Battery warranty thoughts ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I bought a new Varta heavy duty battery for our Peugeot van in May 2016 so not yet two years old.
It has failed ...... I charged it last and would not start the engine. I do hook it up and charge it monthly.
To be honest the van has had very little use so I suppose that’s the cause of the battery giving up. Or is ? Can we or should we expect better ?

Opinion please on whether I should raise a warranty claim ?

Problem is I bought it off EBay after following a link on this forum so maybe the cost of sending it back would mean it’s hardly worth it ?

As always thanks !!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'd make a claim on the warranty, they'd probably just send you a new battery & not require the old one to be sent back or at worst get the courier who delivers a new battery to take it back.
I mean what's the worst thing they can say? No perhaps?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I'd make a claim on the warranty, they'd probably just send you a new battery & not require the old one to be sent back or at worst get the courier who delivers a new battery to take it back.
I mean what's the worst thing they can say? No perhaps?

Good point. I will mail the supplier and see what they say.

One of my points is is it fair to expect it to be replaced given the vehicles low use ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As previously said contacxt the supplier even if they say that it isn't covered perhaps they will offer a discount off a new one

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Most battery guarantees are worthless, because they will claim it was not treated properly and you can’t prove otherwise.

But good luck anyway. :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
To be honest the van has had very little use so I suppose that’s the cause of the battery giving up.
That would cause premature failure if the battery was allowed to flatten for extended periods, but you are saying you are sure its been kept charged and well topped up..
If thats the case id definitely be at least trying to claim it failed prematurely...
You dont say what the initial warrenty on it was..
If your sure of your case put it to the seller and see what they have to say..
Andy

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
One of my points is is it fair to expect it to be replaced given the vehicles low use ?

I don't think the low usage should have any bearing on the warranty & you've kept the battery in good condition.
You still have rights under the consumers regulations, you have a right to the battery giving you decent service & you bought it in good faith.
After all you were drawn to that particular battery by the fact that it carried a three year warranty.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It did need to be kept Float charged all the time to keep it going for two years or it will drop right off with sulphation sometime a s soon as a year. Battery warranty tends to be a sliding scale over the gurantee life droppin off in value the older it gets after two years worth maximum of 25-30 % sometime even less

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
A lot of years ago, before the interweb and ebay etc, the car was having trouble starting so I took it into Charlie Browns for a 'free battery check'.
Sure enough the bloke says it needs a new one - I whipped out my 2 year 11 month old receipt and they fitted me a new one for nowt.

That doesn't happen very often!!!

Always worth asking....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i bought a starter battery for my navara on ebay, dead within 4 months. they used every trick in the book to avoid a warranty claim including asking me to do something dangerous to force a charge in. jump leads to another vehicle and connect a charger whilst its running

anyway, i had the rac out who did a test and gave me a report that the battery was faulty. forwarded that to the seller and they refunded me

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With a starter battery shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced under warranty as if you return it they will do a CCA test on it which I would expect it to fail.
Lesiure batteries are a different story as they often pass the high liad current CCA test but are useless for low drain leisure use.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
A couple of points, I brought a starter battery from halfrauds, says on the battery “5 year guarantee” it went after about 3 years, went back to halfrauds, asked him to check the battery, he said a cell was duff, changed it straight away AND gave me a new receipt, so alls we’ll that ends well.

With batteries they MUST be kept charged up, especially during cold/freezing spells, the cold kills them quicker than anything

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have to get the battery tested and a printout from the test machine and the supplier will change the battery for a new one no question. They are only 20 miles from home so I will collect the new one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back