LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Having read somewhere about someone being stuck abroad, unable to start their motorhome for a few days while a starter cable Powerval-CAL5 fuse was sourced when it blew, I thought it might be prudent to carry a couple along with spares for the other battery top fuses and a couple of key remote batteries just in case.

fuses.jpg

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Always carry a few spare fuses in the van and other vehicles. Had bit of a problem with electrics on this trip and thought OK probably a fuse. Located the under bonnet, battery top mounted fuse box on my 14 plate Peugeot Boxer, undid the retaining screws but cannot lift the lid as it does not clear other bits and pieces. Will wait until I get home before I try pulling a bit harder just in case I make it worse by breaking something with the usual strong arm tactics instead of knowledge based approach.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Your battery top mounted fuses should be mounted on the cab battery in the floor by the passengers feet.
If it's the fuse box under the bonnet next to the air filter housing that your talking about, then having taken off the 2 x 8mm nut, then lift up the cover for the positive jump start terminal vertical and give the cover a good waggle while lifting and it will come out without breaking anything off (famous last words :LOL:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I occasionally get stuff from my local scrapyard (driveshaft for son's van last week) and usually pick up a few fuses when I'm there. The lad on the counter never wants anything for them, couldn't tell you how much a new fuse costs.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Thanks for the @ ccc but the other half still says wait till we get home!

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Just in case anyone is searching for them, they are usually called MEGA and MIDI fuses.

The MEGA fuse and the Powerval-CAL fuse are different to each other and you should only use a Powerval-CAL fuse with the same number/colour on the starter cable as the original fitted.
The blade on the MEGA fuse is about 1mm thick and 2mm on the Powerval-CAL fuse.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Your battery top mounted fuses should be mounted on the cab battery in the floor by the passengers feet.
If it's the fuse box under the bonnet next to the air filter housing that your talking about, then having taken off the 2 x 8mm nut, then lift up the cover for the positive jump start terminal vertical and give the cover a good waggle while lifting and it will come out without breaking anything off (famous last words :LOL:)
My battery mounted fuses are on top of the battery under the bonnet.:D

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The MEGA fuse and the Powerval-CAL fuse are different to each other and you should only use a Powerval-CAL fuse with the same number/colour on the starter cable as the original fitted.
The blade on the MEGA fuse is about 1mm thick and 2mm on the Powerval-CAL fuse.
Yes, you're right. I've never heard of CAL fuses before, and they are probably difficult to get, especially away on holiday. Good idea to carry a spare.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Come on now, man up and show her who's boss ............. oh she already has done. :whistle::LOL:
Yep, that happened 40 odd years ago. I know my place and I know. Who is always right, I.e. Not me!

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The Powerval-CAL fuses range go from number 1 to number 5 and our van uses a 5.
The very reason that there not easy to find was why I decided to have a couple to hand if required.
A google search turned up a few suppliers that looked to be cheaper than the ones I got from an eBay seller but by the time you added VAT and carriage it was just easier to buy via eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=POWERVAL-CAL&_sacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back