Tufty01

Free Member
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi funsters, I'm having trouble keeping my battery topped up (engine) I've tried charging with a battery charger via Jump start points, connecting directly to the battery (just taking the negative lead off battery) Also, connected a solar panel to both jump start points and directly to battery without any joy.

It's starts no problem with a jump start though! puzzled to say the least. Any advise appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Opps............. it's a Elddis Majesic 120 (Peugeot Boxer Van)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Start with the obvious... Buy a new battery, (y)
You dont state how old the van is, how old the battery is, if you bought van new or used. All those things can be factors.
So unless you know you have an almost new van or battery and suspect a problem elsewhere, bite the bullet and splash out on the battery.

Good luck..

OP
OP
Tufty01

Tufty01

Free Member
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Tonka, Yeah, it's a 2016 so I suppose the battery is pretty new!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you leave it on charge overnight and it still won't start the engine your battery is almost certainly goosed. You could ask a garage to test it for you if you wanted to confirm.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
It's all too easy for a battery to be damaged by excess discharge. You might be lucky and get away with it a couple of times, especially if it is recharged in a short time after the flattening. Recondition chargers may help too. But a lot can have happened with a 2016 battery, including neglect on a dealer's forecourt. If it's not holding a decent charge (it may show full voltage for an hour or so after a long run, but then that voltage drops even without a draw from something), time for a new battery.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Measure the voltage after a good charge and ask someone to watch the reading when you try and start?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back