Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
Measuring the charge in your leisure battery

To enable you to do this, you will need a digital multimeter. These are not expensive and small simple multimeters can usually be found for around £10 in electronic shops or big DIY stores. Set the multimeter scale to read 20 volts DC. With the 12 volt electrical system turned off, place the red lead on the positive terminal (+ve) and the black lead on the negative terminal (-ve). Read the voltage displayed on the multimeter. To maximise the life of the battery, it is advised you never let the charge drop below 50%.

caravanchronicles-wiring4.jpg

Charge Levels for a lead acid battery

Leisure batteries with a voltage of below 11.81 should only be charged with a 4 stage charger otherwise damage to the plates may occur. For the best charging performance when the leisure battery is not in use (over winter) look for a charger that offers a 4 stage charging process ( Bulk – Absorption – Equalisation – Float).

For the most accurate results using this method of measuring the state of charge (SOC) the battery should have been rested for at least 6 hours – i.e not been charged or any load put on it.

Other factors also determine the SOC, like temperature for example. This is offered as a guide ONLY.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
so if my battery's are showing 12.98 that's good then

That depends on whether your batteries have had any form of charging (EHU, driving, solar) during the last 6 hours (some tests state 24 hours to get an accurate reading).

A completely ruined battery will show 13v if a charger is or has recently been connected.

If your battery is showing 12.9v after having nothing connected to it for 6 hours then yes, it's good :)

(don't you just love 12v electrics)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That depends on whether your batteries have had any form of charging (EHU, driving, solar) during the last 6 hours (some tests state 24 hours to get an accurate reading).

A completely ruined battery will show 13v if a charger is or has recently been connected.

If your battery is showing 12.9v after having nothing connected to it for 6 hours then yes, it's good :)

(don't you just love 12v electrics)
I disconnected the soler to find out if there was any power drain two days ago and there holding at 12.82
so that's good I think

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
handy table, and I did ask a question in a thread a while ago about whether most people were happy to determine the state of charge of their battery simply by checking the voltage or by using a power management panel showing amp hrs used..... it got lost in the thread and not answered:)

there are so many variables in every ones circumstances..
and there is the discharge rate of the battery to consider ie 100ah battery at a given 20 hrs indicates the information relates to a 5ah discharge rate and if you exceed this then the battery will last correspondingly less time than expected.... the 50% rule already mentioned etc etc...
I came to the conclusion that yes you have to do a bit of research about your power requirements and match it as best you can to your supply source/sources , but most importantly use your van and get to know your own circumstances ..
I decided the best way for me to keep an eye on my usage was to fit a power management panel..

ta andy

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Could not live without one of these:

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back