Battery upgrade (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It has been mentioned on other sites with a dealer in EBLs being quoted as saying they fail because people fit too much battery capacity. Considering their cost it does concern me as I am thinking of adding more battery capacity.
Now I have only been on this site for just over 2 years, but have never read anything like before. Whereas I have heard of several failures of Sergeant units on here. Seems this might be considered to be "anecdotal". As far as European motorhomes are concerned the Schaudts seem to be by far the most popular, so there are plenty out there

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It has been mentioned on other sites with a dealer in EBLs being quoted as saying they fail because people fit too much battery capacity. Considering their cost it does concern me as I am thinking of adding more battery capacity.

You are probably referring to information on the A&N website (they sell and repair EBLs). It is true that they say an EBL can fail if it is continually charging too large a battery bank. They also say that 'Schaudt units are reliable and well made'. And they say that nearly all the problems they see are due to people using batteries that are past their best. Nothing to do with an inherent weakness in the Schaudt EBL.
If you read back through this thread, you will see that we have discussed the matter of battery bank size and provided you do not exceed 200 Ah you should have no problems. If you want a larger battery bank (say 300 - 400 Ah) there is an additional Schaudt charging module (LAS1218) that plugs into the existing EBL. It will cost you around £160 and halve your charging time. Also reducing the 'strain' on the single EBL.

OP
OP
kelv

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Just an update for any one who wishs to add an additional battery to a hymer motorhome fitted with a EBL29 charging unit Udo is back of holiday and sent this reply..

On 29 Jul 2015, at 09:08, Lang, Udo <Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de> wrote:
Dear Customer ,
thank you for your mail.
The best is to use a lead-acid or gel battery on the EBL.
The EBL is good for batteries between 55 and 200Ah.

Subject: AW: AW: Schaudt GmbH, technische Anfrage via Homepage
Dear Kelvin,
please calculate just the leisure battery!
Best Regards
Udo.
So I can now go ahead and fit 2 x 85ah batteries and be within parameters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I also had a reply to the question can an EBL226 support 2x125ah as it is being bandied about that it can only support a maximum of 200ah
His reply was that it will be fine as long as it is on mains for a full 24hrs once a month (read that as continuosly) to ensure a full charge,

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Just an update for any one who wishs to add an additional battery to a hymer motorhome fitted with a EBL29 charging unit Udo is back of holiday and sent this reply..

Dear Customer ,
thank you for your mail.

Subject: AW: AW: Schaudt GmbH, technische Anfrage via Homepage
Dear Kelvin,
please calculate just the leisure battery!
Best Regards
Udo.
So I can now go ahead and fit 2 x 85ah batteries and be within parameters.

If they state it can handle up to 200Ah then fit 200Ah - why fit smaller! - more battery amps = more power.................................... providing you have the room to fit them of course.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
That Andy is of course the trick "FULL CHARGE"........... so many MH owners do not understand difference between "top up" and "Full Charge"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
kelv

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I also had a reply to the question can an EBL226 support 2x125ah as it is being bandied about that it can only support a maximum of 200ah
His reply was that it will be fine as long as it is on mains for a full 24hrs once a month (read that as continuosly) to ensure a full charge,
Hi Techno
if Udo says it is ok it should be fine please see email he sent me
Dear Customer ,
thank you for your mail.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Dear Andy,

I think this would be no problem, when the customer will stay with the camper once a month for 24hrs. on the mains, to be sure to have fully charged batteries.

Best Regards
Udo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back