Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
The C20 rating for a battery takes into account type of battery? so a gel or wet with same c20 rating would provide the same level of power taking into account the depth of discharge?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Both types will provide the same level of power. The difference is in the duration for which that power can be provided. The C20 rating provides an indication of the capacity of the battery.

Whilst the ratings maybe the same, the effective capacity will be different (in favour of the gel battery) by virtue of the fact that wets should only be discharged to 50% DoD while the gel can go to 80% DoD.

Isn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The C20 rating is the amount of amps/load can be placed on a battery over a 20 hour period @80 F. without falling below 10.5 Amps. In essence this is how the rating of a leisure battery is established, i.e. 110 AH. Some unscrupulous dealers use a different rate so as to give the battery I higher rating than it would, using the C20 rate and thereby misleading the end user.

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
fab thanks definately a question!
so c20 300ah wet would equate to 187.5 gel,
got 200 at present but banner wet which seem to be a bit needy on top ups and mine are faulty so being replaced, cant afford lithium, want more capacity, agm have bad press,
two sonnenschien 80ah £189 each no vent tubes or top ups or three yuasa 100ah at £109 each no top ups but need a tube. wet option slightly cheaper and slightly more ah?
all data from tayna website so reliable?
got space in locker either way but which route to take?
any thoughts either bad or good gratefully received!!

just seen spec sizes, the 75ah sonnenschien is same as existing banner, so 3x75 gel gives more capacity and more cost!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Tayna are a distributor, nothing else and will publish the data they are given by the battery manufacturer. My own experience with them is not good as they sent me brand new batteries that they had not maintained whilst stored in their stock room and were down to 50 % discharge when I received them and rejected the order. Also, it may be worth looking at the terms of their guarantee, your in for a surprise. As for your battery choice the Sonnenschien are used by Lenny HB and he rates them very highly. Best of luck going forward.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back