Baz has arrived but I have questions (2 Viewers)

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Been out this morning to pick up baz. :clap2:
20140921_192829.jpg

He's not perfect (hole in the grey water tank20140921_104424.jpg , hole in the exhaust and a few minor brake issues) but he's all ours. Managed to work out how the hot water, heating and toilet works so far but have a few questions.
The first of which is about the water heater. There's an on and off switch but no thermostat. Should there be one or will it just cut out at a preset temperature?
20140921_200252.jpg

I've just about figured out the Zig SP7 controller but how does the leisure battery get charged up? The instructions mention nothing about this?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the obvious bits are pretty straight forward, as in the old carver cascade has a built in thermostat. cuts off about 60*
battery charges from the alternator, and iff fitted by the on board charger. set the switch to caravan to charge leisure battery and the car for van battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Yay...hope you have lots of fun with Baz.
Sorry, Can't help with your Q's as we only picked ours up yesterday!

Upvote 0

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Hi To you and Baz, water temp is automatic in built thermostat and leisure battery while driving is charged through a relay and when on mains through an in built charger poss in wardrobe or under seating

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
oh forgot to say, light the fire and let it warm up before putting on the circulating fan. the water tank looks like the drain off fitting rusted out the bottom of the tank. long term better to fit a replacement plastic tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
the water tank looks like the drain off fitting rusted out the bottom of the tank. long term better to fit a replacement plastic tank
The fittings are all still in place on the side of the tank. It looks like it's just the bottom that's rotted out. Plan A is to cut out the bottom and hopefully attach a new one. If I cut it open and the rest is a mess it'll have to be a new tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the help so far.
Another quick question. I've got a 6kg Calor gas cylinder. What size spanner do I need to buy?

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Been out this morning to pick up baz. :clap2:
View attachment 42500
He's not perfect (hole in the grey water tankView attachment 42501 , hole in the exhaust and a few minor brake issues) but he's all ours. Managed to work out how the hot water, heating and toilet works so far but have a few questions.
The first of which is about the water heater. There's an on and off switch but no thermostat. Should there be one or will it just cut out at a preset temperature?
View attachment 42502
I've just about figured out the Zig SP7 controller but how does the leisure battery get charged up? The instructions mention nothing about this?
The habitation battery should start charging, (if a charge is required), as soon as you plug into the mains. The ZIG's were a bit notorious with failing battery charger faults, as I learned to my cost with a Romahome some years ago. Here's a list of ZIG downloadable manuals.

http://www.freewebs.com/12voltsdc/zigmanuals.htm

Take a voltage reading with an AVO, or multi-meter. Plug in the mains. Is there any increase in voltage?? If so, your charger is working. If the ZIG charger fails, you can always add a suitable seperate battery charger to the circuit.

Nice van. I have the Hymer version.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
gas spanners are a standard size regardless of cylinder size

not sure what size exactly but big 20mm +

or use large adjustable

alternatively get a hose with a wheel on end, hand tight only, no spanner needed

(y)

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
as mentioned, gas regulator spanners are universal size. given the age of the van, its pre bulkhead regulator, so standard tails wont fit. i carry a 12inch adjustable in my toolkit as it does multiple jobs and fits all the new and old gas connections

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Found a wet bit in Baz tonight (n)
Seems that the roof rails hadn't been sealed to the roof right and had let some water in. I've had to strip out a high level cupboard and peel back some panels to let it dry out. Everything is damp but it looks like I've caught it before too much damage was done. Needless to say I've had the roof rails off and have refitted them with the help of a little sikaflex.
Once it's dry I'll be treating all the timber for rot and then sticking it all back in place.
Let's hope there's no more hidden surprises when it goes in for a service next week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Finally started putting Baz back together today. The ceiling is back up along with the high cupboard.
Also figured out the battery charges off the mains when plugged in. Giving it a full charge and then going the hammer it to see how long the battery lasts and whether it needs replacing.
I've done a fix on the waste tank. Couldn't save the original but had a central heating header tank kicking about that has now been converted to be our new waste. Quite happy with the results and it's saved me £100 on a new one which I can now spend on something else.
LED lights are on there way so that'll probably be the next job and the other half has ordered foam and fabric to make new seat cushions.
I though having a MoHo would be relaxing but I've not stopped since we picked him up :snooze::snooze:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Had our first night away at the cc site near Carsington water on Saturday. Lovely site with helpful wardens. We learnt so much in 24 hours and now have a shopping list to fulfil before the next trip.
Only downside was Baz's refusal to start Sunday morning. Had to get a jump start and then had an eventful journey home with the electrics going haywire.
I've got a new battery, ignition coil and distributor cap to fit tonight which will hopefully get Baz back on the road.
Even with the challenging drive home we both had big stupid grins on our faces and the kids are desperate to go away again.:clap2:

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Enjoy your new van I get satisfaction from fixing things hope you do too. You have the winter to get it how you want for as fantastic new year ahead have fun keep posting

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
So the latest update is that I've replaced the disi cap, rotor arm and ignition coil. This made no difference but changing the ignition controller has got Baz running again.
The next challenge was to replace the alternator as it's only supplying 2 volts :(
The problem is the long bolt is seized in place. My mechanic bro is coming over on Sunday to help me sort it so in the meantime I've moved in doors.
My wife has got new foam and made new cushions
20141009_210005.jpg

I've also fitted LED lights along the curtain pelmet and under the kitchen units. I can't believe how bright they are. It's amazing. I've got some leftover bits so am going to add lights in the wardrobe and convert the strip lights and bulbs too.
Still lots of jobs to do and the alternator to tackle but we'll hopefully be set for a trip away at half term.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Start spraying the seized bolt with WD40 now......it will make it so much easier to free it on Sunday.
Last thing you need is a sheared bolt in the bracket.
Been spraying it since Tuesday and it's not making any difference:(
Having a go with a blow torch on Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Taken the alternative approach and have now taken off the alternator along with the water pump housing to which it was bolted. The alternator bolt is seized solid so we were looking at drilling it out but had 2 more bolts snap off while disconnecting the water pump from the engine mount. Hoping to find a reasonably priced replacement and to put the whole thing back together next weekend.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back