Bay of biscay (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi guys/gals when is the "best" time of year to cross the bay , don't fancy huge waves or being to sea sick , thinking of Sept /Oct depending on ferry costs ,looking forward to your views thanks.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Hi guys/gals when is the "best" time of year to cross the bay , don't fancy huge waves or being to sea sick , thinking of Sept /Oct depending on ferry costs ,looking forward to your views thanks.
Worse time and terrible if full moon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi pelican, don't believe in werewolves and zombies but get your drift?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We went in March 2018 setting off when the Beast from the East was upon us here, digging out our van from the snow in drive. Like a millpond both ways.!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Heh live life to the full if corona virus don’t get you the the Bay will? go for it, take a chance another story to tell the grandchildren.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Having sailed across it in a small boat, I would echo the views above about looking ahead at possible weather windows if you’re concerned. If there’s a lovely high over the Azores giving settled conditions for a week or so, then the ‘fetch’ across the bay will be far more forgiving and the conditions are likely to be more benign. Biscsy’s topography sees deep waters being driven up against the continental shelf relatively quickly, so any swell can be amplified accordingly.

The saving grace if you’re crossing it in a modern ferry is that these vessels are incredibly well stabilised. It can be rough as rats and you’ll really not notice anything much. Take some Kwells or other hyoscine-based medication, get a cabin and lie flat if you’re beginning to feel queasy, but I’m sure you’ll be fine. Enjoy!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have done it about 8 times at different times of the year.

Only once was it really rough. My wife and daughter were both sick, and whilst I wasn’t I did leave a pint in the bar I couldn’t face drinking.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its all down to luck..I have only had one bad crossing out of about 20 and use it at different times of year,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have done it about 8 times at different times of the year.

Only once was it really rough. My wife and daughter were both sick, and whilst I wasn’t I did leave a pint in the bar I couldn’t face drinking.
It wasnt that rough if you could walk to the bar,,BUSBY :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Been back and forward across the Bay about 18 times in the last 8 years only two crossings were what I would call really rough
Mos of our crossings were on the Cap Finistere which IMO handles bad weather pretty well
The one really bad crossing we did have was on the economy boat the Baie de Seine which was awful as it pitches from side to side badly in stormy conditions

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve travelled a few times including when it’s been very rough but have only been on the Pont Aven or Cap Finistere. We have been fine but we have decided we would not want to go on one of the Economie vessels. If you are not good sailors I would not risk any long crossing as you have to get off and drive potentially feeling dreadful. It seems daft.
The Bay of Biscay can be dreadful even in the Summer, why risk it if you are already worried.

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
We got into Portsmouth on the Cap Finistere from Bilbao last Wednesday 4/3/20, we cancelled Eurostar return to give us a few more days in sunny Spain and see what the ferry was like. All I will say is never ever EVER again it was rough, feeling to us like the worse fairground ride in the world that you couldn't get off, we both felt ill not being sick just feeling horrible all we could do was lay on the bed close our eyes and try and think happy thoughts.

We wont be getting on anything that floats on water ever again that includes a pedal boat

Deleted User
Came back 2 weeks ago and for the first 12 hours it was the big dipper. Spent most of this time laying down because I would have fallen down anyway.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Pick your crossing so the time in the Biscay is when you will be asleep. ie: arrive in Spain in the morning.

Ask for a cabin towards the back end of the ship. They don't seem to jump up and down as much as the pointy end.

They do all they can to make the crossing in the Biscay as short and as pleasant as possible.

We have had some rough crossings and they have either gone further out to sea where the waves are not quite so steep or put the pedal to the metal and belted across the rough bit flat out.

I usually just take to my bed and sleep through it.

Sea sickness for me is an odd sensation. Once I hit dry land all feelings of nausea instantly disappear. (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The "Mal du Mare". Comforting Though?. The great Admiral Horatio Nelson was Sea Sick first day out all his seagoing life. Just think you are in Great Company!. (y)
If you are that way inclined, there is no real cure, We just Puked, and got on with working, try changing a Piston in a force 8 SW of Brest, I ton of Steel swinging in the air with Half a dozen sailors trying to control it. after a day or so you did not notice it. Modern vessels, are better stabilised and less issue. Cheer up, worse thing happen at sea!.:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back