battery (1 Viewer)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Your thoughts on this battery offered by oudoor bits http://*********************/elecsol-carbon-fibre-battery-p-714.html
sorry link does't work (Elecsol 110 Carbon Fibre Battery)

Are these batteries as good as they say, anyone using these carbon fibre batteries ?

Not sure i'd be happy to receive a battery should it be delivered in this condition !

Quote from outdoor bits re this battery.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If some of the electrolyte has leaked out during transit then top us as necessary as follows.
To open the cells use a small screwdriver and gently press up not applying too much pressure.
If any cell is slightly low customer can add small quantity of distilled water. There will be absolutely no detriment to the batteries performance if acid had come out with carrier.
The battery requires no venting at all as the gases are recombined within the valve walls internally.[/FONT]

Regarrds

Last edited by a moderator:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I bought a second hand (under one year old) one some years ago at great expense and it worked ok for a bit and then lost a cell. I replaced it with an ordinary leisure battery for a third to a quarter of the price and it worked fine but eventually lost a cell. Therefore, in my experience, the only difference was in price! I was told that the Electrosol would crank start my engine without damage because of its carbon thingies but as I naver had to do this I can't comment either way.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Switched to Elecsol batteries last December. So far they seem pretty good. I was comparing them with Exide Gel that were fitted as original equipment and against that standard, they were very reasonably priced - the gels would have been over £200 each.

I have 2 x 110 Ah Elecsols which coped perfectly well with 2 nights in freezing conditions at New Year - no EHU. As well as lights, I was running DVDs on a laptop and powered speakers for 3 hours each night and the Truma was running 24 hours a day so there was a fair current draw from the fan. We still had quite a bit of spare power left at the end.

New Elecsols use slightly different technology (Calcium) but still have carbon fibre plate strengthening. Mine have no sign of access to the electrolyte - they are sealed.

You get a five-year guarantee with them too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] There will be absolutely no detriment to the batteries performance if acid had come out with carrier.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The battery requires no venting at all as the gases are recombined within the valve walls internally.[/FONT]

Regarrds

If theirs no detriment to loosing acid why put it in, in the first place?
Lose enough and they won't be batteries anymore, just bl**dy heavy water tanks. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I bought a second hand (under one year old) one some years ago at great expense and it worked ok for a bit and then lost a cell. I replaced it with an ordinary leisure battery for a third to a quarter of the price and it worked fine but eventually lost a cell. Therefore, in my experience, the only difference was in price! I was told that the Electrosol would crank start my engine without damage because of its carbon thingies but as I naver had to do this I can't comment either way.

I've allways bought mid priced leisure batteries ;but their performance tends to drop off after a couple of years, just thought for a little more i could be better off in the long run?

Switched to Elecsol batteries last December. So far they seem pretty good. I was comparing them with Exide Gel that were fitted as original equipment and against that standard, they were very reasonably priced - the gels would have been over £200 each.

I have 2 x 110 Ah Elecsols which coped perfectly well with 2 nights in freezing conditions at New Year - no EHU. As well as lights, I was running DVDs on a laptop and powered speakers for 3 hours each night and the Truma was running 24 hours a day so there was a fair current draw from the fan. We still had quite a bit of spare power left at the end.

New Elecsols use slightly different technology (Calcium) but still have carbon fibre plate strengthening. Mine have no sign of access to the electrolyte - they are sealed.

The 5 yr guareantee goes a long way in temping me to go for the Elecsol, they say its maintenance free , more efficient , and don't suffer as much from continued charge and discharge and the ability to cold start engines.

Expect most batteries will claim to have various qualities ; but in practice ?

Thanks for your feedback

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
If theirs no detriment to loosing acid why put it in, in the first place?
Lose enough and they won't be batteries anymore, just bl**dy heavy water tanks. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Olley

exactly! i've sent them an email re: their quote if i do decide to buy this and it arrived in a damp packege, i will refuse to accept it. mind boggles at the statement:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can only reiterate what I have said in many posts.. imo , there is no cost or practical benefit in buying expensive batteries, lead acid technology is as old as the hills and hasn't changed in any significant way .. the five year warranty doesn't mean it's a better battery, it just means you are paying a premium to cover any failures..

