Battery Problems Auto Trail Arapaho (1 Viewer)

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
We are new to motorhomes and never had a caravan. Purchased our second hand MH in April 15. We recently travelled to Spain driving down and back through France. On the last stop coming home I managed to flatten the battery overnight through I think leaving the light switch on even though it was on EHU. The next day we just waited for the battery to recharge via the EHU.

When we got home we parked MH on our drive and had it on EHU and then for some weeks not connected, during which time I presume the solar panel kept the vehicle battery charged.

About four weeks ago (due to moving home) we put the vehicle into storage (Storage is outisde so Solar Panel should charge the batteries). We did not turn off the shutdown button. Approximately 10 days later our tracker reported a flat battery warning. We went to check and sure enough the battery was completely flat, tried to recharge via a generator but after an hour 2.3v and half an hour later 2.2v. So have taken it off and had it checked at Arnold Clark, they have had it on charge for over 24 hours and it is only showing 11.4v, they advise a new genuine fiat 110Ah battery @£270+Vat. The current battery is a Yuasa YBX5019 12v 100Ah 900A, replacement cost for the Yuasa battery £86+Vat.

So that is the story now to the questions:

Do I need a new battery? I believe I do.

Is Arnold Clark's advice re genuine fiat battery being required correct?

Will a replacement Identical Yuasa battery as the one currently fitted not do the same job as the genuine fiat battery? I know what you pay is what you get.

Should the solar panel charge the vehicle battery?

Does the fact that the battery is flat mean the solar panel isn't working as it should?

Can I get the solar panel tested?

Should we turn off the shutdown button?

Is there anything else that might cause the battery to be flat?

Are we doing anything wrong?

What I don't want to do is fit a new battery and for that to be drained because of the solar panel not working correctly.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Dennis and Terry(My lovely wife)

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Might have been said before but unless you have specific wiring connections then the solar panel will not be charging the vehicle battery only the leisure battery. The two batteries are deliberately kept separate when the engine is not running. I constructed a lead with a 1/2 ohm resister and a 20 amp diode in series to connect the leisure battery to the engine battery and have had no problems since.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Calais Monday Morning then we will make our way down to Lagos in Portugal.
Our provisional route is with stop overs at or near to Orleans, Clermont Ferrand, Narbonne, Zaragoza, Madrid, Cordoba, Seville and Lagos. Hoping to be in Lagos by 20/22 Jan depending on how long we stay over.

Speak with you soon and thanks for all your help, so far. Oh yes we will be seeking regular tips and tricks :) whilst on our travels.

TND.
If I may be so bold, this is not the best route IMO. Have a look in the resources section for the best toll and non toll routes for France and for Spain. I would recommend the western route down France. (The N10 route) which is fundimentaly Toll free, no big climbs and snow free (due to it's proximity to the Atlantic weather systems. Once you cross into Spain, Toll free again by going N121A to Pamplona, then overnight at Valladilod and then across and into Portugal. Although a long drive it's straight forward and mapped out for you in the above routes.
Safe Travels. Portugal is great.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
If I may be so bold, this is not the best route IMO. Have a look in the resources section for the best toll and non toll routes for France and for Spain. I would recommend the western route down France. (The N10 route) which is fundimentaly Toll free, no big climbs and snow free (due to it's proximity to the Atlantic weather systems. Once you cross into Spain, Toll free again by going N121A to Pamplona, then overnight at Valladilod and then across and into Portugal. Although a long drive it's straight forward and mapped out for you in the above routes.

Hi There
Thank you for the advice, we will have a look.

TND

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015

Thank you for the advise, we came down the route as you suggested (very good). If you look at our other thread you can see how we are doing. If only I could remember It's title. I'll get back to you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Philandmena our other thread is called 'TND (Terry&Dennis) Winter in Portugal 2016'. Something like that, sorry it's me age. Been two minutes since I looked at it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back