LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
After researching long and hard I bought Alan one of these for his birthday but its went faulty on the first day. Which one do you have and can you recommend it to start a motorhome?

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
I purchased a Noco Gb40 I haven’t tried it yet but after reviews that’s why I decided to get this one

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just bought one off ebay for 37 nicker and its supposed to start up to a 3 litre diesel engine.

All i can say is it looks the business at this moment in time and is yellow and comes in a bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just bought one off ebay for 37 nicker and its supposed to start up to a 3 litre diesel engine.

All i can say is it looks the business at this moment in time and is yellow and comes in a bag
Looks can be deceiving, you are best to try it out before your return time runs out.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I bought one from Lidl, not tried it and had it for a good while.

Thought it might if discharged, nope still fully charged ?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We have a NOCO Boost too Sandra & its a stonking bit of kit.
Can charge our phones in no time flat & just started our Sprinter which had a dead & I do mean dead battery.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Sandra which one did you buy the poor chap?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The smaller Noco boost like the GB40 might struggle a bit.

Most jump starter packs use Lithium-ion batteries and one of the problem with Lithium-ion batteries is that they do not like being stored fully charged as this shortens their life and capacity.
Ideally they should be stored at 30% charge if not used for a period of time which is not ideal if your want to jump start your van. You can get jump starter packs that use LifePo4 batteries but these are big bucks compared to the Lithium-ion versions.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Letting your van batteries (starter or leisure) go flat is a terrible thing, look after them and you won't need a jump starter...

Then when the battery is knackered buy a new one.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Letting your van batteries (starter or leisure) go flat is a terrible thing, look after them and you won't need a jump starter...

I quite agree but, every now & then folks get it wrong & if it happens in the middle of no-where that's a huge problem.
Our has been used to charge the phone more than actually jump starting engines, we've all ran out of mobile charge & that can be a pain.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have a NOCO Boost too Sandra & its a stonking bit of kit.
Can charge our phones in no time flat & just started our Sprinter which had a dead & I do mean dead battery.
Which one do you have?

<Broken link removed>

Yes I agree but mishaps can happen, besides you can use it to charge laptop etc so thought it would be very handy.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Which one do you have?

<Broken link removed>

Yes I agree but mishaps can happen, besides you can use it to charge laptop etc so thought it would be very handy.
It's just a GB40 but I really rate it as a great bit of kit, very light & lives in the glovebox, also has a cracking LED torch built in.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with

Life for grave dodgers is sometimes not that simple to organise to ensure you never allow the batteries to go flat. Having a contingency plan to overcome the possibility of a "terrible thing" is a damn good idea when you never know what life will throw at you

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Life for grave dodgers is sometimes not that simple to organise to ensure you never allow the batteries to go flat. Having a contingency plan to overcome the possibility of a "terrible thing" is a damn good idea when you never know what life will throw at you
A good example , Alan accidentally left the boot light on on his car, came back after a motorhome trip and car battery was flat, not convenient to jump start so this item might've saved him having to remove battery to charge.

After again reading a whole load for positive reviews for the one I chose I've just ordered a replacement. Fingers crossed we've made the right decision and last one was a rarity to be faulty.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The smaller Noco boost like the GB40 might struggle a bit.

Most jump starter packs use Lithium-ion batteries and one of the problem with Lithium-ion batteries is that they do not like being stored fully charged as this shortens their life and capacity.
Ideally they should be stored at 30% charge if not used for a period of time which is not ideal if your want to jump start your van. You can get jump starter packs that use LifePo4 batteries but these are big bucks compared to the Lithium-ion versions.

Dunknow where yew get that info from Borr, I've bin usin lithium batteries ever since they woz born, never hadda problem like wot yew's orn about.
I hadda scout'about the 3Ws, dun'your bit of research orn'um ( lithium-ion batteries) cudn't find owt'about your 30% claim?!
Mabbee youse cud enlite'un me Borr,,,
Eye's always happy tur'learn.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Dunknow where yew get that info from Borr, I've bin usin lithium batteries ever since they woz born, never hadda problem like wot yew's orn about.
I hadda scout'about the 3Ws, dun'your bit of research orn'um ( lithium-ion batteries) cudn't find owt'about your 30% claim?!
Can you say that in scottish pleaz :rofl: a dinnae underston yir lingo or Gellyneck kin u translate

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well after even more googling reading reviews etc, Ive just ordered the same one hoping the last one was a one off...AND as Amazon had none left and ebay were charging £20 more , we just bought straight from Chia for £12 cheaper :) I'm hoping theres no import fees due.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can you say that in scottish pleaz :rofl: a dinnae underston yir lingo or Gellyneck kin u translate
I stopped the Mustard lessons a year or two back so your on your own with that one, Sandra!:whistle:;):giggle:

Assuming the cost of the item + cost for freight is over (from memory) £18 there should be import duties and vat to pay on this total unless the supplier has built these into their selling price (unlikely).
I think the duty rate on the relevant Commodity Code is 0% however vat would be payable at 20%. This, of course, if the supplier correctly identifies the item on commercial paperwork. I sincerely hope they do as Li-on batteries (assuming that's what's in the kit) are classified as hazardous in some instances.
Having said all of that it's been a long time since I was involved in direct importations so ......:unsure:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We also have the NOCO GB 40

not sure on your logic Sandra, ask for opinions and a few hours later ignore it all ?

it’s you r money though ?

