Battery State Indicator.can You Trust It? (1 Viewer)

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
i recently removed a leisiure battery that was performing well but the little indicator window was black,meaning dead battery!i took it off and put it under a small load for 12hours drawing 1 amp it held up fine losing a miniscule amount of voltage.
What are these little windows and how do they work?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
They are a visual indicator of battery state. To measure battery, best use a volt meter. To test battery, fully charge, remove external power/charging source,allow to settle, put known load on for x number of hours, remove load, allow to settle. measure battery again with Volt meter.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi friar, I think the indicators built into the battery are small hydrometers .. they tell you the state of charge by measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte and also give an indication of the electrolyte level..
its sometimes possible to top up the battery with a little distilled water if its indicating its low...
I thought dark of black indicated it needs a charge, but not sure...
charge it up and run a good load on it and see how its held a charge... if that proves good recharge and continue to use, or at least I would...
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Hi Andy thanks for the reply.electrlyte was a little low on all cells so i topped it up i wonder if the hydrometer part had drained? seemed to work ok on a load so its gone back on the mh now and the solar is bringing it back up to full.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy thanks for the reply.electrlyte was a little low on all cells so i topped it up i wonder if the hydrometer part had drained? seemed to work ok on a load so its gone back on the mh now and the solar is bringing it back up to full.
it will only have drained if the electrolyte level dropped which you have confirmed... very simple device... its just a little coloured ball floating in an open tube which is immersed in the electrolyte..
hope its good for a long time to come... check and see if it returns to green when the battery is charged..
ta andy

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
My 2 Batteries showed ok on the green indicator but were as dead as a dodo:rolleyes:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The indicator only measures one of the six cells. It can look perfectly healthy whilst still having a dead cell.

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Techno100 hi,if i have a dead cell would my battery still read 12.8- 12.9 and run a small load (1 amp) for 12 hours with negligible volts drop.im hoping not so i can conclude the batteyr is healthy.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No a dead cell would lose 2.5 volts off any reading and be quite obvious. Generally a battery with a cell down is reading little over 10 volts

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My thoughts are as others have said......its both a hydrometer and electrolyte level indicator.

If the water level is correct and the battery charged it will show green (usually) But....if the level is low but fully charged it will probably show black as the ball is too far down the tube to gather enough light to be fully visible.

The specific gravity of electrolyte changes with charge state so taking a reading with a proper hydrometer is the only accurate way to determine charge state.

Obviously not practical on many installations such as battery under seat etc so regular, seat off, maintenance is a must.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
with a sealed wet battery you can unscrew the sight glass with a pair long nose pliers and add distilled water which turns it from black to green as some batteries loose water over years and it gives a false reading yet the battery is ok

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
In a nut shell they are a waste of time, but for many it's something else to look at because it looks pretty...............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back