My four cheap 85ah FLAs have been in constant use for almost four years, three of them fulltiming, if they fail now I will still be in pocket as they cost less than half of a 'superior' battery.

Remember..

Most batteries don't die.. they are murdered ..

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I can only reiterate what I have said in many posts.. imo , there is no cost or practical benefit in buying expensive batteries, lead acid technology is as old as the hills and hasn't changed in any significant way .. the five year warranty doesn't mean it's a better battery, it just means you are paying a premium to cover any failures..

My four cheap 85ah FLAs have been in constant use for almost four years, three of them fulltiming, if they fail now I will still be in pocket as they cost less than half of a 'superior' battery.

You could be right and maybe you have been lucky with your 85AH batteries ,
I have allways bought the normal lead acid batteries mainly because i had a battery bank of 5x 110AH so it was an expense to do otherwise, and even with an expensive battery management they would only last max 3yrs.

The battery i'm thinking of is approx half as much again, I do believe batteries have improved over the years.

If i do decide on this battery and it fails after say 3yrs then it will be replaced by a new battery with another 5 yr guarentee which would make it cheaper.

Regards

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have allways bought the normal lead acid batteries mainly because i had a battery bank of 5x 110AH so it was an expense to do otherwise, and even with an expensive battery management they would only last max 3yrs.

The battery i'm thinking of is approx half as much again, I do believe batteries have improved over the years.

If i do decide on this battery and it fails after say 3yrs then it will be replaced by a new battery with another 5 yr guarentee which would make it cheaper.

Regards
It most certainly will NOT, at best you will get the remaing two years on your replacements, and at worst you may be asked to contribute aprox hlaf price toward the new relacments if you want extended gaurantee back to 5 years
I have to agree with Jim on this one
using your logic you could have batteries for life:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Quote from outdoor bits re this battery.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If some of the electrolyte has leaked out during transit then top us as necessary as follows. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To open the cells use a small screwdriver and gently press up not applying too much pressure.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If any cell is slightly low customer can add small quantity of distilled water. There will be absolutely no detriment to the batteries performance if acid had come out with carrier.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The battery requires no venting at all as the gases are recombined within the valve walls internally.[/FONT]

Regarrds

Quote from Elecsol site

Please Note: The major UK couriers have ruled that they will no longer carry “dangerous” goods such as batteries as they have a tendency to be tipped over during carriage, pouring acid over other packages; this has resulted in a delivery service being set up by the manufacturer Elecsol who will deliver the battery direcly on receipt of an order.

Because of the logistical problems inherent in such a service, delivery of Elecsol Batteries could take up to a couple of weeks. Elecsol Batteries will be delivered separately from any other items ordered.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
In my experience from both boats ans Mh's the best value for pounds/watts is to by bog standared large cranking batterys, true they dont last as long as all the fancy ones but the pound goes further, ie for the same money you can buy 2 or 3 cranking batterys for the price of a rip off gel cell one.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Regards

Before committing to buying an Elecsol .. read here .

Link Removed

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
It most certainly will NOT, at best you will get the remaing two years on your replacements, and at worst you may be asked to contribute aprox hlaf price toward the new relacments if you want extended gaurantee back to 5 years
I have to agree with Jim on this one
using your logic you could have batteries for life:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Maybe that is the case with the maufacturers ?;however even if you are right it still guarentees these batteries for 5yrs instead of 2 yrs. Doing my sums it still represents better value than the standard battery.

Regards

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp

Try claiming. I believe it may be a problem:Eeek:

Warranty begins at the date of the purchase of the first battery and ends 5 years later. If the battery failed at say 3 years, a replacement one would only have the unused balance of the original 5 year warranty. Or should have:winky:

If a battery is going to fail under NORMAL usage. i.e. NOT mis-used it would normally fail within the first 3 months.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Before committing to buying an Elecsol .. read here .

Link Removed

Thanks for the link , does initially put you off with the poor service thread ; however, reading the whole thread Elescol did replace his battery and did appologise and give assurances that this was not the norm, other have commented that they have no problem with these batteries ,and one guy has had one for 7yrs.

I think with any company that sells a huge amount of products are bound to receive some complaints , something I'll have to weigh up ( more googling i think).

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back