BBC website today - 30 year retirement (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
on You Tube very good. titled Our Tour blog.
they have got a Hymer
terry

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
They have not retired. He goes back to work when he gets bored.

I have followed them for quite a few years, initially they wanted to travel over europe for a year. This turned into 2 they went back home and sold the van and went back to work.

Having missed the road they bought another van and travel again.

@Our Bumble is a close friend of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Advantages and Disadvantages, I "retired" (well, I was made an "offer not to be refused") aged 58, Sold up and moved back to "Gods Country". Spent 2+ years living in the R-V, building a House, and travelling to Spain every Winter. House finished, we then started Travelling the USA, for 6 months a year. When not abroad I did a Fair bit of Agency Driving, HGV needed for my R-V`s so why not use it?. If you watch your Spend a bit and dont have expensive "habits". It`s do-able. Now 74, with SWMBO now having too many medical issues to get travel insurance, we are confined to Blighty, and the R-V`s have gone along with the LGV licence, so we now have the "Wendy" house (Rapido). But we are away this weekend to Southampton for a "Blessing" of my sons marriage, will visit friends on the return leg. We just keep going, and will until they turn the lights out. We have recently started to use a lot of Pub stops, to break the longer journeys. "Free" Site, for the cost of a Meal and a few beers, which we would probably buy anyway.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Renting out four propBroken Link Removederties must help !!!

Good luck to em!!

Even one property - if it is in leafy SW London;) Mainly achieved through 'No wife, no kids'

So now we(Basia and I) have the means to travel free of kids, but are now constrained by her elderly Mother - the other end of constraint. Not what I would have anticipated at 75.

Geoff

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
It depends if these 4 properties are mortgaged or not...... if not, very nice, if so, well that depends on difference twixt the two......nice to have the balls to do it....... Good luck :hi5:

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Good luck to them, I'm just jealous being the same age as they are! No kids makes a big difference, says the man with 3....

I'm just shoving as much into the pension pot as I can with the aim of retiring at 60. 55 would be nice but 60 is more realistic. Having seen father-in-law keel over at 65 after just 6 months retired, and with mother-in-law currently entering the throes of dementia at 74, the Government know exactly what they can do with my "official" retirement age of 68! Yes I could make life a bit more comfortable now instead but why? Am I really that bothered to be driving about in a 12 year old car & van rather than new ones, for example? No, not bothered at all.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Like NI I am luckily in a position to travel more but we are constrained by the 91year old M I L , recently she was reversed into by her friend, serious leg injury involving skin grafts, We end up being the Hospital transport, aftercare, housekeeper, food shoppers etc. Strangley enough there are two other siblings who live local to her but the lions share allways falls on us an we live 50 mikes away!!!!!!
Not surprising I am becoming somewhat hacked off , especially when we purchased a new M H recently.
With the rubbish weather of late I look daily at the Southern Spain forecast and get even more
P........d off.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Strangley enough there are two other siblings who live local to her but the lions share allways falls on us an we live 50 mikes away!!!!!!

What we used to call the "Willing Donkey Syndrome"?. You don`t get rid of it until you play hard-ball. I know, we had it with an older relative too. Who had uncooperative siblings. We eventually told them we where off on "holiday" & left no contact. Within 2 weeks Social services where coping and the "siblings" where paying!.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It depends if these 4 properties are mortgaged or not...... if not, very nice, if so, well that depends on difference twixt the two......nice to have the balls to do it....... Good luck :hi5:
After their first 2 years away, when they had no mortgage, they came back and bought an auction property ( an old butchers shop ) with a house and outbuildings.
Planning permission for the outbuildings converted to a bedsit gives them a bolthole.
With the bedrooms n the house let out. They now have a small mortgage that pays for its self and gives them a modest income to travel.
As well as thier original house and a house he had when he was younger, that also bring in rent. All properties are run by an agent giving them hassle free income.
They also get royalties from Amazon for clicking links on their website, a couple of books they have written and some investments.
They both can fall back on decent incomes if they want to as he is an IT wizz and she is into marketing.

When they are fed up he works as a freelance IT bloke and earns decent money.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
After their first 2 years away, when they had no mortgage, they came back and bought an auction property ( an old butchers shop ) with a house and outbuildings.
Planning permission for the outbuildings converted to a bedsit gives them a bolthole.
With the bedrooms n the house let out. They now have a small mortgage that pays for its self and gives them a modest income to travel.
As well as thier original house and a house he had when he was younger, that also bring in rent. All properties are run by an agent giving them hassle free income.
They also get royalties from Amazon for clicking links on their website, a couple of books they have written and some investments.
They both can fall back on decent incomes if they want to as he is an IT wizz and she is into marketing.

When they are fed up he works as a freelance IT bloke and earns decent money.
Good luck to them

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Good luck to them, I'm just jealous being the same age as they are! No kids makes a big difference, says the man with 3....

I'm just shoving as much into the pension pot as I can with the aim of retiring at 60. 55 would be nice but 60 is more realistic. Having seen father-in-law keel over at 65 after just 6 months retired, and with mother-in-law currently entering the throes of dementia at 74, the Government know exactly what they can do with my "official" retirement age of 68! Yes I could make life a bit more comfortable now instead but why? Am I really that bothered to be driving about in a 12 year old car & van rather than new ones, for example? No, not bothered at all.
Ditto currently 44 making large pension payments and planning to retire at 60 with the wife retiring at 59. Based on a projected 5% return on pension each year this plan is achievable

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Newbie to motorhomes but lots of classic VW and camping experience
They seem like lovely people from my online chats with them and I haven't found a more comprehensive web site than theirs in terms of links to pretty much everywhere you can think of going in Europe where they have not only been but have also taken pics, done a little review and posted GPS coordinates of both free and paid for places to stay - see here (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back