Battery Master alternatives (1 Viewer)

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
Just been recommended this alternative and cheaper charge controller.
<Broken link removed>
Anyone tried it? It also appears to trickle charge by up to 3 amps which would be handy as my radio is wired to the vehicle battery.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not that one..but there are many..subtle differences in the way some work in terms of actuation and current capability..
CBE do one..
I've got the sterling one fitted in my van
And there are many others.. all vastly overpriced fir what they are.. (y) :ROFLMAO:
Andy

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I bought the Votronic version to couple with a Victron MPPT when I installed my panels. I was too tight to spend money on Eddie's superior version as I was unlikely to use LifePo batteries in the future! Works fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
One of the reasons I chose the Vanbitz Battery Master was that it will charge the van battery from the leisure battery if the leisure battery is at a higher voltage (subject to limits!)

The Victron one relies on solar, ehu or gennie to charge the cab battery (on my set up the hook up cable plugs into the gennie instead of a ehu post - so no difference )

In my case, parked up & covered in snow for 4 weeks of snowboarding with no solar or hookup, I am happy that any cab battery drain is supplemented from the hab battery - well it's worked so far🙂

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
There is also the Victron Cyrix ... doesn't use diodes and relays so has a very low voltage drop across it. Nice piece of kit ...
Cheers

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As others have said we are comparing completely different beast, understand what you want the box of tricks to do and then choose the correct tool for the job.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I’ve used the CBE csb2 and the Vanbits battery master, both well made great bits of kit......but work differently.

As already mentioned you need to decide what you need and how you want it to operate, then decide on which unit suits. 👍🏼

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you have something installed with a high parasitic draw, why not save pennies and connect it directly to the leisure battery? If you avoid such unexpected drains on the starter battery, the vehicle will look after it on its own.
Adding an extra gizmo will just add an additional drain (it must take some power) on the leisure battery as well as your pocket.

OP
OP
T

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
Certainly lots to chose from. I see the benefit of a simple product that just ensures the main battery is kept charged during periods when the van is parked up unused for a while, for which the solar panel will provide the charge. I am going for a Panasonic hit panel that is higher voltage combined with a victon controller, so I can use their Bluetooth app and I think i will select the votronic charge master to keep the main battery charged over periods on non use.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Certainly lots to chose from. I see the benefit of a simple product that just ensures the main battery is kept charged during periods when the van is parked up unused for a while, for which the solar panel will provide the charge. I am going for a Panasonic hit panel that is higher voltage combined with a victon controller, so I can use their Bluetooth app and I think i will select the votronic charge master to keep the main battery charged over periods on non use.
I am assuming that you mean Votronic StandBy charger, you just have to hope that the solar takes the habitation batteries high enough to trigger the StandBy charger in the winter.

OP
OP
T

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
Fine point!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There is also the Victron Cyrix ... doesn't use diodes and relays so has a very low voltage drop across it. Nice piece of kit ...
The reason there's not much voltage drop is that it uses a heavy-duty relay. This is switched by a smart circuit that monitors the source battery voltage, and only connects the relay when the source battery is being charged. There are several Cyrix models (Cyrices?), depending on the amps and the battery type.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back