Free Member
Jan 24, 2021
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
bessacar e560
Exp
l
hi everyone missing the open road as im sure you all are but it cant last forever, me and my wife have been caravanning for many years and last year bought a motor home as we hired one the previous and really enjoyed it, unfortunately it was just before the pandemic so we have not had the opportunity to use it much.
we found a local spot to store the vehicle as its to big to go on the drive but unfortunately there is no electric supply, found out that after a couple of weeks the vehicle had trouble starting so after various checks I was advised to invest in a new battery and ended up purchasing 2 (new cabin battery and leisure battery also a couple of dash board solar chargers) decided to leave it for a month before going to check the van and take it for a run, same thing seemed to be happening problem starting again, looked on internet to see if I was doing something wrong when storing the van I turned off the shut down system detached the radio cover but still seems to be draining down, I have a Bessacarr E560 10 years old wondered if any one had the same issue.

cheers Gary

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Might be the alarm system

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If the alarm is off can you disconnect the battery if van has to be left for long periods??
It could well be all the parasitic loads which newer vehicles are plagued with. You have to rectify it but at the moment you will kill any new battery you fit.
Do you have any solar??
I had a battery master thing on our old motorhome but even it didn't stop engine battery going flat!!
Others on here will suggest ways to solve this!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Small dash top solar panels.....might as well use a couple of shoe box lids.
There isn't enough sun on enough days to make solar viable unless you have big panels.
Couple of hundred watts would surfice.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You may be better off taking both batteries home and charge them up properly. Then remove charger and monitor voltage every few days. They should not lose any significant charge over a couple of weeks. If they do lose charge quickly they are probably knackered. The fully charged voltage will be 12.6 volts after a couple of hours disconnected from the charger. Longer term a solar panel charging system would keep both batteries charged even in winter, as long as there isn't significant drain on them.

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
Try a screw type isolator on the positive terminal so as to easily disconnect/reconnect the battery. The battery will only discharge if it is nackered.

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
May I suggest bearing mind where you are storeing your van ,that you buy a small generator,If itā€™s possible to use one you simple plug the generator into your van then useing the battery charger installed in the van you can charge your batterys ,a certain advantage useing this method is that the generator will also be able to power upyour fridge ,fridges after months of not being used as at the moment stop working ( the two gasses that circulates inside separate and therefore he fridge stops working.
There are plenty of really cheap second hand gennys about Clarkeā€™s Hondas etc all you need for battery chargeing is 750 /100 watts, a hour a week will stop them going flat a lot cheaper than replacement batteries

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
May I suggest bearing mind where you are storeing your van ,that you buy a small generator,If itā€™s possible to use one you simple plug the generator into your van then useing the battery charger installed in the van you can charge your batterys ,a certain advantage useing this method is that the generator will also be able to power upyour fridge ,fridges after months of not being used as at the moment stop working ( the two gasses that circulates inside separate and therefore he fridge stops working.
There are plenty of really cheap second hand gennys about Clarkeā€™s Hondas etc all you need for battery chargeing is 750 /100 watts, a hour a week will stop them going flat a lot cheaper than replacement batteries
If you do go down the generator route, I have had this one for a number of years :

<Broken link removed>

There's also a Screwfix & Wolfe version - I got mine on special offer for 180 notes

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My vehicle battery was down to 50% even with 400w of solar. There's only dim light at this time of year and short hours of daylight. I replaced it with a spare though small battery to keep alarm etc going and took it home to charge.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our storage does not allow generators to be used, so check if going down that route, also remember no battery = no alarm or immobiliser which could mean no insurance. We have 180 solar and a battery master which is keeping the batteries topped up ok. We do get any sun that is about as there is no shade.
Oops :pink:

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
If it is a Ducato base they, allegedly, have a phantom drain on the battery. I had the same issue if I left it for more than 6 weeks, even with no alarm on. Fiat, allegedly, know about this but have done nothing about it. I got a 25w portable solar panel and fixed it to the roof of the storage facility. Checked the MH last week after 2 months and it still started no problem. And that was with the alarm on.
Welcome šŸ‘

Bigbass

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV 60 Chatsw
Exp
5 years but tent camper previously
We have had the same problems and even with a large solar on the roof the leisure battery lost power with alarms etc
The engine battery went flat with the cold and lack of use but the van is on the drive a my wife has charged the battery, the van started first time. New skills as I am still in hospital and can only leave her to it. The locks and the alarms seemed to be the issue.
Watch the boys in blue if you go out for a run.

Apr 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta KYacht 85
If it is a Ducato base they, allegedly, have a phantom drain on the battery. I had the same issue if I left it for more than 6 weeks, even with no alarm on. Fiat, allegedly, know about this but have done nothing about it. I got a 25w portable solar panel and fixed it to the roof of the storage facility. Checked the MH last week after 2 months and it still started no problem. And that was with the alarm on.
Welcome šŸ‘
We have the same problem on a Ducatto. With alarm and tracker and all the other bits which are supposed to be intelligent and switch off or to low power it draws 0.15A so vehicle battery is drained in about 3 weeks. Fiat say they expect Fiat chassis to drain 0.07A. Mobilvetta agent blame Fiat, Fiat blame Mobilvetta. Dual channel solar panel works in storage barn but not enough to keep vehicle battery up which is now knackered anyway, even though habitation battery is isolated. Is 0.15A drain suggesting a fault that can be fixed or something I have to live with?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
know it sounds daft, but taking the front off our radio stopped the battery drain problem in both our previous vans, works on my doblo too, but don't have an integrated sat nav etc

Apr 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta KYacht 85
know it sounds daft, but taking the front off our radio stopped the battery drain problem in both our previous vans, works on my doblo too, but don't have an integrated sat nav etc
Thanks for suggestion scotsue not at all daft. Unfortunately van is too modern and posh to allow practical fixes like that! Radio is on a permanent feed that can't be easily or practically changed as its all integrated and it does have a drain even when off.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
wonder if it would be possibe to add an inline switch to cut off power
Thanks for suggestion scotsue not at all daft. Unfortunately van is too modern and posh to allow practical fixes like that! Radio is on a permanent feed that can't be easily or practically changed as its all integrated and it does have a drain even when off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back