Battery overheating Help needed (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Before connecting new batteries ensure charger is not faulty as the same thing could happen😊

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We’ve got gell ones now not sure if they have them will look on web site nearest would be Kendal.

Liz
As a precaution, get someone to check your charging unit is set for GEL batteries?. GEL batteries need a different charge regime to Lead Acid.

OP
OP
Zilevets

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Update

RAC just gone he disconnected the problem battery but they don’t fit new ones sure it said in my info package as paid full recovery onward and upwards but never mind as was advised not to get one from them by Lenny will look to see where to get new ones and where they can be delivered as don’t want to go home as we’ve just got freedom.

Thanks for all your help working well on hook up so will carry on and fingers x’d it’s the only problem we have. 1st issue we’ve had with van in 4 years so not doing badly.

Liz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi you two
I know these are not cheap but they will fit and forget according to their web site and MADE IN BRITAIN
DE4BE6CD-08E7-47DA-995A-54BE2CFCD510.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As a precaution, get someone to check your charging unit is set for GEL batteries?. GEL batteries need a different charge regime to Lead Acid.
Won't harm Gels they just won't get a full charge, the other way round on Gel setting can cook a flooded cell.

OP
OP
Zilevets

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi you two
I know these are not cheap but they will fit and forget according to their web site and MADE IN BRITAIN View attachment 404246
Hello to you both too
Just looked on web site they are around same price as quoted at Tanya so not bad just need to convince Steve we need to spend more money as he didn’t like the price of one gell battery so getting 2 lithium’s might take some doing.
For the amount of time we use van it would be worth it.

Liz

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hello to you both too
Just looked on web site they are around same price as quoted at Tanya so not bad just need to convince Steve we need to spend more money as he didn’t like the price of one gell battery so getting 2 lithium’s might take some doing.

Liz
Only you know that, but Steve could use the electric toaster every morning 🤣🤣 for free

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Update

RAC just gone he disconnected the problem battery but they don’t fit new ones sure it said in my info package as paid full recovery onward and upwards but never mind as was advised not to get one from them by Lenny will look to see where to get new ones and where they can be delivered as don’t want to go home as we’ve just got freedom.

Thanks for all your help working well on hook up so will carry on and fingers x’d it’s the only problem we have. 1st issue we’ve had with van in 4 years so not doing badly.

Liz
They do fit batteries they even fitted one for me when I supplied my own battery, make a complaint, they offer a couple of battery service options

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Main thing is after removing a Gassing Battery is not to smoke , out put a naked flame near it , if the Battery Gasses get ignited the explosion could seriously burn you or if you get the Gasses in your eyes it could blind you , if any of the above happens immediately wash with loads of water, then go to hospital.
Taking it to the extreme one of my employees used a Hand Grinder and a spark(s) hit a Charging/Gassing Forklift battery and the explosion was like a bomb going off luckily no one was hurt.

Dave@ferncot

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1980
We’re on a site we’ve plugged lekky hookup in and there was a funny smell in van I’ve just checked batteries and one was red hot I’ve disconnected the lekky hook up and battery has cooled down is there any way to switch the battery to off and just use lekky.

It’s a Hymer van if that helps.

Liz

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hello to you both too

Liz
Although they say a drop in replacement for a standard battery it's very unlikely. To get the best out of Lithium you would need to change the mains charger, solar regulator and fit a B2B.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Will change both if we can find someone around here who can do it quick that way I’m not worrying does anyone know a mobile fitter around Ingleton if not will head home and see if caravan Dan can do them.

Liz
I’m sure Caravan Dan will be able to sort it for you. We used to store our van at where his base is in Keighley before we felt the need to move it elsewhere.
I’ve seen him take a whole side off a van to rectify damp before whilst I was cleaning my van, so think he will be capable to help you.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your break and don’t let it worry you too much.

OP
OP
Zilevets

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Although they say a drop in replacement for a standard battery it's very unlikely. To get the best out of Lithium you would need to change the mains charger, solar regulator and fit a B2B.
Yep I thought that last night it would take more work than a quick fix so far our one and only battery left is cool as a cucumber we’re hooked up on lekky which is rare for us at this time of year and no smells inside van.
Trying to get another gell today is a nightmare as no one open camp not letting us do a delivery so may need to order one and go home to pick it up if we can’t get one tomorrow we will see.
Wondering if the charger thing needs checking out also or will we be good to fit another straight in.