I thought ours had failed first time we used in anger, all the lights kept flashing

turns out once I RTFM that meant all was well and it was working fine ? you also have to leave connected for 30 seconds before trying to start ?

if you need a third one one I suggest a NOCO ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
not sure on your logic Sandra, ask for opinions and a few hours later ignore it all ?

it’s you r money though ?

Hmm ignore it all? How many did I ignore, less than one hand. Its ok folk saying we have blah blah but unless they have specific findings it don't add up to much. Opinions are valued but they re that Opinions!

For ex would you go by 2 reviews on fun or 67 elsewhere? Its a picture to be built.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
DavidG58 My reply to you was rather rude. Please accept my apology. My thinking behind not going for the Nico is it doesn’t have a cigarette socket, we want to be able to also charge other things like laptop so for that reason we opted to try the grr pro again. It is still good though to hear what others have used.
PS: Did you watch the video posted on this thread earlier?

ECBC2728-3F98-487A-AA7A-3B584903CB9C.jpeg

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I bought a Ring Automotive RPP265 a few years ago.
Its started many cars including a 2.5 litre diesel. It has a built in inverter, usb and 12v socket and work light.
its still working fine but takes a long time to charge with the included charging plate.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
My buddy has one but when he tried to start the motorhome with it, it failed miserably.

I bought one to help me start mum's car which never got a lot of use, it failed to turn the engine of a sun one litre Ford Fiesta.

Both times the packs were fully charged.

I went back to jump leads, more hassle but reliable.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

What's with the talk of a 14 year old bro ?

More than slightly worrying that you have been around lithium batteries all that time and you still have not got a clue about storage capacity and cell voltage for periods of non use.
I have not got a lot of time to try and educate you, but here are a couple of items on the subject for you to get started with, after that try a Google search of "lithium-ion battery long time storage charge"

https://zeusbatteryproducts.wordpre...an-of-lithium-ion-batteries-in-home-business/

https://blog.ampow.com/lipo-voltage-chart/

Storage temperature and charge
Storing a Li-ion battery at the correct temperature and charge makes all the difference in maintaining its storage capacity. The following table shows the amount of permanent capacity loss that will occur after storage at a given charge level and temperature.

Permanent Capacity Loss versus Storage Conditions
Storage Temperature40% Charge100% Charge
0 °C (32 °F)2% loss after 1 year6% loss after 1 year
25 °C (77 °F)4% loss after 1 year20% loss after 1 year
40 °C (104 °F)15% loss after 1 year35% loss after 1 year
60 °C (140 °F)25% loss after 1 year40% loss after 3 months
Source: "How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries". Retrieved October 15, 2011.
It is significantly beneficial to avoid storing a lithium-ion battery at full charge. A Li-ion battery stored at 40% charge will last many times longer than one stored at 100% charge, particularly at higher temperatures. [6]

If a Li-ion battery is stored with too low a charge, there is a risk of allowing the charge to drop below the battery's low-voltage threshold, resulting in an unrecoverably dead battery. Once the charge has dropped to this level, recharging it can be dangerous. An internal safety circuit will therefore open to prevent charging, and the battery will be for all practical purposes dead. [6]

In circumstances where a second Li-ion battery is available for a given device, it is recommended that the unused battery be discharged to 40% and placed in the refrigerator to prolong its shelf life.[6] Batteries should be allowed to completely warm to room temperature over up to 24 hours before any discharge or charge.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning Sandra

it didn’t offend, I am on Dry January so less volatile than normal ?

not really sure why you need a cigar type socket though, there are four USB outlets, or are you still using a laptop?

but each to their own

I didn’t watch the video as it wasn’t the same as we have, that was based on the image, where it showed the iclever, just watched now

he has made exactly the same mistake I did, odd for a tech reviewer ? GB40 says connect for 30 seconds before trying to start, it made the difference when I used ours ?

hope your replacement works well ? I might just upgrade to the GB90 and keep the 40 for the car, we also use it as a juice box when out on bikes ?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not if you are short on battery power and no solar coming in;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back