in a cab with no facilities being forced to shit in a hedge, piss in a bottle and eat what ever over priced crap you can pick up as you go.

So yes your absolutely correct, there’s nothing wrong in fining people who break the law.

But there’s something wrong in employment conditions that pretty much force people to break the law and then make them pay for it.

I’m sure you’ve been stressed by sitting in traffic on a motorway, but imagine your going to get a nick if that traffic doesn’t clear, or your not going to get home that night, or your going to have to explain to your boss why he’s got a fine for you being late or your going to have to sleep in a lay-by with no hot meal, no toilet, and a trailer full of goods that your expected to look after.

And then you get nicked for being in the driving seat too long.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back