BBQ gas outlet question. (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
My neighbour on our caravan site is about to use the BBQ outlet via the correct bayonet connector and outlet on the side of his caravan (sorry) for his BBQ - so far so good.

But the question has been raised as to whether he could use the same connection to feed in gas from a large external bottle (via a correct regulator on the bottle)? He would switch off the gas in the gas locker and rely on the large external bottle.

I can't see why not as there would be regulated pressure inside the system and I can't see if it matters where it is introduced into the system. But you probably know better!?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's a very common sight on campsites all over Spain where they buy a local bottle and regulator and feed in via the BBQ..

While I have never heard of an issue doing this it makes me wonder that in the case of a fire and a van gets wiped out. Evidence that a bottle connected this way "MAY" invalidate an insurance claim.
maybe - just saying like.. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there I am not giving negative critism here but a genuine question is this:
if it is a bbq point then I would think it be on the outlet side of the regulator, so if you are feeding gas back in through the bbq point you are feeding gas in reverse flow towards the regulator. The regulator is designed to regulate the pressure flow from bottle to appliances in one direction only ... back feed pressure sounds a bad bad idea?

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Hi there I am not giving negative critism here but a genuine question is this:
if it is a bbq point then I would think it be on the outlet side of the regulator, so if you are feeding gas back in through the bbq point you are feeding gas in reverse flow towards the regulator. The regulator is designed to regulate the pressure flow from bottle to appliances in one direction only ... back feed pressure sounds a bad bad idea?
I agree. But. If feeding gas back in - after a regulator - is at the system pressure then what's the problem?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When we had a (temporary) problem filling our lpg tank, Autogas 2000, the makers of the lpg tank, recommended using a bottle with a regulator into the BBQ point. Its perfectly safe. :)

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Best fit an in line ( on/ off) tap immediately after the outlet side of the van regulator to prevent external gas pressure going back into the regulator. Then the external bottle and regulator would work the system fine

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
They never will be at the same pressure there has to be design differences and tolerances.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or you can buy a hose that fits direct to cylinder and supplies at full pressure to the gaslow/gasit filling port. that means you can have a piggyback external cylinder and still use the bbq port

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back