May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Hi.
Looking into buying my first free-standing barbeque for my new motorhome. The moho has an external gas BBQ point which presumably is regulated to the same gas pressure as the rest of the appliances.
Question is, do I need to fit a second regulator on the external gas pipe to the BBQ or does the gas pressure all match without??

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
If you run BBQ off vans gas point you wont need a 2nd regulator on bbq it is regulated by the 1 already on the vans gas supply

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have an external gas point which we use with a Cadac Grillogas BBQ. As the gas pressure is already regulated via the gas bottle regulator for the van, we do not use a second regulator for the BBQ. I guess you may need to verify that the gas BBQ you purchase is compatible with the standard gas pressure of the van in case there are variants (small gas canister versions)?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
No regulator required.

A Cadac is a grill, not a BBQ, and also rubbish in my experience. But that has been discussed on here many times. Used mine 3 times and sold for £50, after purchase at £160. Get yourself a proper BBQ if it’s the proper taste you want.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Make sure you get one designed to work off a gas hose not a canister if you want to use the external bbq point (low pressure). I would still stick to my £10 small stove and a frying pan though!!!!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Depends on whether you want a real BBQ - Taste, burnt food, smoke and really annoyed neighbours,:mad: or do you just want a method of cooking outdoors. :whistle: We have two cadacs - one safari chef is high pressure and uses the round cartridges and is used for the majority of the time. The second one is the larger carri chef which we use either on a spare bottle with regulator or plug into the MH external point as this one is low pressure. (y) Both are excellent and used often, but, if we broke or lost either of them, I would not run to the shops to buy another. :( We only want an outside cooker and a small gas stove and grill pan would do. We do use disposables if we want the authentic smokey taste and are well away from neighbours.;);)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
You can always buy/make a smoker box and use woodchips on gas BBQ if you want more smokey flavours

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Make sure you get one designed to work off a gas hose not a canister if you want to use the external bbq point (low pressure). I would still stick to my £10 small stove and a frying pan though!!!!
The ones I've looked at sometimes come with 2 different hoses - one with regulator, one without. So presumably this covers both options.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Another vote for cadac, we have the grillogas and it’s great for most things. We have the paella pan with it and can cook a full English in one pan.

Tip for when using the griddle when you bbq, put water in the bottom of the main body and the fat just drips into it making cleaning a breeze. (The griddle itself takes a bit of scrubbing sometimes)

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Just bought a Weber Q2200 excellent for BBQ and external cooker, works on standard reg.
Jim

Bdeners

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
2014 Hobby 65 GE
Exp
Since May 2018

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Webber Q series think they do two sizes, had mine 12 years and still going strong. On a stand to stop our small dog pinching the sausages, Does weigh a bit.

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, we have a Cadac which we connect to our external gas connection. No additional regulator needed. I was advised though, that because it runs at low pressure, I needed to limit the length of rubber hose between the gas connection and the Cadac. (Too much pressure loss on a long hose I guess). I think our hose is about 1.5m.
I agree, the Cadac isn’t really a barbecue: it’s more about external cooking when the weather is suitable. We make all kinds of stir-fry stuff in the wok-like pan that came with the Cadac.

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We've got a cadak, it's got two rings and a grill plate , fantastic for cooking outdoors, coal bbqs taste great but are quite anti social to your neighbours, ok if your up a mountain on your own

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I have a weber Q and that works on a 4m hose and the heat setting is right down - whatever pressure loss with length of hose is not making any difference they get too hot anyway with lid down

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
don't forget you may need to get the connector that 'twist' fits onto your external connection point.

we use a cadac as it has so many different options but I'm sure there are all sorts of different but similar cookers out there. our favourite use of the cadac is with the pizza stone, I was a bit sceptic when I bought it BUT we wouldn't be without it now, really does crisp up the bottom of a pizza, we buy supermarket ones and jazz them up with extra peppers, sea food, pepperoni etc or anything in the fridge that needs cooking lol.

weve been cooking on a gas bbq for years now and prefer it to charcoal, wood etc and it wins hands down on convenience.

you can also use the cadac as an oven - so it really is a versatile bit of kit, but as I said earlier, there are many different versions and manufacturers of similar products. if you get chance, go and see what people are using in their motorhomes on rallies etc before you choose what to buy

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No regulator required.

A Cadac is a grill, not a BBQ, and also rubbish in my experience. But that has been discussed on here many times. Used mine 3 times and sold for £50, after purchase at £160. Get yourself a proper BBQ if it’s the proper taste you want.
I bought a rubbish Cadac off a Funster on here and really enjoy using it :rofl:

Cheers Andy.....it found a good home. :cheers:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Had BBQ s, little suitcase gas stoves, and disposals. But the best for me is my Cadac Stores away nice and neat, I can run it off my normal van gas or off the gas cannisters which I usually buy from sanflo at shows as they are cheaper than anywhere else .

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I bought a rubbish Cadac off a Funster on here and really enjoy using it :rofl:

Cheers Andy.....it found a good home. :cheers:

I’m glad you are enjoying it. I can’t think how you are managing to keep the poxy thing alight, i couldn’t.

I’ve now got a nice simple gas ring for external gas cooking and a proper bbq for when I want the real taste. I think it’s still quicker than pizzing about with all them Cadac bits, and cleaning the sodding thing.

Last straw was when it blew out AGAIN, put a lighter near it, and the tray exploded off the top, complete with all my sausages, bacon and baked beans

:mad::mad::mad:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I’m glad you are enjoying it. I can’t think how you are managing to keep the poxy thing alight, i couldn’t.

I’ve now got a nice simple gas ring for external gas cooking and a proper bbq for when I want the real taste. I think it’s still quicker than pizzing about with all them Cadac bits, and cleaning the sodding thing.

Last straw was when it blew out AGAIN, put a lighter near it, and the tray exploded off the top, complete with all my sausages, bacon and baked beans

:mad::mad::mad:
Did you mutter anything under your breath. :D
Seriously though, we have never had a problem with ours. (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Did you mutter anything under your breath. :D
Seriously though, we have never had a problem with ours. (y)
Cadac do seem a bit marmite, but we’ve not had any issues with ours either, assembles in seconds, lights reliably, stays lit, cooks stuff, easy to clean and dismantle afterwards. Ok, it’s not a true charcoal BBQ, but we find it a lot more convenient and versatile. Probably one of the best accessories we’ve bought.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I had a Cadac for years, they’re ok I suppose and you can buy loads of different pans and stuff.
I now have an Iroda O grill, I find it very good tbh and a lot cheaper than Cadac.
Similar to the Weber too.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Suppose the amount of different makes out there and variations in price really doesn't matter what people get as long as they are happy with it

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Love our Cadac Safari Chef 2.
Never had the burner blow out, so wonder if the people that have had problems have assembled the components correctly.

The only problem we have with ours is that it's a little to small and we struggle to get all we want on in one go, so at the last motorhome show I bought a Cadac 2 cook deluxe. Not had a chance to christen it yet so roll on the good weather.

cadac 2 cook.jpg

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Cadac state that any hose "shall not exceed 1.5m". I know many people ignore this but it is important that everyone is aware of this before using a longer hose.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Like or dislike Cadac, or its looky likey.

They aren’t BBQ’s. They are grills, or hot plates. This is just so the original poster knows before they buy, as title of post is “BBQ help”.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Like or dislike Cadac, or its looky likey.

They aren’t BBQ’s. They are grills, or hot plates. This is just so the original poster knows before they buy, as title of post is “BBQ help”.

Yes you stated that earlier in the thread, but are sure the OP is not just using BBQ as a generic term for outdoor cooking ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back