Liz

OP
OP
Zilevets

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I’m sure Caravan Dan will be able to sort it for you. We used to store our van at where his base is in Keighley before we felt the need to move it elsewhere.
I’ve seen him take a whole side off a van to rectify damp before whilst I was cleaning my van, so think he will be capable to help you.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your break and don’t let it worry you too much.
Yep he will he usually services it for us too so it’s an option will ring him tomorrow we store the van at the same place have done since they opened the back bit handy for checking it from bypass as we go by just means heading back home and we were planning on loitering around Cumbria until Sandra’s meet in Millport but got plenty of time.

Liz

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yep I thought that last night it would take more work than a quick fix so far our one and only battery left is cool as a cucumber we’re hooked up on lekky which is rare for us at this time of year and no smells inside van.
Trying to get another gell today is a nightmare as no one open camp not letting us do a delivery so may need to order one and go home to pick it up if we can’t get one tomorrow we will see.
Wondering if the charger thing needs checking out also or will we be good to fit another straight in.

Liz
If the output of the charger is not going above 14.4v and when the battery is charged it drops to 13.8v it should be OK. The EBL can take either 8 or 16 hours (dependant on the model of EBL) to drop to 13.8v once the battery reaches 14.4v.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Yep he will he usually services it for us too so it’s an option will ring him tomorrow we store the van at the same place have done since they opened the back bit handy for checking it from bypass as we go by just means heading back home and we were planning on loitering around Cumbria until Sandra’s meet in Millport but got plenty of time.

Liz
We stored ours around the back.
I got a bit fed up with them because they were charging me a lot more as my van was longer than 7m but yet the vans either side of me were about 5m long, plus it was a bind manoeuvring in and out so I felt that I was paying the price but not getting a storage space to match. (I thought by paying more I’d have ease of access for the size)
Be careful of nails as well.
They had pallet fires on a regular basis but never picked up the nails.
I once picked up & collected a medium sized pirex bowl full of nails just from where I had to drive to get in and out - took them to the office to show him and told him that I hadn’t picked all of the up. He said he would take care of it. They were still there months afterwards.
Someone set up a classic Motorhome hire company from there too.
We were blocked in once by one of the hirers who left there car in front of our Motorhome - we had to cancel our plans.
But, as you say, the location if great. It’s only 5mile from our house and is straight onto the bypass.
I did call them when our current storage was coming up for renewal but although they were a lot more expensive, they did not have space and had no waitlist. Plus, I’d only go back if it was around the front now.
My neighbour had his van bumped parked at the side. They caught the back end with their fork lift truck.

OP
OP
Zilevets

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yeah nails were a problem a few years back when Dan had his office across from us we had one in the car and ended up parked in the police station car park to get it fixed when they were open. Just thinking about the dog poo that used to be there yesterday still check the ground as we walk on it. I’ve never given a thought to how much we’ve paid we started with a 6m van and progressed up to our Hymer but still paid same until this year.
I’ve always said the hardest part of the journey was getting in or out of there we got blocked in once and by the time I’d finished ranting at Greg it’s never happened again! We started planning our departures for Sunday morning just so we could get out easily. Would not want to park up at front on LHS though we are safer around the back.

Liz

OP
OP
Zilevets

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
As long as you have one battery connected and your on ehu I would just wait till I got home 🙂
Okaay but what happens when we go wilding never done it on one battery got 2 large solars on top though we are talking about Scotland!!
If we can leave it till we get back should have all August to get something sorted.

Liz

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Okaay but what happens when we go wilding never done it on one battery got 2 large solars on top though we are talking about Scotland!!
If we can leave it till we get back should have all August to get something sorted.

Liz
Should be OK at this time of year, providing you don't get a complete week without sun.

lenma

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 yrs
I recently experienced this on my motorhome, previous times on boats. This time it was discovered in a slightly different way. Van was parked up at home and I heard the smoke detector bleeping, I took it into the house and tested it but all seemed ok. The following day my wife reinstated it in the van and when I got home it was bleeping again.
Cutting a long story it was the smoke detector that detected the gases from the battery before we even smelt it! The detector is a Fire Angel carbon dioxide detector so if you don’t have one then worth considering

OP
OP
Zilevets

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have a carbon monoxide detector but it never detected the gas have checked it and it is working fine but I wonder if because we were in and out of van and the air was being replaced

Liz

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What is the maximum Amp hours an EBL29 can handle?

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Hi you two
I know these are not cheap but they will fit and forget according to their web site and MADE IN BRITAIN View attachment 404246
I had a 120ah fitted by him at Stourport on Severn it is excellent so far and a great price for Lithium.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back