BATTERY (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
I have a new autocruise rhythm on a fiat Ducato The battery only lasts about 5 days before it is completely dead, was all o/k during the summer, is this the norm?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Whichever battery you're referring to, if it constantly dies completely its had it.
Repeatedly discharging below 11v has killed it.
Time to buy a new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are talking about the habitation battery and running it to "completely dead" you are not doing it any favours, as irnbru says above we need to know which battery/batteries, what size, what are you running and do you have solar.

Martin

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
why does it matter which battery it is.....it's been fully discharged for so long it's buggered regardless.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
It is the main battery that was supplied with the vehicle, new, in March 2017. The leisure battery is all O/K.So far covered 2500 miles.
Have had the AA out twice and on the last occasion I took the MH back to Fiat who did a thorough diagnostic check and said that all was O/K.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I took the MH back to Fiat who did a thorough diagnostic check and said that all was O/K.
You mean it started for them so it must be ok....or am I being sceptical.

My car sometimes increases revs to 2000 to 3000rpm during a gear change but as it doesn't do it when they test drive they insist there's nothing wrong.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
You mean it started for them so it must be ok....or am I being sceptical.

Sceptical or not your not being much help.

Always pleased to learn something so any sensible replies appreciated

Just phoned the Fiat dealer who is happy for me to get the AA to start the MH then book it in for another test, this time I shall leave it with them for a week.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sceptical or not your not being much help.

Always pleased to learn something so any sensible replies appreciated

Just phoned the Fiat dealer who is happy for me to get the AA to start the MH then book it in for another test, this time I shall leave it with them for a week.
If it is new then you have Fiat assistance. When it dies next ring them up & tell them to come & get it.Failing that just get them to recover it to the Fiat dealer complete with flat battery.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sounds like something is draining it

My mum's car was doing something similar to this.....after much iinvestigation I found the light in the boot was not going off
Completely flat in 3 days

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Had similar problems with our Autocruise Rythm engine battery come the winter, only had to leave it for a few days an it was caput - would not turn over ! Peugeot replaced it under warranty after checking it, but that was only one of the problems we had with that van (brand new straight out the showroom with 0 miles)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Whoops! You need to get up to speed with Leisure batteries or your going to have some pain. Recommend you read this.
https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...nicalhelp/datasheets/guide-leisure-batteries/
Very interesting read, Thank you.

Will be interesting when it goes back to fiat as the only job that has been done on the MH is the tank insulation and electric probes that stop both water tanks from freezing, normally I would not be too worried but as the job was done by Marquise of Poole with whom I have had nothing but trouble I shall wait and see.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Was the van used as a forecourt "demonstrator"? A friend bought a "new" van at a discount because it had been used as a demonstrator. The engine battery died on his very first trip and had to be replaced. Seems whenever the dealer needed to start it, they just jump-started it.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH had a Fiat battery in it when I got it (its Mercedes). My theory is that the dealers take out the batteries when the MHs are on their forecourt to avoid them going flat, and when they sell one they just put in the first suitable battery that comes to hand, so a new motorhome could have an old battery in it.

Upvote 0

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
If your Moho is new, ie within 12 months from date of purchase, it should have a Manufactures warranty on all parts including both batteries. If this is true, go back to either a local dealer or the dealer whome purchased from, show them the invoice you were given to prove purchase date and request they change the battery and find the reason behind the problem.

All the best

Flook

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
All good sound advice, the MH goes into Fiat under warranty in the new year and I will be demanding exactly what is advised on this site.

As I wrote previously the dealer, Marquise of Poole are the only company who have worked on the vehicle and that was a mighty C-ck-up, so much so that Swift caught the workshop out as liars when they said that they had fitted a recommended part and they had not. this involved electrics!!!!!

I will keep you all informed as by now you realise that I believe strongly in NAME AND SHAME, we pay a lot of money for these machines and do not deserve to be treated like leper's (apologies to any lepers amongst you)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
After the Too-ing and Froo-ing to Marquise, I engaged Swift to sort out their company (Marquise) the lady in customer services was excellent and when she was lied to by the service department of marquise the Director of Marquise was summoned to sort this out.

What actually happened was that the service department ordered a non swift approved tank warming system that was cheaper than Swifts, they fitted the same and when I asked for the paper work so that I had a record of what was fitted the lies just continued to mount. Following this the main and leisure battery kept draining within a 48 hour period. I am never beaten so went back to Marquise who by now had had a change of staff and manager at the Poole workshops, this time I met Robert who was fantastic, he solved the problem and when I went to collect the MH he explained how the anti freezing part of this system works. Main thing to remember if you have one fitted is that the system takes 4 amps when running, even when the MH is not being used so if you are not on EHU dead battery.

I have had the MH back for the last week and even in the artic weather we have suffered the system worked.

Sorry I have not replied earlier.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back