Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
We have a small cadac safari chef which is excellent and folds down and fits into a very small space ,it runs on Gas only ,used to have a Weber gas BBQ that ran on gas but had lava rock on a rack above the burner ,a pig to clean but a good little BBQ, the cadac works on a hot plate girdle or wire grill but no lava rock so easier to wash and clean. Hope this is of some help.
Emrys

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've tried several different types of BBQ and/or grills over the years. The Cadac Safari chef takes some beating on most counts as long as you are not cooking for lots of folk. It's compact, lightweight and very easy to keep clean. Highly recommend it!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Cadac gets our vote too - quick and convenient to use and folds up small

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
No No No ... the Lotus rill is the new kid on the block ........ brilliant

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
At malvern I also used just the Cadac with the burner and a frying pan on top (didn't want cooking smells inside). It worked very well. also sue it as intended as well.

Some picky person will no doubt point out that it is a grill, not a barbeque but most of us arent that bothered.... Cheers

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
are excellent for the money

just need to buy more lava rock as what comes with it is a bit pants!!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Any advise
Woooody[/QUOTE]
We have a Cadac Safari Chef too, takes some beating. The only gas/charcoal bbq's I have seen available in the UK have been quite big, certainly not portable. You could look for an Everdure eChurrasco dual fuel bbq, but I have only ever seen them advertised in Oz

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Woody, I don't think you are going to find a dual fuel that fits your criteria. We use a Cadac safari as mentioned and have a small fold up charcoal BBQ from Asda (£10) both work a treat for there individual functions and are light and minimal storage. On a personal note - lava rocks!! what's the point of that? Fat soaked rocks that you keep re-heating, Mmmmmmm. :eek:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
At malvern I also used just the Cadac with the burner and a frying pan on top (didn't want cooking smells inside). It worked very well. also sue it as intended as well.

Some picky person will no doubt point out that it is a grill, not a barbeque but most of us arent that bothered.... Cheers
I'm that picky person .......:p

BBQ = charcoal and flavour ....In fact these days I burn wood then cook once it's died down

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Would think best option is cadac plus dispose able barbeque

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cadac Phfft use mine as a bird table certainly performs that task better than it does being a BBQ.

Think Cadac think
Emporers new clothes syndrome :rofl::rofl:

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Such an emotive thing the BBQ, there are really two sides to this one, charcoal, time to light and get to the right temperature, then the cleaning and disposing of ashes / coals, against the quickness and convenience of a cadac type gas grill (i dont call it a BBQ) they both have merits and downsides, but getting back to OP if there is such a beast I am not aware of one, although there isnt any reason whilst a handy person cant use a gas poker type thing to ignight the coals, I remember when I was a lad my parents used to have such a thing to light the "Rayburn" coal fire in the lounge mid you I would expect there to be a reguation against it somewhere in the EU - lol :LOL::LOL:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
It's all down to individual preference at the end of the day! I saw the Lotus Grill being used in Orkney this summer by a family from Switzerland and I have to admit I was well impressed. I was even more impressed when after their BBQ and a few bottles of wine, he produced a set of bagpipes and started playing Mull of Kintyre. Not what you expect from your average Swiss visitor!

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Cadac Safari Chef is great if you want to run on gas. Currently £64.99 from trago.co.uk but Go Outdoors do a price promise so will knock another 10% off.

The Cobb grill is more expensive but beats the Lotus which although is availablle in a choice of pretty rainbow colours annoyingly requires batteries ! So long as you use the recommended fuels in the Cobb it runs for hours on a handful of fuel cooking a joint of meat or even a whole chicken if you want. Australian beads briquettes are easy enough to find online but perhaps not in your local supermarket. The Cobb can run on "Cobblestones" if you can get hold of them. These compact discs light easily and are ready to cook on almost immediately.

I realise neither of these options are technically barbeques but both are much more versatile and enable food to be cooked thoroughly without having to be blackened.

Mahlzeit !

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Weber Go Anywhere, rectangular unit so fits nicely into lockers/garages comes in gas or charcoal but you would have to buy two :) Get yourself a chimney starter for the charcoal and use Aussie Heat Beads. Can never understand all the fuss people make about having to wait about for the charcoal to get hot, with proper time management, you can be preparing stuff while the barbie heats up or failing that, have another drink ! If you’re gonna use a Cadac, why not save yourself the bother and just buy those prepacked individual burgers in a bun that you just microwave :LOL:

OP
OP
WOOOODENTOP
Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
Well theres a can of worms opened....
I really cant see the point of a "gas BBQ"....may as well use the cooker...so it looks like finding a decent charcoal one.
The Lotus grill looks good but does it give the burnt charred sausage flavour that ive come to like?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , As Pikeman say's , cadac & small charcoal bbq. I use cadac most of the time but have a charcoal bbq in the van when I want that smoky flavour ( just means a lot more clearing up ,ash etc) where as the cadac just needs washing the the griddle plate.
Terry

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm that picky person .......:p

BBQ = charcoal and flavour ....In fact these days I burn wood then cook once it's died down

To be honest, I prefer charcoal but laziness and convenience wins every day when trying to de-stress ;)(y)

Cadac Phfft use mine as a bird table certainly performs that task better than it does being a BBQ.

Think Cadac think
Emporers new clothes syndrome :rofl::rofl:

Well, it is conveniently small but large enough for two, it cooks well and heats up quickly, can be used in a number of ways, hooks up easily to the BBQ point and is relatively easy to clean and stow away. I'm all for watching the emperor :restmycase:

Such an emotive thing the BBQ, there are really two sides to this one, charcoal, time to light and get to the right temperature, then the cleaning and disposing of ashes / coals, against the quickness and convenience of a cadac type gas grill (i dont call it a BBQ) they both have merits and downsides, but getting back to OP if there is such a beast I am not aware of one, although there isnt any reason whilst a handy person cant use a gas poker type thing to ignight the coals, I remember when I was a lad my parents used to have such a thing to light the "Rayburn" coal fire in the lounge mid you I would expect there to be a reguation against it somewhere in the EU - lol :LOL::LOL:

Gas pokers......they were great when allowed to light the fire as a kid. Loved it. They fell out of fashion a bit with the demise of the Krays and Richardsons, I think.......:whistle2:

The best BBQ I have ever seen in a van was the portable weber one that Peter and Caryll use - a superb bit of kit, but not sure if it could be used with charcoal instead of gas (but thought it possible)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back