Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Hi i have a 2001 swift gazelle and think i have a problem with my battery charger / tranformer on 240v hook up .
i have a 3 way switch which gives power to the lights if its switched onto the cab or liesure battery ,should this work on 240v to give power to the lights
if the switch is in the centre which is off ? Or should it be switched onto one of the batterys,
i have checked the out put on the charger and its reading 13.2v so im thinking it could be the tranformer ,
thanks chris

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The lights will only be 12 volt so they work just the same whether on hook up or not, the hookup just charges your battery and powers the normal 240 sockets

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I dint know this make specifically but they can be wired in a variety of ways. My 12 v works when the mains is connected regardless of what I do with the rocker switch.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi i have a 2001 swift gazelle and think i have a problem with my battery charger / tranformer on 240v hook up .
i have a 3 way switch which gives power to the lights if its switched onto the cab or liesure battery ,should this work on 240v to give power to the lights
if the switch is in the centre which is off ? Or should it be switched onto one of the batterys,
i have checked the out put on the charger and its reading 13.2v so im thinking it could be the tranformer ,
thanks chris

Hi Chris. I have the same model van (Elle). As previously said all lights are 12 v so switching the charging supply which is what you are doing will make no difference, having said that if your battery is flat then switching to mains supply should make the 12v lights work from the incoming supply provided you are connected to a mains source...Hope that makes sence.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Chris.
We also have a Swift Gazelle F61 like you. As has previously been said, all the internal lighting is on the 12v system so will always be off the habitation battery(s). The middle position on the three way switch turns off the charging source to the battery ( alternator and mains charger) but when switched to that middle position should give you lighting provided you have your mains cable connected to a 240v supply. Don't get caught out, if I have not been on mains for awhile I can get what looks to be a faulty supply when I turn the lights on, they flash intermittently, until the power has been on for a short while or I have switched the toggle to another position.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Interesting, I thought I had sent a response before I went out for half an hour, when I came back I could not see it, hence my second response....!!

OP
OP
xjrchris

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Thanks old solder
thats what i thought, the problem i have is when on hook up and the switch is in the middle the lights do no work ? I know they used to .
Does anyone know if there is a fuse hiding somewhere ? I have checked all the fuses in the small cupboard and they are all ok .
regards chris

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks old solder
thats what i thought, the problem i have is when on hook up and the switch is in the middle the lights do no work ? I know they used to .
Does anyone know if there is a fuse hiding somewhere ? I have checked all the fuses in the small cupboard and they are all ok .
regards chris

Chris. Have you checked the charger is switched on? If it's the same as mine, mounted in a small cupboard to the left of the fire there is no indication light and the small off/on rocker switch is on the top, far end, and difficult to see. When mine is turned off the lights in the van don't work when main three way switch is in central position....

OP
OP
xjrchris

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Yea have checked that its on , i put a amp meter on the 2 wires coming out and there is 13.7amps coming out of it ?
what i can't understand is how it changes to a tranformer when switch onto 240v.
Do your fire also work when you switch is level ie not on a battery?
Im hoping t here is a fuse somewhere but cant see one anywhere
regards Chris

OP
OP
xjrchris

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Well i found a thread on the Internet which someone else had the same problem, i found a blown fuse under the bonnet, changed it but still not working, the only thing now is to replace the relay which is in line with the charger, i think its a switch relay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back