LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I'm sitting on it now somewhere near Portsmouth. Bad weather was expected last night but it turned out a very calm crossing so no missed meals.

Just been touring the Pyrenees for a week on motorbikes.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good that part of your journey is over, hopefully all plain sailing now. (y)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We're on the Cap Finistere from Portsmouth to Bilbao next Sunday - the 2 night crossing. Got everything crossed for a smooth crossing! I can get sick on a narrow boat tied to to a canal mooring!!! Lots of Stugeron and alcohol usually helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our last Bay of Biscay crossing was a touch rough but otherwise has always been smooth.

Have a great time (y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We're on the Cap Finistere from Portsmouth to Bilbao next Sunday - the 2 night crossing. Got everything crossed for a smooth crossing! I can get sick on a narrow boat tied to to a canal mooring!!! Lots of Stugeron and alcohol usually helps
Will keep my fingers crossed for a smooth crossing for you Marie. Where are you heading to?

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Salamanca looks best from the South,so look behind you as you
depart.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We feel sorry for poor Katie too, as we're not really sea going travellers either. :(

If we ever do get away to sunnier climes for winter, it'll be the long drive down for us. (y)

Have a great time The Broons. :)

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :)

Reactions: Jim

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
BBC 1 News and Weather this morning have the ex USA hurricane heading into the BofB by Sunday. Looks like it could be unsettled weather ahead :(

Apparently its downgraded from a full hurricane to an ex-hurricane, whatever that actually means, but it's still meant to be hitting the Bay by Sunday....

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
we have done the crossing several times maria was sick once in the bathroom of the cabin after drinking red wine looked like a scene out of psycho. have a good holiday

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
With sailing as a hobby and having spent 24 short but colourful years in the Navy I'm not too worried about seasickness in rough weather - what I am worried about is damage to the MoHo!!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
A 25ft swell made for an uncomfortable crossing on Sunday night. A couple of bottles of red, smoothed the bumps out for me and Siân, but little Katie felt each one, bless her. Arriving in Santander very late, the Captain apologised for the 'unkind water" and wished for better on our return. Landing very late and then for some reason being locked in the port for an hour meant we got to Salamanca last night just before it got dark.

The wind picked up and the RV has been doing it's best boat impression all night. Though Katie has slept through, maybe she snuck some wine with her supper. The plan is to make the short hop to Portugal after lunch.

The Bay of Biscay for us is always mirror smooth or horrendous, seems it has no in-betweens. :)

On the two occasions we have cruised to South Africa, the Bay of Biscay has done for me each time. Thank god for sea sick pills!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
have crossed the bay many times on board drill ships and semi submersible drilling units had some scary crossings in winter and summer
bill

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Christmas 2012 we decided to cruise from Southampton to avoid the disgraceful queues at the airport for our usual Caribbean Cruise, the problem was we had to enter our 21 night European route via Biscay. Jackie is a great sailor and could go below in a force 8 on our 35' yacht and prepare food for us all, but on big ships I feared for her well being.

Flat Calm both there and back, what are the chances of that? I have told her we dare not attempt it again as fate dictates we'd have a rough crossing.

Have a great break Jim.......When do we see you next?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
On the old "Rakia" She was an old Cadet training ship, when the Company stopped training she became a Cargo/ Passenger, allowed to carry 13 passengers 14 if one was a Doctor.

Some skite took boots dipped them in paint, and started on the deck (floor) up the baulkhead (wall) across the deckhead (ceiling) and down the baulkhead the opposite side then back to the deck.
When asked if it ever got rough at sea by the passengers as they came aboard, we pointed at the bootprints and just raised our eyes

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Will keep my fingers crossed for a smooth crossing for you Marie. Where are you heading to?

Thanks Sandra . We're off to our usual spot in Zahora. Need a rest after 5 frantic months in UK!
BBC 1 News and Weather this morning have the ex USA hurricane heading into the BofB by Sunday. Looks like it could be unsettled weather ahead :(

Apparently its downgraded from a full hurricane to an ex-hurricane, whatever that actually means, but it's still meant to be hitting the Bay by Sunday....

