Battery question! (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
In my old caravan, the battery was housed in an external cupboard with external venting and sealed from the interior of the caravan in case of the battery 'gassing'.

I have noticed that the leisure battery in the burstner are under a seat, without any sealing internally and from what I can see, no venting externally, is this usual?

Robin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Depends on the type of battery. Some are completely sealed (GEL) and some modern Lead Acid ones too, I believe. If not! there should be a breather tube from the battery venting out of the motorhome. Probably through a dedicated hole in the bottom of the battery box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The burstner I had did have a tube to connect to the breather on a battery if you’re worried just drill a hole in floor and seal the hole

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Phil PhilandMena

Not sure that there are any Lead acid that don't need a vent, yes there are sealed batteries but that just means you can't get it to top them up so if they do vent and dry out a bit you are stuffed, GEL without vents I agree.

Martin

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I had an engineer out last night to resolve my heating problem, I asked him about the battery, he pointed to the two breather tubes that I had totally missed! :-(

SO all is well.

Leofric

Free Member
Mar 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 7
Exp
Since 2002
There shouldn't be much gas vented from a battery unless the charge rate is too high and does not stop when the battery is charged. If gas is vented it will be hydrogen, much lighter than air, so I am not sure holes in the floor would help a lot. Might give a bit of circulation I suppose.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There shouldn't be much gas vented from a battery unless the charge rate is too high and does not stop when the battery is charged. If gas is vented it will be hydrogen, much lighter than air, so I am not sure holes in the floor would help a lot. Might give a bit of circulation I suppose.
With a vent tube connected to the battery if it does gas off the only place it can go is through the tube to the outside world so much safer than not venting it.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
So why do the vents always drop through the floor? I’ve never seen any with vents going up?

Leofric

Free Member
Mar 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 7
Exp
Since 2002
Maybe to let air in as the minimal amount of gas drifts up into wherever. An airtight box for the battery would be a bad idea as any gas would get trapped.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Maybe to let air in as the minimal amount of gas drifts up into wherever. An airtight box for the battery would be a bad idea as any gas would get trapped.
No I think air won’t get in due to battery gassing off when pressure builds??

Leofric

Free Member
Mar 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 7
Exp
Since 2002
As LennyHB says, if the battery case has a vent tube to outside that is the best solution. My old van had the battery in a metal lined box under a seat with a "vent" through the floor to outside. Pretty pointless as any gas would have gone up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back