Battery warning light. (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
Over the past couple of months I have been starting up the engine of my Swift/Ducato to keep things loose. Hooked up to mains, so Sargent charger should be on all the time. Plenty of juice to turn over and start. Leave idling for a minute or so. Habitation control panel showing green charging lamps flashing as usual. If I leave it for 2 minutes, the red battery "warning" light on the dash comes on, and the habitation control panel lights stop flashing. On other occasions, if I rev up the engine the warning light comes on and the hab lights go off. The manual says that the red light indicates a charging problem - presumably relating to the alternator - and to contact dealer. I have repeated the exercise with the mains disconnected, but with the same results. The battery is about 5 years old, and my suspicion is that it is no longer accepting a full charge - which makes the "system" think it is the fault of the alternator.
I would appreciate your thoughts before sending the van in to the workshop.
Thanks.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Looks like your Hook up is keeping the cab battery charged and when you start up the Alternator takes over from the Mains charger and supplies power to battery. (Does on mine). I think your right about the alternator being faulty and a quick check with a multi-meter will confirm one way or other.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree - sounds more like the alternator than the battery. When mine failed (on our way out to Morocco, fortunately still in the UK) the light stayed off until I gave it some revs.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It is possible to change the brushes and regulator in situ. Search eBay for the kit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you keep starting and running for only a minute or 2 you will eventually damage the engine the oil doesn’t have enough time to get around the engine and most wear happens at start and you normally need a couple of miles to put the charge back into a battery

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Remove EHU. Start engine and put meter across battery terminals. You should see around 14 to14.4 volts. If so, alternator is ok.
If ok then probably battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back