We don't leave Portsmouth till Sunday night and even then only go as far as Roscoff. Hopefully by the time we hit Biscay it will have fizzled out a bit . Fingers, toes and eyes crossed! We've done well over the past few years and the sea has been very calm - guess we are overdue a rough one!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We don't leave Portsmouth till Sunday night and even then only go as far as Roscoff. Hopefully by the time we hit Biscay it will have fizzled out a bit . Fingers, toes and eyes crossed! We've done well over the past few years and the sea has been very calm - guess we are overdue a rough one!
Think it'll be over by the time you arrive. Good luck, safe journey and keep us posted :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I was on a diving support vessel in the north Sea , we were heading back out to the oil fields in a force 10 ,I got thrown out of my bunk by the motion so I went up to the galley and had a coffee and a sandwich, the guy next to me was eating ice cream and I was not feeling ill in anyway until he threw up all over me ,that's the only time I've been sea sick

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Anybody know if vans are tied down on this crossing when it gets rough????? Had that happen on the DFDS amsterdam route and they damaged the ally sides on my previous van.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I have never seen cars, caravans or MoHos tied down - often seen trucks chained down though

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Was part of a diving team doing a sea bed survey and we found a steam engine on the bottom of the north Sea, it had been chained down on deck , did not do it much good though:D

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
mirror smooth is freaky in the bay. Only been through it once when in the Navy when it was like that and everyone one board was on edge

No noise anywhere just the bow waves noise on the hull...not even engine noise

Next time was a freak storm and ripped a load of stuff off the upper deck...much prefer the latter!
Like you I went through the 'Bay" a good few times when I was in the Navy. Can't remember it ever being calm. Did the old'five finger spread' just about each time. Think I have left the contents of my stomach in most oceans round the world though

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I shouldn't tempt the gods in saying this, but in many years of ferry crossings (usually to St Malo but twice to Spain) we have always had smooth seas and the last crossing from Roscoff back to Plymouth last month was flat calm. Gary

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I shouldn't tempt the gods in saying this, but in many years of ferry crossings (usually to St Malo but twice to Spain) we have always had smooth seas and the last crossing from Roscoff back to Plymouth last month was flat calm. Gary

That's you completely screwed now :rolleyes:.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The tail end of the hurrican,is bringing a bit of rain into N/Portugal Sat/Sun.according to Yr.no weather forecast and sneaky me looking at Portugal on BBC weather slot after the 22.00hrs News. Have a good trip,which way are you going?
Tea Bag.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Christmas 2012 we decided to cruise from Southampton to avoid the disgraceful queues at the airport for our usual Caribbean Cruise, the problem was we had to enter our 21 night European route via Biscay. Jackie is a great sailor and could go below in a force 8 on our 35' yacht and prepare food for us all, but on big ships I feared for her well being.

Flat Calm both there and back, what are the chances of that? I have told her we dare not attempt it again as fate dictates we'd have a rough crossing.

Have a great break Jim.......When do we see you next?
12 crossings in winter through The Bay and only one rough one,,,lucky or what,,,BUSBY.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Once, during my seatime, we were struck by a Hurricane off the Phillipenes, we bounced about a bit till we got into the "Hurricane eye" where it was a bit calmer. The Skipper sent us on to the Foredeck to rig man lines and to check the lashings of a few containers we had lashed to the Foredeck.
We found, literally, thousands of birds, everywhere covered, all too knackered to even move out of our way, every step we took, we had to gently push the birds to the side with our feet.
It was a couple of days before we could venture out on to the foredeck again, and by then they were all gone.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sailing on the 20th so it had better have calmed down by then!!!:Smile:

Sailed back last May and it was rough then, the only time I have ever felt sea sick in my life!:crying:

:cooler:

I'm doing the Portsmouth to Bilbao on the 20th, so like you fingers crossed, a few beers before reaching the BoB should see me OK,

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back