Battery Master not working? (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Motorhome has been parked up since 20th Oct with the Alarm on. Went to start it this morning and the battery was flat. I plugged into EHU for a couple or three hours and it starts ok.
I have a battery master fiitted which I thought would utilise the 2 x Leisure Batteries to start the Engine if the Engine Battery couldnt, but this didnt appear to happen - even with the Leisure Batteries showing 14 volts on hook up the Engine wouldnt start until I left if on hook up for a while. The leisure battery voltmeter didnt flicker when I tried to start the engine.
Any ideas how I can check/test or am I mistaken as to what the Battery Master does?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
leisure battery cannot be used to start the engine.....it doesnt have the required wiring size or suitable relay.

battery master is to link the hab and starter batteries for charging purposes only....ie: relatively low current, not the 400 or so amps needed for starting.

many American RVs have the ability to do this, but the hab and starter batteries are connected with starter motor sized cables and a 400amp relay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the replies - posted before I read the instructions - we have a solar panel but I guess we havent had the sun for the last 3 weeks and now the alarm is working properly and flashing the leds front/back/inside 24/7 maybe the drain is significant.
Will keep on EHU although we usually use it most weekends it was just I was hospitalised and recuperating so pride and joy didnt get the usual attention.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The battery master was designed for vehicles that DO NOT have solar panels'
It works by transfering charge from the liesure batteries to the engine battery whenever the engine battery falls to more than half a volt or so below that of the liesures.
Eddie designed it in response to alarms flattening the engine battery.
Having said that it is also suitable for vans that do have solar although the better device in this case is a CBE CSB2 often sourced for around ÂŁ25
If your engine battery is not keeping up despite having a good voltage on your leisures then you either have a bad connection on the battery master or the engine battery terminals.

EDIT
Having re read your post
The fact that your batteries show 14 volts on hook up does not mean your batteries are not flat it is simply showing the charger output voltage.
I suspect in this case that they were discharged in their effort to maintain the engine battery.
This cannot happen with the CSB2 as it only sends surplus charge to the engine battery whilst with battery master the leisure batteries are at the mercy of the engine battery

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
had battery master on my last van and suffered the fate of all batteries becoming flat as a result of the trickle discharge to alarm etc.

so your battery master must have a wiring issue. or as Techno says perhaps your liesure batts were also flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would make sure there isn't anything else aside from the alarm draining your batteries.
With this you cannot flatten your leisure batteries
Link Removed

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks again for the advice - I will keep an eye on the batteries over the next few days to see what happens. There is nothing else on (as far as I can see) that would cause a drain on the batteries other than the alarm.
Will also check the wiring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back