Jan 24, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 1998
Hi.
I'm currently off grid and running my electric off solar. It's getting a good charge during the day in the beautiful Portuguese sunshine and showing 14 - 14.5 v whilst the sun is out by the end of the afternoon but as soon as the sun goes down the voltage drops and goes down to 12v by the end of the evening whilst only powering a few led lights. It repeats this everyday.

I think I know the answer but does this sound like a dud battery? I have no idea how old it is.

A very helpful neighbour is going to charge the battery for me and load test it in a couple of days so that should give me an answer but any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Also whilst on the subject, does anybody know where to buy a reliable leisure battery in Portugal, particularly in the algarve area.

Many thanks.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It certainly sounds like dead battery
If yours proves after charging to be knackered there is a big shop in algarve that will sell them----- for the life of me I can't think of their name but I have it in my motorhome---- it's raining at the mo!!!----- but I will get it if you need it😊
Also in Ayamonte (spelling?) Apparently there is a cheaper place ---- someone on here will know where it is!!! BUT BE VERY CAREFULL OF TRAVELLING AT THE MOMENT------ I dont know how other countries reg goes but with Portuguese reg plates we could incur massive fines------ also, of course you risk virus problems!!!!!!! Take care!!!

Sorry--- we are too far North to be able to help😥

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Definitely a duff battery. Especially as you don't know how old it is.
Only buy a known make of battery - not just one with a fancy sticker no matter how good it sound.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jocko

Free Member
Jan 24, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 1998
It certainly sounds like dead battery
If yours proves after charging to be knackered there is a big shop in algarve that will sell them----- for the life of me I can't think of their name but I have it in my motorhome---- it's raining at the mo!!!----- but I will get it if you need it😊
Also in Ayamonte (spelling?) Apparently there is a cheaper place ---- someone on here will know where it is!!! BUT BE VERY CAREFULL OF TRAVELLING AT THE MOMENT------ I dont know how other countries reg goes but with Portuguese reg plates we could incur massive fines------ also, of course you risk virus problems!!!!!!! Take care!!!

Sorry--- we are too far North to be able to help😥
Hi Sundowners. Thanks for the reply.

If you could find the name/brand that would be great. We're not moving around at the moment and have found found a fantastic property to stay on the grounds for a while. I think we'd be okay driving to buy a battery as its an essential.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Sundowners. Thanks for the reply.

If you could find the name/brand that would be great. We're not moving around at the moment and have found found a fantastic property to stay on the grounds for a while. I think we'd be okay driving to buy a battery as its an essential.
Where are you?? I assume in the Algarve? You have done well to find a property to stay on---- especially with wild camping being outlawed!!! That is a pain as we normally only wild camp,but it's always the same-- a few spoil it for everyone!! Bit of a sledgehammer move though--- away from algarve/coast so much space to be out of everyone's way!!
I understand the Portuguese motorhome club are contesting it?? Time will tell how much they enforce it??
Good luck with your battery issue and stay safe!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back