Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Hello all, now that we can see a summer coming,I’ve decided to get a bbq for the MH, there is only 2 of us, so something small. I was thinking of a Cadac,, that aside,coz I’ve never had one,,how long would the gas pipe need to be from the bbq outlet on the van to the bbq? Don’t want to burn the old girl down or cause damage but still be an effective bit of kit,,all advice will be lovingly taken,,,cheers

Solution
Hello all, now that we can see a summer coming,I’ve decided to get a bbq for the MH, there is only 2 of us, so something small. I was thinking of a Cadac,, that aside,coz I’ve never had one,,how long would the gas pipe need to be from the bbq outlet on the van to the bbq? Don’t want to burn the old girl down or cause damage but still be an effective bit of kit,,all advice will be lovingly taken,,,cheers
I believe the max length of the pipe should be 2m .
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Did the larger cadac but now have the 2cook Pro- imo better as more versatile and easier to clean as grill plates drop into a bowl. Can use a mixture of griddle/flat plate/gas ring.As always a compromise from a 'proper' BBQ but ok for me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Think too about a Weber Q1200 - we used to have a Cadac Carri Chef, which was okay-ish at best. The Weber is way better, in my view - not the same as charcoal bbq, but a lot closer, and more convenient than charcoal. Roasts a (smallish) whole chicken well.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Have small cadac which are very convenient but a pain to clean, a large cadac that I now keep at home but also now take them instant charcoal bbq at about £2 each . As we have T5 camper space at a premium otherwise I’d have another Weber.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I could never recommend a Cadac after ours collapsed and nearly set fire to the grass and motorhome. Even prior to this I was not impressed with it. It was fiddly to set-up, lacking in heat control and difficult to clean.
When we explained to Cadac what had happened to our BBQ (thought they ought to know because of the safety issue) they didn't even reply to my email. I went on line and found others had had a similar experience.
My vote would be for a Weber Baby Q.

Upvote 0

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Weber baby Q which is connected to the mh gas system via a Bullfinch connector. It's great. It's larger bro is on the patio at home.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I had a Cadac but got fed up with cleaning it in the end but after reading the comments earlier in the thread, the lava rock idea seems pretty good but as mentioned it wouldn’t get hot enough.
I now have an Iroda O Grill from America and I find it to be very good.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to decide if you want to griddle or BBQ on a rack, Cadacs are mainly used as the former so not a 'true' BBQ.

Having had many types of BBQ/griddle over the years they one mentioned below is one of the best as you can use it with the lid up or down and it has a warming rack built into it, everything is kept 'inside' when the lid is closed so no worry about any grease etc escaping (kept upright of course) - we just had a large shopping bag which it was plopped into once cool, this is the model we have:

2013_New-Gas-Barbecue-2web.jpg

I recommend the portable Asda one that normally starts getting stocked around now. It's a good size, cuboid shape for efficient storage, usually on for £45, is light and can run off a regulated supply such as a BBQ outlet (many more expensive brands have built in regulators and can only run directly connected to a full pressure unregulated bottle).

Update:
It's currently on for £30. Bargain!

We only stopped taking it when started to do a lot more 'wild' camping/aires where most of the time you can't BBQ outside however we have a suitcase type one which we do take with us on the odd occasion so that if we want to BBQ and can't do it next to the MH (eg on an aire) we can take it to the beach instead, it runs off the cheap aerosol type canisers:

3 in 1 bbq stove grill.jpg

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all your replies,,,one more quickie,,I’m a little confused on the actual diameter of the hose I should use with a Bullfinch adaptor,,any ideas? Pretty please
Normal flex orange hose from camping shops

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back