Battery Monitor Installation - Update (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/battery-monitor-query.230619/

Following on from the above thread, I thought I would just post about my progress, and to inform anyone thinking of doing something similar.

After receiving a lot of useful advice, I finally decided to install a Victron Smartshunt. This was to replace a CTEK Battery Sense Bluetooth Battery Monitor that I installed 4 years ago.

The CTEK Device is also viewed via an App, but is much more basic than the Victron Unit. It only monitors the battery temperature and voltage, and calculates the state of charge from that. The limitation is that the figure is only accurate if there are no loads on the battery. It also plots a voltage trend for the last 30 days which is stored in the device and updates every time it is connected via Bluetooth.

The App uses a “Traffic light” system, with battery being Green, (58% to 100% - Battery OK) Orange (36% to 57% - Charge Soon) or Red (Below 35% - Charge now). I have never fully understood the percentage value, as it is at odds with the accepted practice of not allowing a FLA battery to drop below 50%. I find that the value usually drops to 85% during the night, quickly going back to 100% in the morning. I think this may possibly be due to the 100Ah and 110Ah batteries being 5 and 4 years old respectively

Screenshot_20201208-093151.jpg

I have accepted the limitation, and have found it useful to be able to occasionally check the battery from the comfort of the house, especially in the Winter, when the Solar Panels provide very little power, as the van is parked in the shade, at the North of the house.

Installing the Victron SmartShunt was straight forward, though I used two small angle brackets, as I was mounting it on a vertical surface, and wanted to be able to see the Blue LED Indicator. Connections were simple – 2x M10 Bolts for the Battery Negative cable, and two small push-in connectors for the Leisure Battery and Starter Battery Positives. I also took the opportunity to make a Negative Bus Bar from some copper strip, to tidy things up and to ensure that the Negative from ALL the loads/Supplies went through the Shunt.

IMG_20201202_144403939~2.jpg

Once installed I tried without success to connect via the App, but after some research, found that a re-start on my phone solved the problem. The information available is far more comprehensive that the CTEK Battery Sense.

As well as showing Voltage, Current (In or Out) the Time Remaining until the battery reaches 50% is displayed. The Starter Battery Voltage is also displayed. A lot of the characteristics can be modified including settings for AGM and Lithium batteries.

Screenshot_20201202-130137.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with the Victron, though so far it has just been static at home, so I am yet to see how it behaves as the battery is drained and charged.

My main disappointment with the Victron is with the Bluetooth range. With the CTEK unit, I can access the data from inside the house, with the van on the drive nearby, However the Victron unit requires me to be either standing nearby, or in the van itself. Also, the CTEK displays 30 days’ worth of History, whereas the “Trend” screen on the Victron only displays data downloaded whilst the App is open.

In view of that I have left the CTEK unit connected so I can connect from indoors, whilst I will rely on the Victron when I am away in the van.

Details

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/ctx-battery-sense - Cost Approx £55

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/smart-battery-shunt - Cost Approx £120

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
My main disappointment with the Victron is with the Bluetooth range.
I have nothing to compare it with but i downloaded the victron app to use with one if their smart chargers..and noticed I had to be within yards of the charger to have a connection..
Andy..

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
My Smartshunt is under the passenger seat and my smart solar is in the control panel cupboard above the hab door and I can connect to both from the house, although the Smartshunt will connect from further away.

it might be something to do with the speaker that is also in the above door cupboard?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have nothing to compare it with but i downloaded the victron app to use with one if their smart chargers..and noticed I had to be within yards of the charger to have a connection..
Andy..
I have the Bluetooth adaptor on my BMV700, with my last phone I could only connect if inside the van or just outside it. With my current phone & tablet I can connect from my office inside the house about 4 to 5 m from where the unit is in the van.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have the smartshunt. It’s really useful to know exactly how much charge I have left and I can’t fault it for that.

You are right though, the range is awful!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back