Free Member
Jul 23, 2017
Moray
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am travelling in Spain and Portugsal in an Auto sleeper Symbol 2006 and have had no problems until now. I have stayed without hook up for 3_4 days beforehand.
When I am running the van the reading is 14 but whenever I stop it drops to 8.
Therefore the diesel heating doesn't come on and I can't get hot water either.
I have driven over 200 km over the last 2 days and the van is never a problem starting, it'd just that the charge isn't holding for any time at all.
Had a look under bonnet and battery but nothing seems to be slack it amiss but I'm a complete novice so that means nothing. battery only 2 years old 80 power.
Is my only option to go on electric hook up but the blooming thing does charge but doesn't hold.
Any help appreciated.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You appear to be looking at the engine battery when infact you need to find the leisure battery & ascertain whether that has died. The engine battery doesn't supply the power for the diesl heating/water

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jnet

The battery that isn't holding charge is your habitation battery not the one that starts the engine, so it will be some place other than under the bonnet, When you find it you might find that it needs water and will come back to life otherwise it is dead and you need a new on, it would appear that the charging system is OK if it shows 14v on your habitation battery when the engine is running.

Martin

EDIT or what he said before I finished typing(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I am travelling in Spain and Portugsal in an Auto sleeper Symbol 2006 and have had no problems until now. I have stayed without hook up for 3_4 days beforehand.
When I am running the van the reading is 14 but whenever I stop it drops to 8.
Therefore the diesel heating doesn't come on and I can't get hot water either.
I have driven over 200 km over the last 2 days and the van is never a problem starting, it'd just that the charge isn't holding for any time at all.
Had a look under bonnet and battery but nothing seems to be slack it amiss but I'm a complete novice so that means nothing. battery only 2 years old 80 power.
Is my only option to go on electric hook up but the blooming thing does charge but doesn't hold.
Any help appreciated.

Hi Janet - I think you ought to go to the nearest Battery supplier to where you are and get them to test your battery - they may even be able to check that your engine is charging it up? You haven’t said that the battery in question is your leisure battery but I take it that is what you are referring to as you are able to start ok on your vehicle battery :)

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As per the others, habitation battery problem is likely to be under the front seats.
If you pop into the spanish equivelent of Halfords or Naurato (in France) they ll probably be able to check for you.
The decision then comes with do you replace your battery/batteries with one or 2 batteries.
Leisure batteries can be quite cheap on ebay (i think about £100) but are a couple of hundred (if i remember rightly from Naurato) but you are a bit stuffed.
How are you recharging your batteries ? via your motor and hook up or do you have solar ? and how much battery do you actually require will determine how many batteries you need/want

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you might even find that you have 2 habitation batteries fitted and that only one has failed, which will make them both look duff, if you are so lucky getting the faulty one disconnected will give you a much better situation, although ideally both will need to be changed at some point (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jnet

Jnet

Free Member
Jul 23, 2017
Moray
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your quick responses. Yes it is my leisure battery, I only have 1 under drivers seat. I do not have any solar as no roomon roof.
I do not know what is meant by battery needs water? Is this something I can do myself?
I would

Would I damage anything g further if I left things as they are til I get home in around d 3 weeks time. Many thanks.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At just 8 volts the battery is well and truly dead.
No matter what you do, if the reading is correct, you will NOT revive a battery with that low a reading.
It could have developed an internal short at any time so just because it's been ok doesn't mean it can't happen.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for all your quick responses. Yes it is my leisure battery, I only have 1 under drivers seat. I do not have any solar as no roomon roof.
I do not know what is meant by battery needs water? Is this something I can do myself?
I would

Would I damage anything g further if I left things as they are til I get home in around d 3 weeks time. Many thanks.
Floded lead acid batteries that are not sealed loose water from the electrolyte and need topping up, if yours is hidden under a seat it should be sealed.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jnet

Jnet

Free Member
Jul 23, 2017
Moray
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok thanks. I think it is knackered, will try to manage til I get home as don't have s Scooby what to buy and may get ripped off due to language problems.etc.
Thanks all for your helpful comments.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Ok thanks. I think it is knackered, will try to manage til I get home as don't have s Scooby what to buy and may get ripped off due to language problems.etc.
Thanks all for your helpful comments.
Call out for a Funster near you and they will come to your aid. Many Funsters are in Spain and Portugal in the winter. It looks like you hab battery has failed but it could be something simple.

If you tell funsters where you are you might be lucky and get free assistance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jnet

Jnet

Free Member
Jul 23, 2017
Moray
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you Bobby I'm very near Villarreal between Valencia and Barcelona.
If anyone near. Thing is leisure battery can't be completey dead as the toilet is still flushing, lights coming on although very dim and water pump still working. You'll find Me at confused.com.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back